Graphics
2 X Gigabyte GTX 4GB 760s
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is there any advantage to building your own reservoir cooling system over something like a H100i? I'm asking from a pure performance aspect. If you're wondering what I'm talking about here's a pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 84
I recently build a H60 into a build of someone. Its not exactly the H100 but I think its not that different.

If you really need a diy water cooling and have the money go for it. Those AIO water cooling are good. But not (much) better than a 212 Evo. A Noctua DH-14 will beat all AIO water cooling systems. Just to compare. Not sure though how hard it is to build yourself a water cooling system and if it will perform as good if you don't have the know how. But its definitely better and more silent than any other cooling available and its perfect if you're aiming for real high OC. But I think you won't get anything good under 200-300.

My opinion is if only performance is important to you and you have fun building computers then build yourself a water cooling loop. If not go for a Noctua DH-14. Super quiet and youll be able to clock up to 5GHz (of course if your cpu is capable).

If you just want to cool the CPU a Corsair H100 will be fine.

An owm build system can be easily extended to cool the GPU too. You can choose better cooler, pumps, radiators and fans.

In general you are less limited, but have more work.

OK thanks for the responses. I figured it had more to do with aesthetics and expandability for video cards than anything. I visited XSPC and as cool as some of the hardware looks, having a computer that looks like Bane without a significant drop in temp just isn't worth it IMO. However, one of the waterblocks seems like it would have a performance advantage since it's solid copper. I just want the best cooling option since I'm planning on overclocking a haswell and hey have stability issues past 4.4GHz. If a DIY kit doesn't lower the temp any better than a H100i then it may not be worth the time and money. Here's a pic of the Raystorm from XSPC.

Attachments

• raystorm-copper2-2-1.jpg
    raystorm-copper2-2-1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 67
A 240mm radiator is great for cooling an overclocked CPU. For higher OCs you should consider professionel help for removing the CPUs heatsink and replacing the thermalpaste. Because that is the biggest issue of the Ivy/Haswell CPUs.

Yeah I've heard about the whole delidding stuff. I consider myself very mechanically capable and as confident as I am that I could do it, it still freaks me out a bit to put a chip in a vice and pound away with a block of wood. Hopefully Intel will address the issue before I pull the trigger on my order. I'm sure I'll be happy with a 4.2 overclock. I'm all about stability and having a 100% functioning build so I'm trying to be meticulous about my hardware choices both for OSX in addition to a good stable overclock. I don't mind paying a little extra for the best cooling available, and so far everything I've read points to the H100i.

@Tylerrouse 4.2Ghz isn't too much to ask for. You'll get that with a decent cooler for 30-50 *insert currency*. And don't expect Intel to address that issue with what they have put under the cpu die. They have done it in Ivy and a year later in Haswell again. They have their reasons why, though I am not sure what those reasons are.

Right and I'm not holding out hope. I'm about to give up on Haswell and find a deal on an Ivy+Mobo combo. Perhaps when I visit the Dallas Microcenter next month. It really does seem like the desktop is headed to the grave.

Yeah the difference between Haswell and Ivy Bridge isn't much. At least not in the desktop segment. Just helped someone building a Z87 build which will be compatible (hopefully). But the iGPU is pretty nice. Even though the mobile one is better. If you can wait for Haswell I'd suggest to wait.

Well. Probably yeah. At least the desktop we used to know. But itll take a few years more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back