i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9UW53A5015&cm_re=optiplex_7010-_-9SIA9UW53A5015-_-Product This is the I5-3470 version with an SSD for the boot drive. Will require at least a GT710 LP graphics card as this has HD2500 graphics.

Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF PC
These Ivy Bridge desktops are about as easy to Hackintosh as the HP Elite 8300 SFFs. When you compare the specs of one of these to the 2014 Mac Mini, which usually sells for $415 refurbished, there is no comparison. A quad core I7 completely dwarfs the performance of a dual core 2 GHz laptop CPU in a Mac Mini. When you add a small, inexpensive SSD boot drive for macOS you've got a really fast Core I7 CustoMac for much less than you could build one for.

If you don't want or need the 4 cores / 8 threads of the 3770, the Core I3 and I5 versions will also work. (I3-3220 or I5-3470) They only have the HD2500 graphics and not HD4000. In this scenario, you can install a low profile discrete card like a GT710 if you want to run Sierra. The GT610 works OOB with El Capitan, Yosemite or Mavericks. These have UEFI so you can boot Yosemite, El Capitan or Sierra with Clover UEFI. I'm certain that prices of this 7010 model will continue to go lower over the next year or two.

The Dell SFF 7010 linked to above is the 2nd one from the left. It's smaller than the HP 8300 SFF model if you want to place it on your desk it will save a significant amount of real estate.

desktop-opti-7010-mixed-set.jpg

Here's the full specs from Dell:
Screen Shot 1.jpg

Here's a short video tour of one of these to show you the interior layout.

It's pictured on the far left above in the Dell stock photo. Costs about $25 less than the SFF 7010. There is no PCI-e slot in this version. So no discrete graphics option. Also a smaller 500 GB HDD.

Last edited:
Would this be good for a first build?
Im looking to build one to replace my 2009 imac.

Would this be good for a first build?
Im looking to build one to replace my 2009 imac.
Yes, you could use that to install and run Sierra. Would just need a DP to HDMI adapter if your monitor doesn't have DP. There are two Displayport outputs because these were business desktops originally. Looks like they've got two left at that price.

If you ever want to add a more powerful graphics card you can get the Elite 8300 CMT tower for the same price, from the same Newegg seller. Has a more powerful PSU and lots more room inside for extra HDDs etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8XK4GP1888&cm_re=Elite_8300_I7-3770-_-9SIA8XK4GP1888-_-Product

These are quite a bit bigger than the Dell SFF. More like the size of a Mac Pro 1,1 tower.

So if you don't have much space for a tower, the Dell is the better choice.

Last edited:
Yes, you could use that to install and run Sierra. Would just need a DP to HDMI adapter if your monitor doesn't have DP. There are two Displayport outputs because these were business desktops originally. Looks like they've got two left at that price.

If you ever want to add a more powerful graphics card you can get the Elite 8300 CMT tower for the same price, from the same Newegg seller. Has a more powerful PSU and lots more room inside for extra HDDs etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8XK4GP1888&cm_re=Elite_8300_I7-3770-_-9SIA8XK4GP1888-_-Product

These are quite a bit bigger than the Dell SFF. More like the size of a Mac Pro 1,1 tower.

So if you don't have much space for a tower, the Dell is the better choice.

Looks like they are out of Hp Elite 8300. Any other suggestions. Maybe a little more up to date.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8XK4589908&cm_re=optiplex_7010_3770-_-9SIA8XK4589908-_-Product

Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF PC
These Ivy Bridge desktops are about as easy to Hackintosh as the HP Elite 8300 SFFs. When you compare the specs of one of these to the 2014 Mac Mini, which usually sells for $415 refurbished, there is no comparison. A quad core I7 completely dwarfs the performance of a dual core 2 GHz laptop CPU in a Mac Mini. When you add a small, inexpensive SSD boot drive for macOS you've got a really fast Core I7 CustoMac for much less than you could build one for. Another nice option is the ability to run dual monitors off of the two onboard Displayport outputs. The HD4000 integrated graphics chip is capable of this.

If you don't want or need the 4 cores / 8 threads of the 3770, the Core I3 and I5 versions will also work. (I3-3220 or I5-3470) They only have the HD2500 graphics and not HD4000. In this scenario, you can install a low profile discrete card like a GT710 if you want to run Sierra. The GT610 works OOB with El Capitan, Yosemite or Mavericks. These have UEFI so you can boot Yosemite, El Capitan or Sierra with Clover UEFI. I'm certain that prices of this 7010 model will continue to go lower over the next year or two.

The Dell SFF 7010 linked to above is the 2nd one from the left. It's smaller than the HP 8300 SFF model if you want to place it on your desk it will save a significant amount of real estate.

View attachment 228012
Here's the full specs from Dell:
View attachment 228010

Here's a short video tour of one of these to show you the interior layout.

If you want to go ultra small, here's the Ultra-Slim model which has an I7-3770s.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8XK53Z1454

It's pictured on the far left above in the Dell stock photo. Costs about $25 less than the SFF 7010. There is no PCI-e slot in this version. So no discrete graphics option. Also a smaller 500 GB HDD.
S

Suggestions on how to configure the dell optiplex 7010 in multibeast

Suggestions on how to configure the dell optiplex 7010 in multibeast
You can use Quick Start UEFI and choose one of the Intel Ethernet options that best matches the LAN chip. I would also change the sysdef to iMac 13,2 if you have installed Sierra. Run Multibeast and restart then try booting from the HDD. Some have reported the ALC269 kext works (from older MB versions) others have used VoodooHDA. You can also opt for the easiest solution, a USB audio adapter.

Last edited:
Ok, So I just got a refurbished one of these off of Amazon for 199.99 with 8GB of RAM (that I plan to upgrade eventually) and a HDD that I will swap with a 1TB one. I have a few questions:

Should I use El Capitan or Sierra?

Are there any step by step or in depth guides for doing this I can follow specific to the machine or do I just use what is on this site?

Is there room in one of these things to cram an SSD and still keep your HDD and Optical drive?

Once the OS is installed and this thing wants to update, should I? If so, what is most likely to break? What are the fixes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back