1. iOS
I am about to purchase the following for my setup:

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
Intel Core i7 860 2.8ghz
Corsair Dominator RAM 4GB PC312800
Evga nVidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB
CoolerMaster C690 II Advanced Case
WD 1TB Caviar Green Sata HDD

It seems that all of these parts should compatible. I am concerned about the Video Card performance and reliability. I am going to be using this setup to replace my current MAC G5 2.0 Dual Core PPC workstation for video editing with FCP and graphic design with 3D modeling programs.

Any thoughts?

Unless either of those applications can take advantage of GPU acceleration I doubt the performance of the graphics card is going to be a huge issue.
Don't bother with the 1GB version though, it'll most likely be slower than the 512MB card, as they tend to use cheaper, slower memory on cards in that price range.
You might also want to look at a 512MB 9600GT or maybe even a 9800GT.
Looks like a good build otherwise, solid set of components.

just a FYI the 9500GT 512MB DDR3 is the same as the GT120(rebranding) on the macpro.. you can do anything the macpro does..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_9_Series
"The GT 120 is a based on the 9500 GT with improved thermal designs"

same stuff, the GT 120 maybe can run cooler but the performance is the same ;)

Just my 2cents regarding graphics cards:
most people don't realize that more important thant the size of the onboard RAM is the memory bus. These cards come in 64, 128, and 256 memory-bus versions and of course this is where the real bottleneck and expense is. The 9500 nvidia uses a 128 memory-bus and that's where the "weakness" lies in this card... starting with 9600 you get 256-bus memory, as far as I know.

So a 256-bus card is what you want... whether it is 512 , 1 or 2 GB is really of secondary importance. Anything above 512MB is really just marketing at this stage...

hiside, ninetto

I would suggest a black HD, I am building a similar system and it was suggested to me to get a black HD. Greens are slow...

That is very close to my system. I have the 9500GT 512mb DDR3 but otherwise the same. You should have no problems.....

WD Green drives aren't slow, they offer variable rotational speed. Yes, they're slower than the Black's, but I but a Green in my GF's new computer and it's actually a lot faster than most of my older SATA driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back