Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, I'm new here but read quite a lot about hackintosh and also watched many tutorials on how to build your own, as I am a student and therefore don't have that big of a budget to buy myself a MacPro, but need it for video/audio editing since my MacBook Pro just melts when I just try to render anything. :D
TL;DR:
I'm planning on building a video/audio editing rig that focuses on quiet operation and should serve secondary as gaming pc (maybe I'll try a dualboot system) and wanted to ask, if the components I chose are compatible in this configuration:

CPU: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-4770K-Prozessor-Sockel-LGA1150/dp/B00CO8TBQ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402673913&sr=8-1&keywords=intel+core+i7+4770k

Graphics: http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-NVIDIA-GeForce-Grafikkarte-Speicher/dp/B00D4KCSHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402674069&sr=8-1&keywords=zotac+gtx+770

MBO: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CUYOVXQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=tonymacx8603-21#productDetails

RAM: http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B007TG8QRW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=tonymacx8603-21

What do you think? Are there any components that you would expect to make trouble or that you would replace?

Many thanks in advance for your help and the great page!

Greetings.

Corsair RAM and Gigabyte boards don't seem to play nice in Mavericks. Would swap out for Crucial of G Skill.

Otherwise looks like a solid build. You got your other parts sorted as well?

Thanks, didn't know this with the RAM, but the latest build guide I watched was with Lion or ML I think so good to know :D

Yes I got it pretty much figured out, here's the rest of the parts (my thought in the first post was just to keep it short and so I reduced it to the components that I thought could be making trouble)
So here's the rest of the build:

As system drive I will use an OCZ Agility 3 120gb, have the same one in my macbook and am quite happy with the performance/price.
http://www.amazon.com/OCZ%C2%A0Technology%C2%A0120GB-2-5-Inch-Midrange-Performance-AGT3-25SAT3-120G/dp/B004Z0S6SO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402740156&sr=1-1&keywords=ocz+agility+3+120gb

I haven't made many thoughts of a HDD yet, since I also assumed that these would be less of a problem when they act only as secondary drive, so I will get, whatever has the best price/performance at the time. (I should have mentioned, that I'll buy this step by step, since I'm a poor student :D)

The PSU will be this one, seemed also like a good compromise of the criteria above (also I figured out, that the PSU won't propably make any compatibility issues so I searched mainly for a quiet one)
http://www.amazon.com/quiet-Pure-Power-L8-CM-630W-Netzteil/dp/B005JRGVBQ/ref=pd_sim_computers_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=02TYJ05RVGTC8VT16C5X

For the case I will go for the Bitfenix Ronin, seems like a good compromise of price, cooling, quietness and optics (although this is indeed my last criteria :D)
http://www.amazon.com/BitFenix-Power-Supply-Tower-BFC-RON-300-KKWSK-RP/dp/B00GVAQ21E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402739639&sr=8-1&keywords=bitfenix+ronin

As a CPU-Cooler I chose the corsair H100i, because ... Didn't find a better one in hours of search :D
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Extreme-Performance-Wasserk%C3%BChler-CW-9060009-WW/dp/B009ZN2NH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402672884&sr=8-1&keywords=h100i

I think that's pretty much all, periphals and Display will be used from what i have now (Apple USB Keyboard, Asus 24" screen and Sharkoon Drakonia Mouse).

Best regards.

A little question regarding the liquid cooling loop, do you think, the NZXT X61 Kraken will work without issues?
This cooler sounds especially interesting because it has a variable speed waterpump, since I'm planning on going for quiet operation and haven't chosen a cooler yet, this thing sounds very interesting.

Thanks in advance.

Just a little update, since the system is now (partly) up and running. After trying out 4 (!) cases, I finally found one, that suits my needs regarding silence and built quality and as well fits my h110.
You may notice, that there's currently no GPU installed and only 4gb of ram, the graphics card should arrive this or next week, the RAM aswell. Here is the final components list, which i use / will use (with no real issues, other than my stupidity, to this point :D)

MBO: Gigabyte Z87X-OC
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k
RAM: 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
GPU: Zotac GTX 780 (coming soon)
SSD: Samsung EVO 840

Case: NZXT h440 Black/Orange
Cooling: Corsair h110 (2x140mm Stock Fans), 3x120 NZXT Stock Fans, 1x140mm Be Quiet Silent Wing (the stock fans will be replaced by Noctua NF-F14 for the rad and NF-F12 or Silent Wings 120 as soon as the rest of the parts arrive.
PSU: 450w BeQuiet (soon to be replaced by a real one, that has a CPU power connector that i don't have to route over the MBO :D)
Best regards.

IMG_1488.jpgIMG_1490.jpg

I am about to build an almost identical system even down to the case other than colour.

I was just wondering if you could share the BIOS settings you have found work best with the i7 4970k for stability? Did your board ship with BIOS version 8 already or did you have to upgrade it? If so, we're you able to update it with the 4970k installed?

I was a bit hesitant but couldn't resist the extra speed for the same price as the 4770k :p

thanks...

Hi, wow that's really cool, I really put a lot of research in the parts and when you look at price to performance standpoint, I think this system is pretty much the sweetspot.

So, regarding the 4790k I don't see any reason not to buy, since it's like the same price and even if you do not need the extra speed (which would be ridicoulus :D) you'd still get the upgraded thermal abilities (they put some extra capacitors on the chip and better thermal interface material).

For the BIOS settings, I had the same fear but just thought "screw it, worst case is, I'll have to borrow a CPU to do it".
My board came shipped with the F7 firmware and updating it worked like a breeze, just download the newest version off of the Gigabyte website, unpack it, throw the extracted files as they are on a flash drive, boot into the BIOS, on the last tab select Q-Flash, select the respective flash drive and let the Mainboard do the work. That's it, no issues at all, even with the "unsupported" CPU the BIOS was accessable.

One thing, I haven't figured out yet, was overclocking, I could change my multiplicator from x40 to x43 without any problems but any time I went higher, I got an error while booting into the OS. Haven't yet tried if it works booting in windows but all these will be tested, once I have the time to install the GPU. (which should be this weekend, if I'm lucky :))

Keep me updated, would be nice to have someone with a similar system, although I'm a hackintosh newb, I'll be happy to help you, if you have any further questions. Also it would be nice to get a little benchmark comparison going, especially for the CPUs I would find it interesting

Best regards and sorry for the long text. :D

Thanks for letting me know the 4790k would boot with older FW! My board also shipped with f7 but it booted fine with the 4790k. I was able to do the upgrade to the 9c firmware with Q-Flash and everything was good to go! The only difference between my system and yours is I am running HD4600 graphics, an IO Gear Bluetooth dongle and 16 GB of Crucial Vengeance LP from my previous build.

The installation of OSX was fairly straight forward and I basically have the same settings as "wildwillows" golden build for multi-beast. With the exception that I disabled Vt-d in the BIOS and turbo boost for now.

The following are the only items not working correctly:
- Airplay doesn't work.
- iTunes DRM (known issue it would appear for Haswell). My older P55 system didn't have this so I didn't realize it existed until I played a trailer and froze the system!

In any case currently I am running without a DSDT but I am going to compile one to try and fix the Airplay issue. From my initial impressions this hardware combination is going to be a winner :thumbup:

As soon I am confident in the system I am going to pouch my Noctua fans and NU-U12P SE2 from my P55 system and see if I can stabilize a mild OC. However, even without an OC the initial Geekbench scores are impressive :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back