Contribute
Register

Core i7-3970X, GA-X79-UD5 Monster SSD Build, Geekbench Score: 20313

Status
Not open for further replies.
Core i7-3970X Monster SSD Build, Geekbench Score: 20313

Very confused weather we're having here today, isn't it? :)

Thanks for the offer. How do I get in touch without clogging up this thread - seems I haven't reached the post limit for private messaging.

DBP & osturm,

The tonymacx86 Forum is about sharing problems and solutions with others.

Please post your problems/solutions in the appropriate location and thread so others may benefit from your experience. If you're not comfortable posting in this thread, start a new thread in a forum section like Mountain Lion Desktop Support or General Help. TIA.

BTW, we monitor Forum PM's in order to ensure the Forum's Rules and Policies are not being circumvented.

No problem Stork. If do we meet up locally and have a chin-wag and a beer you can expect that anything CustoMac-related we come up with would probably make its way back to the forum. You won't be left out, even if you can't make it to the party. :)

Have an elixir of gods for me. ;)

Hi Gx,

My computer is running a little hot and then read that the kraken X40 can be controlled by software (there are three settings). I would like to set it to extreme just to keep the temps down to the lowest possible (no idea what it is at right now). Is installing windows and running the software the only way to change the settings?

Thanks

Hi Gx,

My computer is running a little hot and then read that the kraken X40 can be controlled by software (there are three settings). I would like to set it to extreme just to keep the temps down to the lowest possible (no idea what it is at right now). Is installing windows and running the software the only way to change the settings?

Thanks

Hi Dnk -

Kraken Control is for Windows only.
You can plug the Kraken's fans into the PSU directly or disable your motherboard's automatic fan control or set it on high.
Directly connecting the Kraken's fans into the PSU directly will run them at max RPM.

/ gx

Hello, can you post your Extra Folder & Extensions?
I use a X79S-UP5 Hackintosh too, but i have some troubles to make the CPU run correctly.
I has made the same thing like you and has deactivated the EIST function in the BIOS menu.
Now it runs with 3,6 GHz, but only with 1 Core & 1 Thread instead of 4 Cores & 8 Threads.
You help me very much if you send me everything, that could probably help me.

Hi -

I've been reading through your build thread and it was quite informative... Thank you.

I'm looking at putting together a 3970x based machine to replace my old Mac Pro 1,1.... The 3970x is an interesting base (to me) because I get a corporate discount on Intel hardware and I can great deal on the processor and an SSD. (Do I need that amount of performance? No, but the $ savings make it attractive, though I'm not positive it is worth the possible headache since it isn't as well supported as slightly older processors/chip sets.)

Question I had was about the DDR3 you chose... I noticed you used DDR3-1600 in your spec and the Buyer's Guide section where they offer specs on a 3960x system also recommended DDR3-1600.... When I was looking at parts, it appeared that the $ for DDR3-2133 was pretty close to the DDR3-1600, for the same amount of RAM. So, given similar costs, why wouldn't you bump up to DDR3-2133, especially if you're going to overclock?

TIA,

JW

Sorry for the double post... I had my settings for posts with newest first and I didn't realize it... Thought my post hadn't worked the fist time. Ooops....

JW

Hi -

I've been reading through your build thread and it was quite informative... Thank you.

I'm looking at putting together a 3970x based machine to replace my old Mac Pro 1,1.... The 3970x is an interesting base (to me) because I get a corporate discount on Intel hardware and I can great deal on the processor and an SSD. (Do I need that amount of performance? No, but the $ savings make it attractive, though I'm not positive it is worth the possible headache since it isn't as well supported as slightly older processors/chip sets.)

Question I had was about the DDR3 you chose... I noticed you used DDR3-1600 in your spec and the Buyer's Guide section where they offer specs on a 3960x system also recommended DDR3-1600.... When I was looking at parts, it appeared that the $ for DDR3-2133 was pretty close to the DDR3-1600, for the same amount of RAM. So, given similar costs, why wouldn't you bump up to DDR3-2133, especially if you're going to overclock?

TIA,

JW

Hi JW -

I prefer stability over overclocking. This is why I left my memory speeds running at default frequencies. Unless I'm running benchmarks all day, the differences in every day gains are negligible -- at least for what I do. For what it's worth, the Samsung Greens are widely regarded as the best performance memory on enthusiast forums, and can run stable at 2133MHz no problem.

The only thing I left to overclocking chance was the CPU, and not much of an overclock at that. I did not do anything that required me to play with voltages or timings.

Hope this helps!

/ gx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back