Contribute
Register

Continuity and Handoff Capable Apple Mini Cards + PCIe and mini-PCIe Adapters

Ok I need some help, any advice is appreciated!
So I just received my new BCM94360CD and my PCIe x1 Adapter. I know from reading past comments, you're only supposed to use it in the x1 slot because some boards disable WiFi + BT on one PCIe. However my motherboard doesn't have an x1, so I use my x16.
In Windows, I have both BT + WiFi working, so that means my board does not disable BT + WiFi on one PCIe. However in macOS, I can only get WiFi working (Bluetooth says it "Can't find any information" under System Report)

Any known fixes or better ideas?
My mobo has 2 PCI 32-bit slots. If I bought an adapter, could I get it working there?

Edit: Install BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext

Last edited:
Hello I am trying to buy the adapter and the wifi card but in the wifi card because I seen there are 2 models the BCM94360CD that is approximately 99 dollars and the BCM94331CD that is approximately 25 dollars to the 2 seems the 2 are compatible but I would like to know which of ls 2 Is better and what are the differences thank you very much and sorry for my English that is google.

Yosemite's new Handoff and Continuity features are pretty amazing. This includes making phone calls, picking up where you left off in apps on other Apple devices seamlessly. Unfortunately even the latest USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongles aren't working at all with this feature. Fortunately there are solutions available that make these features work 100%.

View attachment 112141
The best way to get Handoff and Continuity features activated is using a native Apple mini networking card from a real 2013/2014 Mac with a specially modified PCIe or mini-PCIe Adapter. I've put a few of these together, and confirm that they work really well. Check out my album below:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/members/tonymacx86/albums/handoff-phone-call-yosemite/

The first one I made was using an older MacBook Air card with the PCIe adapter. It connects both to PCIe slot and to USB hub on the motherboard. The MacBook card only had 2 antenna pins which were too small and too few for the 4 antenna PCIe adapter. I ended up ordering a iMac card which fit perfectly with PCIe adapter's 4 antenna pins. Both cards work fine with the mini-PCIe adapter as well- however you need to make sure your motherboard (I used an ITX with built in mini-PCIe slot) is fully bluetooth powered. If I were to do it again, I'd get the iMac card first, but both cards are identical Broadcom chipsets.

The following screenshots show how the card shows up on a CustoMac. It's a fully native Broadcom BCM43xx wifi with BRCM20702 Bluetooth USB hub.

View attachment 112142

View attachment 112143
View attachment 112145
View attachment 112144You can find the adapters and cards readily available on Amazon or eBay, usually shipping from China. This method provides the best cost savings- I was able to make a full unit for under $50. In addition the website osxwifi.com sells the full package- no assembly required. This method costs extra because of the convenience and assurance that the right parts are ordered.

Continuity Activation Tool is an open source script to get Continuity working with some older Macs built in Bluetooth module- this could also work with some Bluetooth 3.0 cards. Check out Github for the latest download of Continuity Activation Tool. Unfortunately this doesn't enable 3rd party USB Bluetooth devices though such as the IOGear Bluetooth dongle. EDIT: Continuity Activation Tool 2.0 works with some Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongles.

If you've ordered or enabled a specific card or adapter, this thread is to list all working and functional WIFI/BT adapters which work with Handoff and Continuity features in OS X Yosemite.

Please provide as much detail as possible including model numbers, photos, and screenshots when listing your card and adapter. Thanks!

:mrgreen:

Hey Tonymacx86. Have you found a fix for the ivy bridge customac with the Adaptor for the Apple Bluetooth/WIFI card? On my H77N-WIFI the Adaptor works perfectly fine but I'm a bit sceptical about leaving it stuck up without screwing it in.

IMG_1299.JPG

Thank You.

Jack.

I just ordered this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00MBP25UK/?tag=tonymacx8603-21. The price is good, 45 EUR.

The adapter seems to be fitted with a BCM943602CS card instead of the beloved BCM94360CD but is reported to work. I will try and report my findings here.

... is it working?

Any modifications or kexts needed?

I am wondering if there is a chance to fit this card in a low profile PCIe slot. It seems they don't sell a low profile version but maybe with a little modification it could fit!?
Can you tell me how wide it is (measurement of the board itself)?

... is it working?

I am wondering if there is a chance to fit this card in a low profile PCIe slot. It seems they don't sell a low profile version but maybe with a little modification it could fit!?

Yes. The Card is working its native. Using the exactly same card in my Desktop.

... is it working?

I have put it in the hackintosh and WIFI works out of the box, bluetooth does not. However, I haven't done the setup for handoff yet :) Working out other problems on a new install...

@VioletDragon: what did you do to activate bluetooth?

Last edited:
Back