Contribute
Register

Cooling the Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 degrees????

Wow that IS impressive. I'm gonna squeeze a 92mm Noctua onto the floor of my i7 Cube build, so this test result is definitely good news!

Thx for posting this, Rossi.

41 degrees????

Wow that IS impressive. I'm gonna squeeze a 92mm Noctua onto the floor of my i7 Cube build, so this test result is definitely good news!

Thx for posting this, Rossi.

Did you note the temp of the CPU cooler, 28deg and the local temperature is 30deg, and the one that really got me was the northbridge temp, it is down to 39 from up in the high 40's and low 50's. I have one more test, and that is to see how just the one fan handles it. Will post back soon. Cheers. Rossi.

Did you note the temp of the CPU cooler, 28deg and the local temperature is 30deg, and the one that really got me was the northbridge temp, it is down to 39 from up in the high 40's and low 50's. I have one more test, and that is to see how just the one fan handles it. Will post back soon. Cheers. Rossi.
The disconnected fan is worth about 10deg,in the stress test,It proves that a large airflow is whats needed to push the heat out of the cube and has me now wondering how it will fare with a graphics card installed and what PSU to install?? 2013-04-08_1548.jpg

I would say that the fan shroud would be an easy mod that doesn't have to be a permanent fixture, and could be just as effective being an accessory that just sits in position when needed.
It could also be made from an array of materials. Plywood, varnished or painted would look good and would have noise dampening properties, and not to mention, easy to work with.
I think that is the queue for the next little project and also an idea for cooling the G5/Cube.
This is one nasty hobby, and I have got my sons car to do as well.

Cheers.
Rossi.

The link to the extreme cube is here: http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/OverclockingCoolingModding/Modding/apple-cube-sujet_277254_1.htm

It is worth reviewing this cube re-engineering project. It make me feel humble.

nel

I have come across that cube previously, the guy is an Artist/Engineer(even if not qualified), and even though the whole project is mind blowing, and for mine, the one thing that struck me was the HDD caddy, My son suggested that a simple ornamental box or dock with fans built in, that the cube just sits into, made from timber, or whatever the preferred material and lined with felt so as not to scratch the cube's Perspex with repeated removal and insertions, would be an effective and simple yet aesthetically pleasing cooling solution. rossi.

UPDATE:

In preparation of setting up the cube to power the Z77 mini ITX with 3570k CPU and GT640 GPU, I have installed a 300 watt PSU into the cube's DVD drive bay and have just finished heat tests to see what impact the PSU has on the current configuration of Z77 and 3225 i3 with just the on chip Intel 4000 graphics. Please take note of plastic sheet insulation around the PSU which is a must in an all metal casing.

100_0655.JPG100_0657.JPG100_0658.JPG100_0659.JPG2013-04-21_1527.jpg2013-04-21_1602.jpg

You will see that the PSU has raised the temps inside the case by around 10 deg in the stress test photo, compared to the previous test with the 90 watt mini ITX PSU.

2013-04-08_1155.jpg

So far so good, these are very acceptable temps which stay stable for the 30 minute stress test and my next test will be with the i5 3570k then with the finished product with the GT 640 graphics card.

Cheers.
Rossi.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the fan speeds, note how fast they are spinning to keep the temps down.

I have been considering the temps by the i7 cube builds, and want to try and keep the i5 3570k cooler than what they are running at, which is too close to the edge for mine, I want to run the machine on full power in any situation at any time without any instability issue's whatsoever. I have read that the i series CPU's can run at around 100 deg C, but that is not the case, as the max T case temperature allowed at the Integrated Heat Spreader is only 69.8deg at the most for the i7 and 67.4 for the i5,This is a game changer and I will need to make considerations to the cubes cooling for longevity and stability. http://ark.intel.com/compare/65525,65524,65520 Rossi.

Hi Rossi, which HW monitor reading (if any) is for the TCase value?

I believe it is the core temps that are shown by HWMonitor, and TCase temp is actually measured under the CPU between the cores. Not sure if there is a sensor for it or not.

Ersterhernd

Hi Ersterhernd, I believe the T case reading would relate to the heatsink temps as it is in direct contact with the IHS or (Integrated Heat Spreader), some of the overclocker community are now removing the IHS to discard the Intel thermal paste between the actual core and IHS and re apply the thermal compound with a better quality product, Although the procedure doesn't look too complicated, I for one won't be resorting to it, as they claim massive temp drops. Googling the subject will lead you to youtube clips on the subject . I have much more investigating to do in trying to realize my ambitions in running the cube with a full power CPU and graphics in the cube, I have come to learn that there isn't enough room in the cube for the hardware and cooling devices and as Neil Hart pointed out that the cube's mesh in the lower panel is very restrictive and I may have to look at overcoming that. Please don't take this as criticism of your build or any other i7 cube as I think they are absolutely stunning in their detail but as I say, I want full power at any given time without any instability issues and finding that in the cube is a challenge which is costly enough without frying an expensive component such as the CPU and with the added graphics card and PSU. One thing I have learnt from the psu being inside the case is the increase in temps, even though the air exchange is quite large. Maybe even just a small fan to direct airflow onto the psu, not sure, but will keep searching. Rossi.

Rossi, your ambitions are very aggressive, much more so than mine were in any of the three Cubes I've done so far. I guess the most important step out of the gate is to carefully define your goals for the outcome of each project. You've obviously done that, and are well on the way to finding your success. I think you'll do it, hopefully to the specs you're striving to reach. Keep going.

Watching intently!

Ersterhernd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back