RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
Hi,
Bought damaged macbook pro 2015 13", the disk is from samsung 16x12 pin and works fine in the usb case. Do i have possibility to use this disk in my case in the M.2 Connector with adapter. If yes, which one for this model. And do i have same performance as inside macbook (write,read)

Thanks in advance

@mamPHP,

If its a 16 + 12 pin SSD then I think its a Gen 3 Apple SSD

Despite using the same M.2 physical connector Apple SSD's use a customised pin layout so they only work in genuine Mac's or devices specifically designed for them (like your USB enclosure), you can't use it in a PC's standard M.2 slot.

You might be able to use it with a special M.2 Adapter that can take an Apple 16 + 12 M.2 SSD and interface it to a standard PC's M.2 slot if such an adapter exists for the type of Apple SSD you have ...

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@mamPHP,

If its a 16 + 12 pin SSD then its a M.2 ATAPI SSD and not a NVMe SSD which use a 44 pin connector.

Despite using the same M.2 physical connector Apple SSD's use a customised pin layout so they only work in genuine Mac's or devices specifically designed for them (like your USB enclosure), you can't use it in a PC's standard M.2 slot.

You can however use it with a a PCIe M.2 Adapter + Carrier card that can take an Apple 16 + 12 ATAPI M.2 SSD, if you have a hunt on eBay you should be able to find something, just make sure its the ATAPI version and not the NVMe version.

Cheers
Jay
Thanks for the quick replay, i found this on amazon QNINE PCIe SSD to M.2 Key M Adapter Card .But ATAPI is slower than NVMe even with PCIe port?

But ATAPI is slower than NVMe even with PCIe port?

@mamPHP,

Sorry i meant to write AHCI not ATAPI .. and yes AHCI M.2 SSD's are slower than NVMe M.2 SSD's.

Basically instead of an embedded NVMe controller that connects directly to the CPU or PCH via PCIe lanes (either x4 or x2) a AHCI based M.2 SSD has an embedded SATA-III controller so the read/write speed is limited to a maximum of around 580 - 600 MB/s where as something like a Samsung Evo 970 NVME can read data at around 3500 MB/s.

Typical for Apple they went the proprietary route with all their blade style SSD's so that they can charge more money for storage updates (also know as the Apple Tax :)).

There is a good guide here that details all the different Apple proprietary SSD interfaces :-

According to that guide the 16 + 12 pin Apple SSD's are Generation 3 SSD's which use a PCIe x 2 NVMe interface so I gave you some bad advice ... sorry for that ... i thought the 16 + 12 SSD's where Apple generation 2 SSD's .. my bad, I should have checked first rather than relying on my crappy memory (last post amended to reflect this).

Not all Apple SSD's can be adapted to work internally with a PC so you need to do some careful research.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Thank you again :)

Here i'm again,
The adapter is working and reconized from the system as (APPLE SATA SAM05..), but not as SATA 0 or NVME, is SATA 4?? even is connected to the M.2 port?

Regards

The adapter is working and reconized from the system as (APPLE SATA SAM05..), but not as SATA 0 or NVME, is SATA 4?? even is connected to the M.2 port?

@mamPHP,

Most M.2 slots on current PC hardware can run as NVMe or AHCI (SATA based), it just depends on the type of embedded controller on the SSD .... NVMe or AHCI.

The fact that it is showing up as APPLE SATA SAM05 on SATA 4 would suggest that it is a AHCI (SATA) based SSD.

Is the SSD listed under System Information -> NVMExpress ?

If Yes then its running as a NVMe SSD.
If No and it shows up under System Information SATA / SATA Express then its running as a AHCI (SATA) SSD.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back