Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi All,
I would like to replace macOS Sierra with macOS Mojave in a Sierra / High Sierra multiboot system in the same ssd (Asus P5G41T-M LX mb - Intel Core2Duo E8600 cpu - legacy-bios mode with Clover bootloader).
Unfortunately both existing partitions are HFS + and I read that installing MacOS Mojave requires an APFS partition.
Is it possible to format/convert, for example, the existing macOS Sierra partition from HFS+ to APFS without deleting the other existing macOS High Sierra partition?
Thanks in advance for Your help

Hi All,
I would like to replace macOS Sierra with macOS Mojave in a Sierra / High Sierra multiboot system in the same ssd (Asus P5G41T-M LX mb - Intel Core2Duo E8600 cpu - legacy-bios mode with Clover bootloader).
Unfortunately both existing partitions are HFS + and I read that installing MacOS Mojave requires an APFS partition.
Is it possible to format/convert, for example, the existing macOS Sierra partition from HFS+ to APFS without deleting the other existing macOS High Sierra partition?
Thanks in advance for Your help

Installing Mojave on a partition will convert it from HFS+ to APFS.

So I think you can erase the Sierra partition and install Mojave on it and the installation will convert it to APFS. But are you certain you want to remove Sierra?

Installing Mojave on a partition will convert it from HFS+ to APFS.

So I think you can erase the Sierra partition and install Mojave on it and the installation will convert it to APFS. But are you certain you want to remove Sierra?

So it is not necessary to format the "sierra" partition before, but instead during the installation of macOS Mojave, from disk utility, select "Sierra" partition, use the erase function and select the APFS format (and this will not affect "High Sierra" partition)?
P.S. I thought about replacing macOS Sierra with Mojave in dual boot with macOS High Sierra: are there any reason why it would be better to keep "Sierra"?

Last edited:
So it is not necessary to format the "sierra" partition before, but instead during the installation of macOS Mojave, from disk utility, select "Sierra" partition, use the erase function and select the APFS format (and this will not affect "High Sierra" partition)?
P.S. I thought about replacing macOS Sierra with Mojave in dual boot with macOS High Sierra: are there any reason why it would be better to keep "Sierra"?

Yes, I think so.

However, I just noted a problem with your system : Your CPU (Core 2 Duo E8600) does not support the SSE4.2 CPU instructions, which will cause problems with Mojave. Check this :

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/bootloop-on-login-screens-mojave-9.260085/#post-1807070

If you don't know how to do that, I strongly recommend you do not try to install Mojave on your system.

Thanks a lot for answering my questions.
I know that installing on my system macOS Mojave could be causing problems and, for the moment, I'm considering what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back