Contribute
Register

Core i7-3970X, GA-X79-UD5 Monster SSD Build, Geekbench Score: 20313

Status
Not open for further replies.
Core i7-3970X Monster SSD Build, Geekbench Score: 20313

Should I install the DSDT through MB (setting it on the harddrive) or just replace the DSDT that is in my extra folder? The issue that I am working with right now is that I am unable to install any third party plugins; which is strange. That being said the rear USB3.0 port is misteriously working again, so I want to install memtest to rule out a memory issue.

I went ahead and replaced my DSDT with yours and replaced my .plist with yours. I am still not able to complete any installer as all installer screens look like the attached and error at the final install screen.

I have tried removing RAM sticks (to see if it's an individual RAM stick issue), I've order an RMA motherboard that will arrive next week (because the rear USB3.0 ports weren't working, and they run off the same controller as the front ones, which were working, I figured it was a mobo issue. BUT now with the rear USB3.0 ports working I have no idea what the problem is), and have even physically threatened the computer.

I am trying a fresh install but it won't push through to the installation screen. My flag was GraphicsEnabler=No -v and it freezes on [PCI configuration begin] (I was going to hold off on a fresh install as I have a 3x2TB RAID0 soft array inside that I would prefer not to lose (I have it backed up but still...) and if I were to do a fresh install it is my understanding that I would lose the array.)

Any thoughts.

Thanks gx!

Attachments

• installer screen.zip
    22.4 KB · Views: 88

(I was going to hold off on a fresh install as I have a 3x2TB RAID0 soft array inside that I would prefer not to lose (I have it backed up but still...) and if I were to do a fresh install it is my understanding that I would lose the array.)
I don't think you would lose it, especially as long as the partitioning on the drives wasn't going to be disturbed. I have taken drives which previously had a RAID0 set on them, plugged them into a new machine because I was going to re-use one as the boot and one as Time Machine/etc, and found the RAID filesystem still intact. Just had to re-initialise the RAID through Disk Utility.

I was going to suggest you could prove this for yourself with a RAID set on a pair of USB keys, but then you're having problems with USB aren't you...

I don't think you would lose it, especially as long as the partitioning on the drives wasn't going to be disturbed. I have taken drives which previously had a RAID0 set on them, plugged them into a new machine because I was going to re-use one as the boot and one as Time Machine/etc, and found the RAID filesystem still intact. Just had to re-initialise the RAID through Disk Utility.

I was going to suggest you could prove this for yourself with a RAID set on a pair of USB keys, but then you're having problems with USB aren't you...

Glad to hear that there is actually a chance that the RAID array will still be there. I tried to do a fresh install so that I could test the RAM, but I am unable to boot (and I have tried pretty much about everything) to my fresh install; I am stuck on a spinning wheel. The USB3.0 is working now (no idea how). Anyway I am waiting on an RMA for the mobo and graphics card, and will be testing the RAM on another hack in the coming days. I have included my install, post-install, and setup steps; think it could be a helpful guide for someone looking to build this machine. Please let me know where you think I might be going wrong (if anywhere). I have attached all files that are referenced in my steps

Step 1 Unibeast [success]
followed unibeast instructions to create USB thumb drive

Step 2 Install [success]
GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000*darkwake=0 PCIRootUID=0 (rear USB2.0 slot for unibeast thumb; won't boot in USB3.0)

Step 3 Post Installation [FAILURE]
Kernel panic for not having NullCPU
+using another mac I plugged in my hack SSD (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018MCGVU/) used kextbeast to patch NullCPU; this got the system to reach the white screen but left with spinning wheel ("stall on boot")

stall on boot
-tried: GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0 darkawake=0 npci=0x3000 (none of these flags works)
-tried to manually install the necessary kexts. This did not work
-tried another graphics card (GT640), did not work (stuck on white screen rather than white screen with spinning wheel)
-tried both DVI inputs

verbose errors that I have noticed:
BootCachecontrol: unable to open /var/db/BootCache

Step 4 Setup (NAP)
a) Run Mac OS Combo update for 10.8.2
b) Run MB as per "MB Settings"
C) Replace DSDT with gx DSDT
d) Replace .plist with gx .plist (but remove the graphics mode line)
e) Goto S/L/E and delete GPUsensors within the FakeSMC Kext
f) Delete AppleHDA from S/L/E
g) Put Patched AppleHDA (from Interim 898_Lion_AppleHDA file) on desktop
h) Run Kextbeast
i) Repair Permissions
j) restart
k) Kill self if computer does not work 100%

Attachments

• hack X79.zip
    54.1 MB · Views: 214

Step 2 Install [success]
GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000*darkwake=0 PCIRootUID=0 (rear USB2.0 slot for unibeast thumb; won't boot in USB3.0)

Step 3 Post Installation [FAILURE]
Kernel panic for not having NullCPU
+using another mac I plugged in my hack SSD (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018MCGVU/) used kextbeast to patch NullCPU; this got the system to reach the white screen but left with spinning wheel ("stall on boot")

stall on boot
-tried: GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0 darkawake=0 npci=0x3000 (none of these flags works)
-tried to manually install the necessary kexts. This did not work
-tried another graphics card (GT640), did not work (stuck on white screen rather than white screen with spinning wheel)
-tried both DVI inputs

verbose errors that I have noticed:
BootCachecontrol: unable to open /var/db/BootCache

Hi Dnk -

It should be "darkwake=0" not "darkawake". :)
Also, I noticed your BootCache error. Did you notice this paragraph in my original post:

"With many X79 motherboards, you will not be able to boot into Mountain Lion with UseKernelCache=Yes. You will receive the "waiting for root device" message and it will sit there indefinitely. This has nothing to do with the way your boot drive is installed onto the motherboard's SATA ports or boot priority settings. It all has to do with the way AHCI is enumerated during boot time. To fix this, you MUST boot with UseKernelCache=No. Unfortunately, this slows down boot time because OS X must reload all kexts each boot. To get around this, you muse patch IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext. To do so, Google for bcc9's AHCI patch. It is simple to do (execute his patch script in Terminal). After this, you may enable UseKernelCache to "Yes"."

Because you are using my .plist, you will need to edit it and modify UseKernelCache to = No, so that you can boot and apply the patch. Once you've done that, change the flag back to Yes, and reboot.

PS. Check your PM. :)

/ gx

Hi Gx, I really appreciate the help, been working on this for quite awhile. The system was running fast but extra kexts, nonfunctioning rear USB3.0 threw me off and eventually led me to ruin the install (I used ccc to backup the OS but that drive won't boot either; which is why I think it might be hardware related). Either way:

Hi Dnk -

It should be "darkwake=0" not "darkawake". :)

Good catch, that was a typo in this post...I was using darkwake=0.

Also, I noticed your BootCache error. Did you notice this paragraph in my original post:

"With many X79 motherboards, you will not be able to boot into Mountain Lion with UseKernelCache=Yes. You will receive the "waiting for root device" message and it will sit there indefinitely. This has nothing to do with the way your boot drive is installed onto the motherboard's SATA ports or boot priority settings. It all has to do with the way AHCI is enumerated during boot time. To fix this, you MUST boot with UseKernelCache=No. Unfortunately, this slows down boot time because OS X must reload all kexts each boot. To get around this, you muse patch IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext. To do so, Google for bcc9's AHCI patch. It is simple to do (execute his patch script in Terminal). After this, you may enable UseKernelCache to "Yes"."

Because you are using my .plist, you will need to edit it and modify UseKernelCache to = No, so that you can boot and apply the patch. Once you've done that, change the flag back to Yes, and reboot.

I did notice that statement and have tried to boot using UseKernelCache=No (as that was my goto flag to get this thing working). On one of my previous installs I attempted to apply the patch but did not have any luck, which is why I ended up going with another DSDT (attached, sorry but can't remember source) and a .plist with flags: npci=0x3000 darkwake=0. With the attached DSDT I didn't have to worry about the UseKernelCache=No, command but it installed a ton of kexts and maybe it was me but I didn't trust that the system was running at 100% (even though 21000 geekbench)...it was probably me.

Anyway. I am going to:
1. Try and see if the computer will booth with GraphicsEnabler=No UseKernelCache=No npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=0. You mention modifying "your .plist". I am assuming that this is done after I run MB and replace the DSDT with yours (.plist doesn't exist until MB is run)? Is there something that I should be doing before the install within unibeast?
2. Restart. Then use bcc9's AHCI patch. I have tried to follow the following directions to patch in the past, but for some reason didn't get it right (http://www.projectpier.org/node/501). Can you please let me know how to patch the file that I downloaded from bcc9 so that I'm sure to do it right.
3. Deal with the audio issue
4. Deal with Open CL: Install cuda drivers and replace libclh.dylib

Thanks

Attachments

• GA-X79-UD3_DSDT.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 82

Hi Gx, I really appreciate the help, been working on this for quite awhile. The system was running fast but extra kexts, nonfunctioning rear USB3.0 threw me off and eventually led me to ruin the install (I used ccc to backup the OS but that drive won't boot either; which is why I think it might be hardware related). Either way:

Good catch, that was a typo in this post...I was using darkwake=0.

I did notice that statement and have tried to boot using UseKernelCache=No (as that was my goto flag to get this thing working). On one of my previous installs I attempted to apply the patch but did not have any luck, which is why I ended up going with another DSDT (attached, sorry but can't remember source) and a .plist with flags: npci=0x3000 darkwake=0. With the attached DSDT I didn't have to worry about the UseKernelCache=No, command but it installed a ton of kexts and maybe it was me but I didn't trust that the system was running at 100% (even though 21000 geekbench)...it was probably me.

Anyway. I am going to:
1. Try and see if the computer will booth with GraphicsEnabler=No UseKernelCache=No npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=0. You mention modifying "your .plist". I am assuming that this is done after I run MB and replace the DSDT with yours (.plist doesn't exist until MB is run)? Is there something that I should be doing before the install within unibeast?
2. Restart. Then use bcc9's AHCI patch. I have tried to follow the following directions to patch in the past, but for some reason didn't get it right (http://www.projectpier.org/node/501). Can you please let me know how to patch the file that I downloaded from bcc9 so that I'm sure to do it right.
3. Deal with the audio issue
4. Deal with Open CL: Install cuda drivers and replace libclh.dylib

Thanks

Hi Dnk -

I mean modify the boot.plist that you're using from me, to turn off UseKernelCache, so that you can boot in and apply the patch.
However, instead of apply bcc9's patch, you can just use the pre-patched file I've attached to this reply. Just use Kext Utility to install it. :)
After you've installed it, and prior to rebooting, you can then re-modify your boot.plist and turn back on UseKernelCache.

I hope this helps.

/ gx

Attachments

• IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext.zip
    106 KB · Views: 80

Hi Dnk -

I mean modify the boot.plist that you're using from me, to turn off UseKernelCache, so that you can boot in and apply the patch.
However, instead of apply bcc9's patch, you can just use the pre-patched file I've attached to this reply. Just use Kext Utility to install it. :)
After you've installed it, and prior to rebooting, you can then re-modify your boot.plist and turn back on UseKernelCache.

I hope this helps.

/ gx

I was unable to find the boot.plist within either my SSD boot drive or unitbeast (which is probably the issue); therefore I went ahead and installed your kext by plugging the SSD into my macbook and running kextbeast. The computer shows the white apple screen and then goes black. I have attached the flags and the point in which the system stalls. If I am doing everything correctly then it might make sense for me to install the new mobo and graphics card when they arrive to see if that helps.

Thanks gx!

Attachments

• OS SSD.png.zip
    108.6 KB · Views: 74
  • boot images.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 71

Hiya,

First of all I need to say that I'm completely new to the whole Hackintosh concept. I've been raised on Macs and have been earning a living on them since 1990. Having missed the boat a few years ago I'm now stuck with a 4-year old MacPro, and given the type of work I do (motion graphics and visual effects) I can't wait for Apple any longer.

I've trawled through the various builds on this site and this particular one seems to me to strike a nice balance and so I'm going to attempt to recreate it down here in Melbourne.

I'm pretty close to placing my first orders but, given that I have no experience with this sort of thing, I have a few questions before diving in.

1. The GTX 680 GDDR3 seems to have been replaced by the GDDR5 - would you expect any issues with this card?
  2. Please forgive me if this is an incredibly stupid question but what exactly are the Angelbird PCIe boards and SSD modules for?
  3. I need to get approx. 48GB of RAM crammed in so will probably need to go for an SDRAM module that's larger than 4GB - do you have any suggestions/recommendations?
  4. Finally, someone here questioned why you went with UD3 as opposed to UD5 - again, this is beyond me but given that the price difference isn't that great, would you recommend I go with the UD5 board and if so, why? Are there any benefits other than the layout (I don't run RAID)?

I'm really excited by these first steps and can't wait to get underway. Thanks in advance for any and all advice you and the forum are able to offer.

Thanks.

I've trawled through the various builds on this site and this particular one seems to me to strike a nice balance and so I'm going to attempt to recreate it down here in Melbourne.
Very confused weather we're having here today, isn't it? :)

I was unable to find the boot.plist within either my SSD boot drive or unitbeast (which is probably the issue); therefore I went ahead and installed your kext by plugging the SSD into my macbook and running kextbeast. The computer shows the white apple screen and then goes black. I have attached the flags and the point in which the system stalls. If I am doing everything correctly then it might make sense for me to install the new mobo and graphics card when they arrive to see if that helps.

Thanks gx!

Hi Dnk -

How can you boot without a org.chameleon.Boot.plist? That's what I've been referring to, since I originally attached my files in one of my earlier posts to help you out.

Use my org.chameleon.Boot.plist, and DSDT.
Modify my org.chameleon.Boot.plist to disable UseKernelCache.

Try to boot at that point.
With flags: PCIRootUID=0 darkwake=0 npci=0x3000.

Please try that. :)

/ gx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back