Contribute
Register

Converting 2007 Mac Pro 2.1 to Hackintosh need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to buy the Laserhive kit if you are handy with tools. I have converted two Powermac G5 cases. One full ATX and one mAtx. I used the motherboard trays from old computer cases and just attached them to the G5 case. For the mATX I left the pci card rack attached to the case and only modified the backplate and fan areas. This resulted in only minor cutting of the back case. If you like I could take some pictures and attach them with a reply.
The full ATX mod required extensive cutting of the back of the case. Are you handy with Hacksaws or Dremel?
The only thing that might get in the way of using the existing pci card case is that there needs to be 6.25" for the IO on the back of the case between the left most pci opening and the bottom of the case. If there is less than that that you will have to move the pci card rack.
I should have looked at a picture of Mac Pro 2.1 before I replied.
Hi thank you very much fastone, I am very handy with tools I am also an RC enthusiast so I build rc balsa airplanes from scratch as far as I can see the mods are not too complicated but I do appreciate if you could share some pictures

so just to clarify what I would like to do and please comment if I get it wrong.

1) Definately will use an mATX motherboard to use the upper 4 drive bays, just purchased the corsair carbide air 540 hot connector to use it. so that part I am ok.
2) would like to take out the internals of the psu and swap it with an ATX psu the only thing that I do not know if for example a 750 watt psu will fit in there, what should be the maximum dimensions of the psu to go in the original psu cage ?
3) I will use the original motheboard standoffs but what I do not know is I do not have a template of the mATX motherboard to use it for locating the standoff points how do you do it, I would like to use JB Weld to fix it but do not know if it needs a little bit higher or lower standoff to align it correctly ?
4) As far as I understand cutting only the I/O will be sufficient to complete the ATX Mode
5) Do you use the original front panel, luckily Dieteman shared the front panel wiring diagram hope I can do it without frying the computer.

Appreciate if you could help me with those questions.

Standard Power Supply is 5.5 long by 5 7/8 wide and 3.25 deep. Measure the one you have to see if it fits. Since you are using a motherboard tray then the standoffs are not critical in placement , only the height is important.You need to position the motherboard tray in the correct place. My tray is approximately 1/4" above the back wall. I placed my standoffs to get me five mount points. Three along the IO side and two on the opposite edge. I placed the tray approximately where it was to go and drilled holes in the tray as close as I could get to the standoffs. When I had to place the tray in its final position I readjusted the holes to match. This way the standoffs only hold the motherboard tray and not the motherboard.
I'll take some pics and send them with another message.

Here are some pics. I used an old motherboard and video card to perfect the placement of the motherboard. I used the video card attached to the motherboard to figure out the correct height of the tray standoffs. I started off at exactly 1/4" standoffs but had to file them down 1/16" to get the video card to fit it's holder properly. I used the side panels off an old computer case to make the backplate to hold the fans. I used small bolts and nuts to secure the plate to the case.
I cut the AC connector off the original power supply and used a "U" shaped piece of scrap case to attach it to the back of the case and used the old power cord for the authentic look.
Regarding the front panel. I would get the Hac set up before I worked on the front panel. I wanted to use my front panel connections but found that I ran out of USB ports. The mac has a limit of 15 if you map the ports properly. My front were usb 2 so not worth the effort to make them work. I also read that the headphone port does not work properly with PC motherboards (no proper handoff from back port when headphones inserted). My motherboard came with a 2 port USB 3 20 pin connector and I plan to use it. I will attach it under the power button. Do get the original power button working.

Attachments

• Motherboard1.jpg
    Motherboard1.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 157
  • Motherboard2.jpg
    Motherboard2.jpg
    879.8 KB · Views: 149
  • PowerPlug1.jpg
    PowerPlug1.jpg
    876.7 KB · Views: 156
  • Backplate1.jpg
    Backplate1.jpg