Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega Frontier Edition
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi Everyone,

This will be my first post, I have already read a lot of posts about converting a Mac Pro 2.1 to a Hackintosh, but the problem is some of them are
missing the images which does not give me a clear answer, I read mooners guide but there is not a single that shows, anyway, I would like to build a high end Hackintosh in this Mac Pro 2.1, I would like to keep it stock as much as I can, so as far as I understand, these are the steps that I need to follow.

1) Take out everything in the case and leave it empty.
2) By using the motherboard try to decide where the mobo will rest point out the standoff points and glue them with JB Weld, also
cutting the IO to use the one that comes with the mobo.
3) Modding the front panel which I did not clearly understand.
4) I would like to use the upper 4 HDD slots but do not know if I can use them with an ATX Motherboard.
5) I want to know what parts I need to buy to finish this mode apart from the computer components

I would appreciate if anyone who did finish a similar build could tell me the details that are important or show me a recent mac pro 2.1 case
conversion thread links.

Thank you

Have you looked at my 1,1 Mac Pro build ? It is a few slots down on the post list. I did what you are asking to do. Cutting the IO was not to bad just need to have sheet metal bent and welding together then Epoxy it into place. Also I Epoxied all the standoffs in place too. Also to get the front panel to work you will need to. Wire in the power button and cut a wire a Sata cable to usb header. It was not hard just sometime. I bet you could use the top hard drive trays if you use 90 power and Sata cables. I did not want to bother since I painted the case. Any questions just ask...

Attachments

• macprofrontpanela.jpg
    macprofrontpanela.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 619
  • macprousbconnect.jpg
    macprousbconnect.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 557
  • 2019-03-13 11.27.13.jpg
    2019-03-13 11.27.13.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 517
  • 2019-03-13 11.27.52.jpg
    2019-03-13 11.27.52.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 504
  • 2019-03-12 21.25.31.jpg
    2019-03-12 21.25.31.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 456
  • 2019-03-13 08.00.14.jpg
    2019-03-13 08.00.14.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 467
Have you looked at my 1,1 Mac Pro build ? It is a few slots down on the post list. I did what you are asking to do. Cutting the IO was not to bad just need to have sheet metal bendt and welding together then Epoxy it into place. Also I Epoxied all the standoffs in place too. Also to get the front panel to work you will need to. Wire in the power button and cut a wire a Sata cable to usb header. It was not hard just sometime. I bet you could use the top hard drive trays if you use 90 power and Sata cables. I did not want to bother since I painted the case. Any questions just ask...
i'm starting to like your taste in orange :)

I am also a fan of Black and Red too. lol

Attachments

• 2018-11-02 21.31.02.jpg
    2018-11-02 21.31.02.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 263
  • 2018-11-02 21.31.21.jpg
    2018-11-02 21.31.21.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 211
  • 2018-11-02 21.31.38.jpg
    2018-11-02 21.31.38.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 187
I am also a fan of Black and Red too. lol
I'm liking that, that looks really nice, well done!

and kudos on your orange case, it does look real good as well :)

Have you looked at my 1,1 Mac Pro build ? It is a few slots down on the post list. I did what you are asking to do. Cutting the IO was not to bad just need to have sheet metal bent and welding together then Epoxy it into place. Also I Epoxied all the standoffs in place too. Also to get the front panel to work you will need to. Wire in the power button and cut a wire a Sata cable to usb header. It was not hard just sometime. I bet you could use the top hard drive trays if you use 90 power and Sata cables. I did not want to bother since I painted the case. Any questions just ask...
Thank you very much, so as far as I see I do not need to buy the laserhive kit to do the mod, as much as I read I am opting for a mATX mobo, so that I can use the top 4 bays but using a mATX is it just as good as an ATX sorry for asking but in the past I used to spend a lot of time with computers even I had a water cooled case 12 years ago but since the I switched to mac and did not use it now my 2007 Mac Pro 2.1 is 11 years old it served me well but now its time to change it, I also would like to do the psu swap lets see will keep on reading.

You don't have to buy the Laserhive kit if you are handy with tools. I have converted two Powermac G5 cases. One full ATX and one mAtx. I used the motherboard trays from old computer cases and just attached them to the G5 case. For the mATX I left the pci card rack attached to the case and only modified the backplate and fan areas. This resulted in only minor cutting of the back case. If you like I could take some pictures and attach them with a reply.
The full ATX mod required extensive cutting of the back of the case. Are you handy with Hacksaws or Dremel?
The only thing that might get in the way of using the existing pci card case is that there needs to be 6.25" for the IO on the back of the case between the left most pci opening and the bottom of the case. If there is less than that that you will have to move the pci card rack.
I should have looked at a picture of Mac Pro 2.1 before I replied.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back