GTX660ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,
Long time lurker first time poster. My question is of CPU support. I know the latest multibeast and Mavericks supports the intel Core i5-4570S CPU per the buyers guide. Intel has released a new Haswell update and that includes the new Core i5-4690S CPU. This CPU runs at 3.2GHz baseline compared to 2.9GHz for the 4570S.

Is there a technical or compatibility reason why I cannot get the faster CPU and still have full CPU support? Coming from the windows world, the CPU itself would not present a problem - as long as my motherboard supported it, the CPU itself would run at the rated speed. Is this a concern with Mac OS?

Thank you in advanced,

Derald

Bump!

I'm about to be in the market for new parts and I just saw the new line of Intel CPUs. Very curious about this.

Hope someone with a bit more knowledge can help us out! Thanks :)

Bump!

I'm about to be in the market for new parts and I just saw the new line of Intel CPUs. Very curious about this.

Hope someone with a bit more knowledge can help us out! Thanks :)

Won't know for sure until someone actually uses one in a build.

Just to update this thread I started, the Intel i5-4690S CPU works with Mac OS X on my new Hackintosh build with a Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 motherboard

Speed step works nicely, idle is 800MHz, turbo to 3.5-3.9GHz.

I didn't have to do anything to get it working other than update the BIOS on the motherboard to the latest version and then "load optimized defaults". Mac OS X installed without problems (at least no problems related to the CPU specifically).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back