GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Core i7-3970X Monster SSD Build, Geekbench Score: 20313

Ok, do tonight I shaved about 5 degrees off my p95 temps and more of my normal load temps...

... I turned the H100 fans the correct way round :|

Hi morganb -

So I downloaded Prime 95 and ran it in "Blend" torture mode, my CPU, depending on the phase of the test, hits as high as 81C, but for 99% of the test, hovers around the low 70's.

When you say it "gets too high" -- how high is too high? :)

Even if you install too much thermal paste, there's no way the CPU is going to get damaged, unless there's no contact, or very, very poor contact between the cold-plate surface on your H100 and the CPU. But it would have gone higher from turning on the PC, and not just hover at 38C on idle. And all modern CPUs have overheat protection, which will force it into Halt state and shut down. To be honest, your CPU can actually operate at 100C without dying.

As for DSDT, you actually don't need a DSDT, since you board uses UEFI.
I can't tell from your spinning beachball state what's wrong with the system. You would have to boot into verbose mode by using a -v flat at the Chimera/Chameleon boot selection screen.

But I am sure it's related to "Waiting for root device...".
See my comment on the original post about AHCI.

Anyway, back to your Prime 95 + heat concern: For the most part, your CPU's floating point cores will be off, unless you have a program that explicitly calls for FP processing. This maintains the CPU at a relatively cool state. Prime 95 literally does torture your floating point units, and will run a CPU very close to max operating temperatures. Prime 95 is designed to do this.

With your H100 and your CPU, your temps should climb no higher than 85C -- unless you're heavily affected by ambient temperatures.

Hope that helps! :)

/ gx

Motherboard
MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC
CPU
Intel Core i9-7980XE
Graphics
AMD RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Ok, do tonight I shaved about 5 degrees off my p95 temps and more of my normal load temps...

... I turned the H100 fans the correct way round :|

What happened? lol. How did you have them installed?

/ gx

Motherboard
ASRock Z370M-ITX/AC
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS

Sucking. Lol. Just redid paste. Peaks at 80 now using small FFT but mostly stays around 75.

Normal load its on 50's.

Cannot get it to go past 4.5 tho.

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i9-7980XE
Graphics
AMD RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Sucking. Lol. Just redid paste. Peaks at 80 now using small FFT but mostly stays around 75.

Normal load its on 50's.

Cannot get it to go past 4.5 tho.

You're still pushing it huh? Even though you did admit that you weren't sure it was any use going that high in frequency lol.

Honestly, my advice is to just stay at level that's super stable. I really recommend sticking to 4.2GHz with a 0.010 voltage offset.

Also, if you don't have a push-pull configuration for your rad, it's better to do push.

/ gx

Motherboard
ASRock Z370M-ITX/AC
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS

^lol, yeah I know I just cant leave things alone.

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i9-7980XE
Graphics
AMD RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

^lol, yeah I know I just cant leave things alone.

What's the frequency you settled on? lol.

/ gx

Motherboard
ASRock Z370M-ITX/AC
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS

What's the frequency you settled on?. lol.

/ gx

4.5, I just can't get past it. I can get it non prime stable at 4.6 but I can't risk this machine failing mid job. I use it for editing photos and if I have to reset the I have to wait another 30 minutes or so for the screen to stabilize again. Resets play havoc with my work flow.

I used your offset method-set vcore to normal and offset to 0.010v llc back to auto. I like how it maintains a much lower voltage during idle which helps keep heat down. Idling between 28 and 34.

Temps still get high with case closed but it's an old case with sucky airflow. Getting a new case with push pull soo then i will write the build up and submit it.

Still can't get over these speakers, they are dynamite.

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i9-7980XE
Graphics
AMD RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Hi All -

So I upgraded to an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 reference board, with 2GB of GDDR5.

I've discovered some problems:

1/ Even with GraphicsEnabler=No, the card will still put up a white screen IF you have Air Display
2/ HWMonitor will Kernel Panic the system if you have the GPUMonitors.kext plugin for FakeSMC
a/ This will happen after the login screen (if you don't enable auto login straight to desktop)
b/ This will happen as soon as you hit the desktop with HWMonitor module loaded up on the top status bar
c/ HWMonitor will NOT crash the system if you delete the GPUMonitors.kext from inside FakeSMC.kext

And of course, don't forget you need to set GraphicsEnabler=No in your .plist as:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</key>

Other than that, works fine OOB. The annoying thing is that I just purchased Air Display yesterday... sigh.

/ gx

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i9-7980XE
Graphics
AMD RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Hi All -

So I upgraded to an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 reference board, with 2GB of GDDR5.

I've discovered some problems:

1/ Even with GraphicsEnabler=No, the card will still put up a white screen IF you have Air Display
2/ HWMonitor will Kernel Panic the system if you have the GPUMonitors.kext plugin for FakeSMC
a/ This will happen after the login screen (if you don't enable auto login straight to desktop)
b/ This will happen as soon as you hit the desktop with HWMonitor module loaded up on the top status bar
c/ HWMonitor will NOT crash the system if you delete the GPUMonitors.kext from inside FakeSMC.kext

And of course, don't forget you need to set GraphicsEnabler=No in your .plist as:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</key>

Other than that, works fine OOB. The annoying thing is that I just purchased Air Display yesterday... sigh.

/ gx

Turns out it's a real problem.
Kozlek has temporarily disabled GPU Clock monitoring on Kepler-based cards.

https://github.com/kozlek/HWSensors/commit/c26a5932e5170ab5dbd286057ebfb10c6d3200ff

https://github.com/kozlek/HWSensors/issues/14

(You'll need to register -- for free -- to github to see comments from kozlek and others.)

/ gx

Status
Not open for further replies.