i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
6-30-18 This has sold out at the $169.99 price. Here's the next best.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIAAJ27CH8782

6-19-18
The i7-3770 HP SFF is now selling for $169.99 on Newegg. Click the link below.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIAAJ27CH8781
Set up a dual boot system (Windows/macOS) that can do some basic gaming and also run all macOS apps with ease. You could use Logic Pro for audio work and either iMovie or FCP X for video work.

With the upgrades below you'll have 12 GB of ram and a graphics card with DP output to connect to a 4K monitor. You won't be able to game at 4K but you could easily view 4K content. As stated below you can get the 1050 Ti LP for better gaming. The GT 1030 works well for E-Sports titles like Rocket League etc. If you want to do a lot of FCP X editing get the MSI RX 560 instead.

The total now with the recommended upgrades is about $420 if Newegg doesn't charge sales tax in the state you live in.
Screen Shot 1.jpg

Complete Guide for installing High Sierra on the HP 8300

Original post from 12/17 :
Also see this thread for the USFF (ultra small) version of the HP CustoMac.

When you add more ram (8GB Kit) See this post for how to install the G.Skill ram in your HP 8300 SFF. Adding that bumps you up to 16 GB of ram which can handle most anything you will do with this build. With the 250 GB Samsung SSD and a GT 1030 graphics card this build is amazingly still about the same price as the 2014 mini that is unbearably slow and outdated with a 1.4 GHz dual core laptop CPU, 4GB of ram and mediocre Intel HD integrated graphics. The best choice is easy !

This HP CustoMac also lets you easily dual boot with Windows (on the 500 GB mechanical drive) and game with that OS. If you are a serious gamer you can always spend more and get a LP GTX 1050 Ti and play most all the AAA titles at high settings. If you don't game you can even skip discrete graphics altogether and use the HD4000 via the onboard DP output.

Last edited:
Just ordered it all for my Sons first CustomMAC Build TY - I will most likely need help or pointing in the right direction for the install. We upgraded to the LP GTX 1050 Ti

Just ordered it all for my Sons first CustomMAC Build TY - I will most likely need help or pointing in the right direction for the install. We upgraded to the LP GTX 1050 Ti
See the HP 6300/8300 guide which is linked to below in my sig. Post there if you have questions.

Forgive me for the very raw, question; I only signed up today and have only been starting to read through the great information here.

I have been thinking of just starting with the cheapest build I can for practice playing with doing the actual Hackintosh. So if I understand correctly, I could buy that pc and I can convert it to hackintosh without any changes, or put in a second drive and make that Hackintosh and keep the windows for dual booting. I am not much of a gamer or a fan of windows these days so would be thinking I would just convert to Hackintosh, then come back later and add the flash drive and later the graphics card maybe.

Thanks

Forgive me for the very raw, question; I only signed up today and have only been starting to read through the great information here.

I have been thinking of just starting with the cheapest build I can for practice playing with doing the actual Hackintosh. So if I understand correctly, I could buy that pc and I can convert it to hackintosh without any changes, or put in a second drive and make that Hackintosh and keep the windows for dual booting. I am not much of a gamer or a fan of windows these days so would be thinking I would just convert to Hackintosh, then come back later and add the flash drive and later the graphics card maybe.

Thanks
If you want the i7-3770 version you can use the Display Port output and the Intel HD4000 graphics without a separate graphics card. If your monitor has only HDMI and not DP input then use a 7 dollar DP to HDMI cable. You can wipe the Windows drive and install macOS over that. Add a second drive later on for Windows if need be. MacOS will run on just 4GB of ram but you can't do much multitasking with only that much. Most new Macs come with 8GB standard these days. It will work perfectly ok for the install to use just 4 GB.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have three monitors, one only via so no go, one with hdmi (would get the cable) and one thunderbolt which from what I have read, is possible but difficult so would not tackle that first.

Thanks. I have three monitors, one only via so no go, one with hdmi (would get the cable) and one thunderbolt which from what I have read, is possible but difficult so would not tackle that first.
Correct, best to adapt DP to the HDMI monitor. Haven't seen anyone use a TH.Bolt card with these. Don't believe that is even possible to do.

Correct, best to adapt DP to the HDMI monitor. Haven't seen anyone use a TH.Bolt card with these. Don't believe that is even possible to do.

I think the Motherboard would need the thunderbolt capable port similar to a USB header for the front of the case and a PCI slot thunderbolt adapter. Most likely this model does not have the T header so the PCI adapter wouldn't have anything to link to.

Great little build for a newcomer the only things to add would be bluetooth (USB $15) and or Wifi adapter. The graphics will work fairly well for 1080p, maybe swap out RAM for 8-16gb later.

Anyone using dual displays with this computer? What card would i need to buy to use 2 Dell 2415 monitors?

Anyone using dual displays with this computer? What card would i need to buy to use 2 Dell 2415 monitors?

I'm running two 1080 monitors using a GT710 2 GB, and that card supports 2560x1600 over DVI and 4096x2160 over HDMI, so I have to imagine pretty much any card could handle that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back