Contribute
Register

Core i7-3970X, GA-X79-UD5 Monster SSD Build, Geekbench Score: 20313

Status
Not open for further replies.
Core i7-3970X Monster SSD Build, Geekbench Score: 20313

Hi,
i need some help with my build, it's not exactly like yours I use i7 3930k and GA X79S UD5. I'm kind of new in hackintosh stuff. I was able to install osx 10.8.2 and enable turboboost and hypertherating but my cpu has really low performance (only 6139 on 64bit geekbench) i don't know where i made a mistake - i do noting on the bios only turn off cpu for instalation and turn on after. On the system info it shows 1.2Ghz 6 cores Intel Xeon.

Pleas help me Obi Wan Kenobi - your my only hope :)

Sorry for my English - I'm prom Poland.

@kaincirus : Do you mean GA-X79S-UP5 or GA-X79-UD5 ?

Because my system is built upon X79-UD5 and a Core i7 3930k and achieves 20k in Geekbench 64bits (it's o/c at 4.2GHz.)

End of day failure comments
I was able to boot using UseKernalCache=0 GraphicsEnabler=No
Changed my .plist to reflect the above as well as npci=0x3000

Audio did not work. But I need it to work so I tried to follow the optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC8xx post; my problem is that DSDT’s are always mentioned yet with all of the various ones floating around I don’t know which one to use.

I put the DSDT to desktop, ran MB and then installed the two ktexts (all per <a href="http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/61166-ga-x79-ud3-success.html">this thread</a>. Restarted and no audio

I am unable to create my own DSDT’s as DSDTE freezes every time I launch it.

For some reason I then decided to change all my .plist information and follow the steps from <a href="http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/61166-ga-x79-ud3-success.html"> drakenabarion </a>. Now my system will not boot (spinning circle on startup) and I can’t figure out why.

I used ccc to clone the SSD when the system was booting but for some reason when trying to boot to those disks I have the same spinning wheel. I might have to start over as I have been at it all day and now can’t boot. I thought this board/processor/video card was supposed to work out of the box. Would love to hear what people think I am missing.

Update: "Successful" install
The solution was to install all of the MB settings with the exception of the FakeSMC with plugins. The computer would then boot to a black screen until I added <string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0 PCIRootUID=0</string> to my .plist. KernelCache issue, audio, and OpenGL. The first geekbench score was 17774 (attached)

First Post-Kernel Crashing

Hi gxsolace. I got the install to boot my altering my USB stick with your final .plist. I moved the SSD to another slot which allowed me to reformat. This is where I stand and could really use some advice as I am following the instructions and am still getting kernal panic after MB reboot (I have attached the panic shots):
1.installed and combo update: by using UseKernelCache=No and GraphicsEnabler=NO
2. run MB and use the following as per your post:
User DSDT (no DSDT)
TRIM Enabler Patch (for 10.8.1+)
AppleIntelE1000 Ethernet
FakeSMC with plugins
HWMonitor App
3.At this point if I restart I get a Kernal panic and can't figure out how to start up/I have to start over.

I have tried:
1. HWMonitor will NOT crash the system if you delete the GPUMonitors.kext from inside FakeSMC.kext. There is no GPUMonitors.ktext, but there is GPUsensors.ktext so I deleted that. Still Kernal Panic
2. Even though I never got still waiting for root device I tried the following patch so that I could run with UseKernelCache=Yes (http://blog.yerkanian.com/2012/09/2...for-root-device-on-os-x-10-8-2-mountain-lion/). This also did nothing
3. I have been all over the internet and am using the following as another reference, but just can't figure it out: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/61166-ga-x79-ud3-success.html

Attachments

• 2013-01-03_13-44-39_883.jpg
    2013-01-03_13-44-39_883.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 281
  • 2013-01-03_13-57-37_152.jpg
    2013-01-03_13-57-37_152.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 701
  • geekbench try1.png
    geekbench try1.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 151

@junip it's GA X79S -UP5.

Best advice I could give without more information about BIOS configuration is to install HWMonitor (bundled in the latest Multibeast release) and to configure it to display the CPU frequency and base multiplier.

Check if it goes beyond 12x (typical values under load are x32 without TurboBoost, x35 with TurboBoost when all cores are active and x38 when only one core is active.)

Also check that all 6 cores are actives. To check that, you don't even need HWMonitor, but the standard OS X Activity Monitor is sufficient.

Best advice I could give without more information about BIOS configuration is to install HWMonitor (bundled in the latest Multibeast release) and to configure it to display the CPU frequency and base multiplier.

Check if it goes beyond 12x (typical values under load are x32 without TurboBoost, x35 with TurboBoost when all cores are active and x38 when only one core is active.)

Also check that all 6 cores are actives. To check that, you don't even need HWMonitor, but the standard OS X Activity Monitor is sufficient.

from HWmonitor:

CPU Package Multiplier x12
CPU packgage 1,2Ghz
all cores are visible 12 (6 normal and 6 HT)

What should be my next step?

It is (obviously) not normal the CPU frequency multiplier to be stuck at 12x.

Could you report your BIOS settings ?

It is (obviously) not normal the CPU frequency multiplier to be stuck at 12x.

Could you report your BIOS settings ?

I made some screen grabs.

2013-01-03 18.00.15.jpg2013-01-03 18.00.27.jpg2013-01-03 18.00.00.jpg2013-01-03 17.59.54.jpg2013-01-03 17.59.35.jpg2013-01-03 17.58.59.jpg2013-01-03 17.58.38.jpg

Hmmm that's interesting, your BIOS lacks the "Real-Time CPU Ratio Control In OS" option.

I guess you wouldn't have any other option than to fix the frequency multiplier once and for all in the BIOS. Meaning your CPU will always run at x32 even when idling, but this would be better than x12 anyway, wouldn't be ?

In M.I.T.\Advanced Frequency Settings\Advanced CPU Core Features :

Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology : Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt(C1E) : Disabled
C3/C6 State Support : Disabled
CPU EIST Function : Disabled

Give it a try and let me know.

One last important thing : your BIOS version is outdated. You are running version F1, and I can see on Gigabyte's web site that a F3 version exists (latest beta is F4s.) Most importantly, it looks like version F2 addressed some CPU compatibility issues. You may want to upgrade your BIOS (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4287&dl=1#bios).

Get the Windows .exe file, Mac OS probably would know how to extract the binary image file of the BIOS (or use a virtual machine.) Put this file (not the .exe one !) at the root of a FAT-formatted USB flash drive, and use the Q-Flash menu in the UEFI BIOS to upgrade. Peace of cake.

Hmmm that's interesting, your BIOS lacks the "Real-Time CPU Ratio Control In OS" option.

I guess you wouldn't have any other option than to fix the frequency multiplier once and for all in the BIOS. Meaning your CPU will always run at x32 even when idling, but this would be better than x12 anyway, wouldn't be ?

In M.I.T.\Advanced Frequency Settings\Advanced CPU Core Features :

Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology : Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt(C1E) : Disabled
C3/C6 State Support : Disabled
CPU EIST Function : Disabled

Give it a try and let me know.

One last important thing : your BIOS version is outdated. You are running version F1, and I can see on Gigabyte's web site that a F3 version exists (latest beta is F4s.) Most importantly, it looks like version F2 addressed some CPU compatibility issues. You may want to upgrade your BIOS (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4287&dl=1#bios).

Get the Windows .exe file, Mac OS probably would know how to extract the binary image file of the BIOS (or use a virtual machine.) Put this file (not the .exe one !) at the root of a FAT-formatted USB flash drive, and use the Q-Flash menu in the UEFI BIOS to upgrade. Peace of cake.

I was able to turn on all the cores on full power - just switching off CPU EIST Function, 3 others are enabled. Now the cpu has 18000 in Geekbench.

but i need to check one more thing - GPU this time. How to check is working how it should be? Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back