1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
I recently upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite and the installer created a Recovery Partition, which I didn't want, and did something wacky to the partition table.

I dual boot Linux on a separate disk and USED to be able to access my OS X Home directory from Linux.

Now Linux will not mount the "Logical Volume" and DiskUtility, even with its secret debug mode enabled, will not let me delete the waste-of-space Recovery Partition.

Look how simple the Linux partition table is (/dev/disk0) and how needlessly complex the Apple disk is (/dev/disk1).....

Is there any way to get rid of this Core Storage nonsense? Without a reinstall? I'm a bit worried that if I delete everything on disk1 and reinstall, the installer will just create the same Core Storage mess again.

I don't need support for any goofy hybrid fusion drives or encrypted filesystems. Thinking different, but Yosemite is getting in the way, LOL.

Code:
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *512.1 GB   disk0
   1:                      Linux                         512.1 GB   disk0s1
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *480.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         479.2 GB   disk1s2
   [B]3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3[/B]
/dev/disk2
   [B]0:                  Apple_HFS M500                   *478.9 GB   disk2
                                 Logical Volume on disk1s2
                                 91C27051-4231-49DF-A4C2-A983AB3EBDEB
                                 Unencrypted[/B]

open terminal
type: sudo diskutil coreStorage revert 91C27051-4231-49DF-A4C2-A983AB3EBDEB <- The UUID of the logical volume

Warning: Backup first.
Then reboot.

sudo diskutil coreStorage revert 91C27051-4231-49DF-A4C2-A983AB3EBDEB

Thanks! That did it.

Rebooted and now diskutil list says:
Code:
/dev/disk0
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *512.1 GB   disk0
   1:                      Linux                         512.1 GB   disk0s1
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *480.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS M500                    479.2 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3

I dual boot Linux on a separate disk and USED to be able to access my OS X Home directory from Linux.

The main thing was to be able to access the HFS+ partition from Linux. Now that the bizarroworld-fix-for-what-aint-broke Apple Core BS is gone, I can do that.

I'll probably get around to merging the two partitions when I'm in the mood to study the diskutil man page....

I heard there was a way to wipe the Recovery parition and nondestructively add it to the end of the root partition, but has anyone done this recently? Most stuff online is from Lion days, which was quite a while ago.

Now that the bizarroworld-fix-for-what-aint-broke Apple Core BS is gone, I can do that.

Just because you and your future self don't use it does not mean it's useless bizzaroworld stuff. People got mad at Apple for forcing the world to use USB also, they thought that Apple Desktop Bus was just fine. Who needs that BizzaroWorld USB stuff anyway? Right?

Who needs that BizzaroWorld USB stuff anyway? Right?

At the time, USB was far from mature, floppy disks were standard boot devices and sneakernet, and Apple was a "beleaguered" company that people weren't sure would be around much longer. I think Apple was even hostile to USB before that, trying to make people use firewire.

Trying to force people to adopt new hardware before it is ready didn't help. I remember passing up those pretty-colored OS9 macs in BestBuy back in 199x because they had no floppy drives. And terrible one-button mice? That's not simplicity, it was just dumb.

I don't know about most hackintoshers, but the whole reason I got into hackintoshing was to have choices again. More and more stuff in the newest mac laptops is soldered to the board, they still have too few USB ports, all the macbooks I own have LOUD fans and run hot (unless you only use them for office work), and it is a royal pain to install Linux thanks to Apple's hybrid paritition GPT/MBR mess.

Why do I still use OS X? About all Apple does well is colors and fonts. OOB, I still prefer the look of OS X to anything MSFT or Canonical or Google come up with. UI might be a superficial thing, but one has to look at it all the time.

Anyway, I think the installer ought to provide info and ASK if you wish to upgrade, NOT silently FORCE it on you and make you wonder what the hell happened. Especially when it is something likely to break 3rd party bootloaders and make your root partition inaccessible to Windows/Linux. Oh well, Windows 9x was a jealous operating system too, back in its heyday.

Thanks for the help AppleIIGuy; now Yosemite sucks less, LOL.

My drive was not converted to CoreStorage... When does Yosemite actually implement it?

PHP:
/dev/disk0
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *256.1 GB   disk0
   1:                       0xEF                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:               Windows_NTFS Win8                    255.8 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *3.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Mac                     3.0 TB     disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3

Maybe only certain mac model ids have this happen?

Like the disappearing Energy Saver sleep slider? (After upgrading to Yosemite, I'm no longer allowed to decide how long before sleep.) I've read that some Macs had already lost this function in Mavericks.

I chose MacBookPro 11,2 for my laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back