Register

Continuity and Handoff Capable Apple Mini Cards + PCIe and mini-PCIe Adapters

Motherboard
Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU
Intel i7 9700K
Graphics
RTX 2070 Super
Hi all, I’m fairly new to all this so apologies if I have any misinformation. I’m also looking to start my first build and am considering the Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi. I noticed someone has enquired about this board already but were told to go for a PCIe x1 adapter, but to my knowledge there is only one PCIE x16 slot on the board? Someone also said that only Intel CNVi can be used in the WiFi port, so does that then mean the only option to get an Apple WiFi card working on this board is through an m.2 adapter? Is it possible to power it through a SATA port adapter by any chance?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all, I’m fairly new to all this so apologies if I have any misinformation. I’m also looking to start my first build and am considering the Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi. I noticed someone has enquired about this board already but were told to go for a PCIe x1 adapter, but to my knowledge there is only one PCIE x16 slot on the board? Someone also said that only Intel CNVi can be used in the WiFi port, so does that then mean the only option to get an Apple WiFi card working on this board is through an m.2 adapter? Is it possible to power it through a SATA port adapter by any chance?

As far as I know, all the Gigabyte Z390 motherboard that have CNVi slots will ONLY work with Intel CNVi Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards and those cards do not work with macOS.

Yes, it's possible to connect a macOS compatible Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card in to one of the M.2 slots meant for NVMe SSDs. Power will have to be provided from the power supply. SATA ports do not carry power.

Motherboard
Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU
Intel i7 9700K
Graphics
RTX 2070 Super
Ahh okay, thank you for clarifying. So m.2 is really the only option for this board?

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 Arous Gaming 7 WiFi
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
It looks like 3 pci 1 and 3 pci 16 type slots.

B61611AF-3BB7-4192-9CCA-7BE049AE4A36.png

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Follow up - both my m.2 slots are M rather than A/E. Will this matter?

M.2 slots meant for SSDs are M keyed. Just get the correct adaptor.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Great, thank you for your help!

This will convert the M key to A/E key.

Then, if you want to use an Apple made Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card, you will need another adaptor...