Contribute
Register

Correct install procedure, but no LAN on GA-X58A-UD3R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Lnx2mac,

Thanks for your comment.

Unfortunately things are no longer ok. Installed several software packages and did some more software updates and things are messed up.

After installing Ilife11, run Disk Utility, had permissions issues but repair corrected it. But Ethernet no longer connects automatically. Need to turn off/on router, for LAN to connect.

Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 3, run Disk Utility, long list of errors (all with some Java references), but repair does not do the trick. Errors keeps as they were. Again, LAN only works after router is switched off/on again.

Did not run my machine long enough to see if this is going to cause issues or crashes.

LAN at least is working (after router off/on), so this is not the end of the world. I have a system backup on one of the partitions, I will try to make another clean install with all the updates and install the LAN driver only at the end. Let's see what happens then.

joliv999 said:
Hi Lnx2mac,

Thanks for your comment.

Unfortunately things are no longer ok. Installed several software packages and did some more software updates and things are messed up.
:(

After installing Ilife11, run Disk Utility, had permissions issues but repair corrected it. But Ethernet no longer connects automatically. Need to turn off/on router, for LAN to connect.

Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 3, run Disk Utility, long list of errors (all with some Java references), but repair does not do the trick. Errors keeps as they were. Again, LAN only works after router is switched off/on again.
Just ran the Software Update, and got iTunes 10.1 and the Java Update you mention.
Installed... Ethernet works.
Rebooted... Ethernet works.

I guess the problem is unrelated... Could be your router ?

Did not run my machine long enough to see if this is going to cause issues or crashes.

LAN at least is working (after router off/on), so this is not the end of the world. I have a system backup on one of the partitions, I will try to make another clean install with all the updates and install the LAN driver only at the end. Let's see what happens then.
Can you try booting with your system backup and see if the problem persists ?
If so, it's unrelated to this update.

Hi Lnx2mac,

My backup system works fine and the problem should not be the router.

Did a couple more clean install each, with Java update and Ilife11 separately. I can confirm that for my install, every time the same permission errors appear.

For Ilife, "repair permissions" clears it. For Java not. I think this is strange, but does not seem to affect stability (did not do any long run yet).

As far as LAN is concerned, it is not broken. It will work if I switch the router off and on again. If I re-start the system, have to repeat procedure with the router every time.

I mean, it's not the end of the world, for me it's just a small inconvenience.

With the back system, everything just works fine.

I will rebuild a new system, but will skip both Java and Ilife. Using Aperture, Final Cut Studio and Adobe CS5, so Ilife is unnecessary.

joliv999,

Are you using DHCP ? What if you try to renew ?

Also, can you install the Debug version and post your kernel.log ?

Lnx2mac,

Yes, using DHCP. Tried IPv4 off/on, manual,...no dice. Once switch router off/on, it works automatically with DHCP.

All of this is very strange indeed. Others seem to have no issues with LAN or permissions. Anyway, I'll forget about the Java update for time being, not sure what benefits it carries anyway.

Should any future SW update require this one to be installed, I'll see by then.

I wonder if that's the Java update or an ilife component...
But neither should be messing with the network kexts...
How about updating one by one to identify the culprit ?
How about installing the kext again ?

Did all that already. No mater what, Java always give me permission issues that don't get repaired. I will not install it anymore.

But I did just found out a new twist. Earlier I thought that Network would not connect with shutting off/on the router first.

Left my system idle for a few minutes, LAN would connect by itself. Made a few test runs, with separate systems both after Ilife install and Java update, and LAN would come on by itself. But again, only after around 4-6 minutes, time does not seem to be consistent.

So, as far as I'm concerned, I can live with this.

joliv999 said:
But I did just found out a new twist. Earlier I thought that Network would not connect with shutting off/on the router first.

Left my system idle for a few minutes, LAN would connect by itself. Made a few test runs, with separate systems both after Ilife install and Java update, and LAN would come on by itself. But again, only after around 4-6 minutes, time does not seem to be consistent.

So, as far as I'm concerned, I can live with this.
When it doesn't connect, please do the following:
1) Open System Preferences
2) Select Network
3) Select the Ethernet Adapter
4) Click on the Advanced button
5) Click on the Renew DHCP Lease button

Does it get the right IP address ?

Hi,

Tried to "Renew DHCP lease", nothing happens. Stills keeps saying "Cable not connected..."

By the way, my machine seems to have a life of its own. Before it would connect on its own after +/- 5 min. Since today, no longer does.

Router off/on is still ok though.

Wow... I just had the same issue....

After successful install of 10.6.5 version with new new drivers for GTX460 I lost my lan after a day of usage. I couldn't get it working period. It didnt' work in linux or windows.

I have GA-X58A-UD3R rev.1.0 with F6 bios. I literally tried everything.... So, I unplugged everything including power cord and LAN cable... After 8 hours I turned PC on, and... magic, it is working again :) I guess, it has to do something with power cycle...

I nearly disassembled my MOBO and send it back to Taiwan.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back