Graphics
ATI 5970 2GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Coolermaster 550 Silencio with 120x38mm fans for push/pull radiator.

The Coolermaster Silencio 550 looks good on paper, but I wouldn't recommend buying one, airflow is too restricted. If it had a top mounted 120 exhaust vent then maybe I would feel differently. So, stuck with this case, I wanted to do something to pull the hot air out better, the stock 'quiet' fans that run at 800RPM don't help the situation much either.

So, I got an Enermax XLC120 all in one CPU water loop to sit in the single rear exhaust port, performing double duty of case exhaust and cooling the CPU. Because this is the only exhaust vent, I wanted something that will really blow and found a nice PWM 120x38mm fan that is rated for 800-2000RPM (30-95CFM, but doesn't state static pressure, although must be better than the 25mm fans) it looks like an OEM brand that Yodobashi Camera is importing. Model number RDL1238S-PWM. The San-Ace are also always in stock here in Japan, but this was only ¥1200 a fan and not ¥3500 per fan for the San Ace! So I got a pair of these and mounted around the radiator. The bolts that came with it fit the radiator screw holes (luckily) but are just a little too long so I used zip ties as a temp solution to keep it tightly fit. I then pulled out the 2 front silent CM fans and dropped into place the Enermax fans. I also bought a Gelid pwm 4 way splitter so that all fans are Fully PWM controlled and will run quietly unless I push it and it needs to cool faster. (Although the front 2 fans seem to be currently running at full speed, so I need to play with the way I have wired it a bit I think)

So now my core i7 980x is idling at about 30c down from 45c before and finally I feel safe to overclock it. Fitting those fans was a tight fit (it just fits, touching water pump on the CPU) but I am happy for now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11,603
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,302
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,089
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,574
I will try to do some load tests and OC tests soon. Just haven't had the time!

That is a crazy combination ^^
But San Ace fans are nice, I have one 120x25 in my PSU.

I have never seen a person using 120x38mm fans because they are so rare and mostly for industrial purposes. How good is the noise of the fan?

They are surprisingly quiet, but the enermax fans in the front of the case sound like they are running at 100% at the moment, so that is probably drowning out any noise from the big guys in the back. When I had the case open and taking photos, I couldn't hear any noise from the 38mm fans though.

I figured that there is plenty of space back there and that high static pressure fans that are rated 80-2000rpm will be quiet but also able to pump out a lot of air, which this case needs as there seemed to be a build up of heat on the top of the case before. I need to run some tests to see if it has resolved all of my concerns.

Currently I have the 4x splitter into the MB CPU header, the cable marked for relaying the fan timing for the CPU water pump and then the 38mm fans for the rad using the CPU splitter cable and then the enermax fans off the original 4x splitter.

I am thinking of wiring the CPU water pump to a regular case fan header and then having the CPU header connected to the 4x pwm splitter and just running the fans through it.

Hopefully that will be a better setup.

Ok, got a little time to play today, I changed the wiring and the sound is the same from the front fans, so I might try setting their little enermax switches down to medium setting instead of max.

I also ran a geek bench stress test and maxed out at about 60-70c. That is with stock 3.33Ghz speed. Getting about 15,000 in the geek bench.

I next did a bit of a play with the front side bus up to 200mhz from 133mhz and dropping the CPU down to 20x from 25x for a 1600mhz ram and 4Ghz CPU (voltages on auto as I didn't have time to really work on it) then booted and ran a geek bench test, this time scoring about 18,000 but the CPU temp really jumped up, with some cores in the 90's. Maybe the CPU isn't properly secured in as there was also variation in the core temps, almost as much as 10C, way too much!!!

The stock intel air cooler kept it in the 80's when at 4ghz, so something is amiss for sure.

So it's back down to stock speeds again until I can next work on it. Hopefully tomorrow I can tinker a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back