1. eMac
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
Hi just wondering if anyone could let me know how to or if it is even possible to get Catalina or even Mojave working on my core 2 quad system as I’ve seen online many people doing it and even someone making a way to patch it to work but when I try it gets through the install about quarter way and fails and was wondering if anyone knew about this any help would be much appreciated

Hi just wondering if anyone could let me know how to or if it is even possible to get Catalina or even Mojave working on my core 2 quad system as I’ve seen online many people doing it and even someone making a way to patch it to work but when I try it gets through the install about quarter way and fails and was wondering if anyone knew about this any help would be much appreciated
What motherboard and graphics card do you plan to use together with the Q8200?

The Q8200 lacks a critical CPU instruction (SSE4.2) which is required by the AMD graphics drivers in Mojave and beyond. So if you want to run Mojave or Catalina you will (should) not be able to use an AMD graphics card even though it is natively supported.

However, someone has written a partial SSE4.2 emulation driver for use systems with old CPUs and with AMD graphics cards on Mojave and Catalina :

If you plan to use an AMD graphics card the above driver MIGHT work for you.

What motherboard and graphics card do you plan to use together with the Q8200?

The Q8200 lacks a critical CPU instruction (SSE4.2) which is required by the AMD graphics drivers in Mojave and beyond. So if you want to run Mojave or Catalina you will (should) not be able to use an AMD graphics card even though it is natively supported.

However, someone has written a partial SSE4.2 emulation driver for use systems with old CPUs and with AMD graphics cards on Mojave and Catalina :

If you plan to use an AMD graphics card the above driver MIGHT work for you.
Hi I’m looking to do this using a EP45-DS3L and an nvidia GeForce GTX 460 1GB as I’d seen elsewhere on here there’s a legacy graphics patch tool that supports nvidia fermi gpus https://github.com/chris1111/Legacy-Video-patch

Hi I’m looking to do this using a EP45-DS3L and an nvidia GeForce GTX 460 1GB as I’d seen elsewhere on here there’s a legacy graphics patch tool that supports nvidia fermi gpus https://github.com/chris1111/Legacy-Video-patch
That might work for you in giving you the correct resolution, but it still won't give you Metal support which may be required by the OS itself and some other applications, which may therefore have compatibility issues.

Go ahead if you want to try, but expect problems.

That might work for you in giving you the correct resolution, but it still won't give you Metal support which may be required by the OS itself and some other applications, which may therefore have compatibility issues.

Go ahead if you want to try, but expect problems.
I tried it out with Mojave and got it running only issue was it booted the first time then after that I kept getting this repeating over and over (see image below) and with Catalina I could go through the initial part of the installer but after the first reboot got an error.
D9B9418E-2323-4B4A-A84D-E70E449959C5.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back