Hi,

I can't control my CPU's Fan who's going fast, very fast :
_Coffee Lake i7 8700
_Watercooling Corsair Hydro H115i
_Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
_Fan in BIOS turned to "quiet" (lol)
_Big Sur 11.5.1
_OC 0.6.7 (attachement)

Macs fan control, fanny (etc) don't work.
any ideas ?
Thanks

Attachments

• EFI BIg Sur 0.6.7.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
Hi,

I can't control my CPU's Fan who's going fast, very fast :
_Coffee Lake i7 8700
_Watercooling Corsair Hydro H115i
_Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
_Fan in BIOS turned to "quiet" (lol)
_Big Sur 11.5.1
_OC 0.6.7 (attachement)

Macs fan control, fanny (etc) don't work.
any ideas ?
Thanks

This will work. It will depend on how you have connected your CPU cooler fan to the motherboard - how many pins in the fan lead. Which m/b header you used etc.

I've connected my CPU like the manual said :
_power cable
_no m/b header used, USB connected direct to chipset
_2 fans connected to the pump.
_connection pump tach cable to CPU_Fan.

I changed the connection from CPU_Fan to CPU_Opt (was nearby). Didn't change a thing.

I noticed that the pump tach cable has only the cable of Voltage speed control (which doesn't :banghead:). No cables for GND/Sens/PWM speed control.

I've connected my CPU like the manual said :
_power cable
_no m/b header used, USB connected direct to chipset
_2 fans connected to the pump.
_connection pump tach cable to CPU_Fan.

I changed the connection from CPU_Fan to CPU_Opt (was nearby). Didn't change a thing.

I noticed that the pump tach cable has only the cable of Voltage speed control (which doesn't :banghead:). No cables for GND/Sens/PWM speed control.
Hi @BezLG, it sounds like it is hooked up correctly. Did you remember to remove the protective plastic from the cooling head? That messes up a lot of folks, something else to check is if you used the correct stand off screws for the 115X socket (see attached manual insert).
Corsair.png

One last thing you can check are the settings in the bios for Smart Fan. You can at least see what its doing, and make adjustments, as long as the cooler is installed correctly.

Smart Fan.png

Hi @Leesureone ,
it's been few years i did the installation, so being honest, I don't remember.
But i assumed that I did this correctly (right screws and protective plastic removed).
In the Bios, I did put in QUIET mode (can't do much more).
Okay thanks, I had assumed it was a new install but if I understand correctly you've had this setup assembled and in use for a number of years now. If that's the case do your cooler fans behave the same way regardless of the OS being used? If it does maybe try a bios update or refresh, probably won't change anything but maybe worth a shot, or it's possible your cooler is starting to fail. Maybe the pump is going bad.

Yes, I was in Catalina (clover 5122, always been quite loud too, couldn't control the fans either), except when I'm doing really nothing, and not every time.
Now I'm on Big Sur (OC 0.6.7), and try to go to Monterey (OC 0.8.8, doesn't work yet !).

Just flash the BIOS to the last update. Didn't do a thing...

Yes, I was in Catalina (clover 5122, always been quite loud too, couldn't control the fans either), except when I'm doing really nothing, and not every time.
Now I'm on Big Sur (OC 0.6.7), and try to go to Monterey (OC 0.8.8, doesn't work yet !).

Just flash the BIOS to the last update. Didn't do a thing...
What are you CPU temperatures like? If you don't have them in OSX you can see the idle tempos in the bios.

Right now, I'm doing nothing (except Internet) : CPUs are pretty much 89°C (192°F)
Yeah, that's way high for idle temperatures, 25 degrees is more normal, the top end the CPU can handle before shutting down is 100 degrees. I'd get yourself some new thermal paste and take that thing apart, I'd bet you left the protective plastic on the cooling head all those years ago but that of course is just a guess. If not you should consider purchasing a new cooling solution because your current set up isn't doing the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back