Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA Z77 DS3H
CPU
I5-2500k
Graphics
Nvidia GForce 210
So I finally got around to attempting to get working WIFI on this laptop, but I'm having some bizarre issues.

Some seem linked to other threads I've read, and I've tried those workarounds to no avail.

The one difference I'm experiencing is that I've randomly been able to get it working a couple of times already but I don't seem to have any control over when that happens. I randomly went into System Preferences a couple of times and lo and behold, there were my networks listed, this is normally not the case. On those two occasions, it did not seem to save my settings and the problem was back on reboot.

As far as I can tell I ordered the correct Atheros card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092JZD5C/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Unfortunately, since I read the lone comment in the reviews reporting success with a hackintosh, another has been added that states the opposite. Could the card just be faulty? All I know is when I boot up, I get the HP error WLAN Module ID (702).

Does this have something to do with whitelisting? I was under the impression that Atheros Ar5b195, 593127-001 was a workable solution.

This is what I've tried since installing the card:
-Ran Probook Installer again and made sure I selected Atheros Wifi.
-Reset BIOS security defaults.
-Restored BIOS to defaults.
-Checked a box in BIOS relating to shared LAN.

There is an option to upgrade the BIOS listed. I don't believe I've ever done so on this laptop. Is that safe to do? Would it mess up my working OSX? Could that possibly be the problem?

Although 7 times out of 10 it seems like it's not going to work, it's the 2 times it has that have me confused. Seems the card is recognized but it can't find networks.

So I finally got around to attempting to get working WIFI on this laptop, but I'm having some bizarre issues.

Some seem linked to other threads I've read, and I've tried those workarounds to no avail.

The one difference I'm experiencing is that I've randomly been able to get it working a couple of times already but I don't seem to have any control over when that happens. I randomly went into System Preferences a couple of times and lo and behold, there were my networks listed, this is normally not the case. On those two occasions, it did not seem to save my settings and the problem was back on reboot.

As far as I can tell I ordered the correct Atheros card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092JZD5C/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Unfortunately, since I read the lone comment in the reviews reporting success with a hackintosh, another has been added that states the opposite. Could the card just be faulty? All I know is when I boot up, I get the HP error WLAN Module ID (702).

Does this have something to do with whitelisting? I was under the impression that Atheros Ar5b195, 593127-001 was a workable solution.

This is what I've tried since installing the card:
-Ran Probook Installer again and made sure I selected Atheros Wifi.
-Reset BIOS security defaults.
-Restored BIOS to defaults.
-Checked a box in BIOS relating to shared LAN.

There is an option to upgrade the BIOS listed. I don't believe I've ever done so on this laptop. Is that safe to do? Would it mess up my working OSX? Could that possibly be the problem?

Although 7 times out of 10 it seems like it's not going to work, it's the 2 times it has that have me confused. Seems the card is recognized but it can't find networks.

Define "this laptop".
Please fill out your profile as per FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

See also, FAQ, "Problem Reporting".

Note: Probook Installer is deprecated.

Define "this laptop".
Please fill out your profile as per FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

See also, FAQ, "Problem Reporting".

Note: Probook Installer is deprecated.

I went in and added the Probook 4530s to my profile.

Probook Installer is no longer in use, but because I used Unibeast and not Clover that is what I'm working with.

This is all I can gather from the FAQ section as it relates to me and this problem:

"For AR9285/AR9287, you can also use ProBookAtheros.kext. It will even work on Snow Leopard. It is available from the ProBook repo: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch (direct link to zip: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/archive/master.zip)

In some laptops, after installing supported WiFi hardware and enabling the driver as discussed above, the radio may refuse to power up. As a result, no networks are seen. Correct ACPI patches can sometimes help (eg. correct "OS Check Fix" patch). In other cases, even that is not enough (you will notice it affects both Windows, OS X and perhaps Linux). For half-mini PCIe, you can tape pin 20 to disable the "radio disable" function. For NGFF/M.2, tape pins 54 and 60."

So I did effectively inject the Atheros kexts through the Probook Installer. That is how the suggestion reads correct?

Can someone please confirm that I am at least using the correct card based on the link I provided? Thanks.

There is no 4530s in your visible profile/signature.
Please read the FAQ carefully.

Recommend you follow the new guide.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11.189416/

You had said profile, so I added it, now you're saying signature? It won't be visible because the majority of my profile is filled in with the hardware for my Snow Leopard workstation.

I'm not going to get into Clover when my machine is functioning just fine aside from WIFI. I know for a fact that this problem had been solved when the Probook Installer was in fashion because that is where I got the information about which card to get. My understanding was it was always "plug and play." I'm here simply asking why this is happening, is it hardware I should return? You haven't even replied as to whether I have the correct card, which is primarily what I'm asking.

You had said profile, so I added it, now you're saying signature?

The FAQ is very clear.
You're currently using your profile for your desktop (no laptop details there).
In the case of already used profile, you should enter it in the signature.
It must be visible on each post.

I'm not going to get into Clover when my machine is functioning just fine aside from WIFI.

Sorry... I'm not providing support for those that have not followed the current guide.

You haven't even replied as to whether I have the correct card, which is primarily what I'm asking.

You provided no "Problem Reporting" files.

The FAQ is very clear.
You're currently using your profile for your desktop (no laptop details there).
In the case of already used profile, you should enter it in the signature.
It must be visible on each post.

Sorry... I'm not providing support for those that have not followed the current guide.

You provided no "Problem Reporting" files.

Can I use one of the above laptops with a different wifi card than the Atheros 9285?

Yes. However, it is not supported (your WiFi will not work). It is recommended that you replace your card with an Atheros 9285 card compatible with the Probook. Note that the HP BIOS implements a "whitelist" so you must purchase one that passes this whitelist. Getting a card from a source other than HP (ebay, etc) is tricky, so be prepared to do your research about returns, or order directly from HP.

BigDonkey provides the following additional information:

Part number for
Atheros AR9002WB-1NGB 802.11b/g/n 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR Combo Adapter 593127-001

If someone wants to use 300Mbps WiFi only card BCM94322HM8Lwhich is supported natively by OSX and don't mind "702 error" and extra steps, part number is 504664-001 more details here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...eneral-our-wifi-whitelisting-days-0v3r-6.html

I have wifi drops or wifi doesn't work, what should I do?

You HAVE to have the Atheros 9285 for support from us. If you have it and it doesn't work, there are a few things that may need done.

Another thing which commonly fixes it is to go into system preferences and delete all the network items from the network area. Then add back ethernet and wifi and try again.

Also, you can try hitting the wifi button. Be patient as you turn it on and off. Give it time to respond. Also make sure it works in Windows or Linux. It is possible you may have turned it off accidentally in BIOS.

IMG_20170508_182435736_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170508_182447562.jpg

Last edited:
Can I use one of the above laptops with a different wifi card than the Atheros 9285?

Yes. However, it is not supported (your WiFi will not work). It is recommended that you replace your card with an Atheros 9285 card compatible with the Probook. Note that the HP BIOS implements a "whitelist" so you must purchase one that passes this whitelist. Getting a card from a source other than HP (ebay, etc) is tricky, so be prepared to do your research about returns, or order directly from HP.

BigDonkey provides the following additional information:

Part number for
Atheros AR9002WB-1NGB 802.11b/g/n 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR Combo Adapter 593127-001

If someone wants to use 300Mbps WiFi only card BCM94322HM8Lwhich is supported natively by OSX and don't mind "702 error" and extra steps, part number is 504664-001 more details here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...eneral-our-wifi-whitelisting-days-0v3r-6.html

I have wifi drops or wifi doesn't work, what should I do?

You HAVE to have the Atheros 9285 for support from us. If you have it and it doesn't work, there are a few things that may need done.

Another thing which commonly fixes it is to go into system preferences and delete all the network items from the network area. Then add back ethernet and wifi and try again.

Also, you can try hitting the wifi button. Be patient as you turn it on and off. Give it time to respond. Also make sure it works in Windows or Linux. It is possible you may have turned it off accidentally in BIOS.

View attachment 253457 View attachment 253458

The card in the images you provided will not work in a 4530s.
Read the guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11.189416/

The HP part# is provided in the guide.
It is clear from your images that you have a Dell part.

The card in the images you provided will not work in a 4530s.
Read the guide:

The HP part# is provided in the guide.
It is clear from your images that you have a Dell part.

Thanks, I did do my research, and purchased this card based on the part # 593127-001. The seller lists it as an official HP part on Amazon. Is there something in the images that gives away its status as a Dell part? I've already initiated a return, but I will add this to my comments to him. Previously, I had just stated that the BIOS rejected it. I will order directly from HP this time.
IMG_20170508_204012054.jpg

Thanks, I did do my research, and purchased this card based on the part # 593127-001. The seller lists it as an official HP part on Amazon. Is there something in the images that gives away its status as a Dell part? I've already initiated a return, but I will add this to my comments to him. Previously, I had just stated that the BIOS rejected it. I will order directly from HP this time.View attachment 253469

DW1702 indicates "Dell Wireless 1702".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back