i7 7700 K
Graphics
Intel HD630
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

Someone else wrote on another thread I didn't want to use so I start this one, which should be short

Kexts can ONLY be in /System/Library/Extensions.

The use of /Extra/Extensions was originally designed for use in earlier versions of OS X and is no longer supported.

I think I was advised to create an Extra folder at the root of the drive - eg OS X > Extra folder - and then to put .kexts into this folder.

This is at odds with the need to put kexts into S/L/E

If I add a kext or two, for example FakeSMC, or any other kexts where are they supposed to go?

S/L/E ?

The vanilla install of OS X has a whole bunch of .kexts installed and I thought possibly these are the factory kexts as it were and any I added would go into the Extra / extensions

I think this is important to know totally what the situation is - thanks

Hi,

Someone else wrote on another thread I didn't want to use so I start this one, which should be short

Kexts can ONLY be in /System/Library/Extensions.

The use of /Extra/Extensions was originally designed for use in earlier versions of OS X and is no longer supported.

I think I was advised to create an Extra folder at the root of the drive - eg OS X > Extra folder - and then to put .kexts into this folder.

This is at odds with the need to put kexts into S/L/E

If I add a kext or two, for example FakeSMC, or any other kexts where are they supposed to go?

S/L/E ?

The vanilla install of OS X has a whole bunch of .kexts installed and I thought possibly these are the factory kexts as it were and any I added would go into the Extra / extensions

I think this is important to know totally what the situation is - thanks

Most everyone is using Clover these days.

With Clover, you can inject from EFI/Clover/kexts/Other (or the version specific directory under kexts/), but Clover injection should only be used when necessary (installer/recovery), and only for essential kexts (kexts needed for installer/recovery).

And current versions of macOS/OS X, kexts can be installed to either /System/Library/Extensions or /Library/Extensions. If the system supports it (10.11 or later), best to install to /L/E.

/Extra/Extensions is a Chameleon thing. Does not apply to Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back