CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX570
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, in 2018 I built a hackintosh following the Buyers' guide on this website. The first few months I was able to install macOS (High Sierra), with many glitches as my GPU wasn't supported anymore. Then it seems my setup was less and less compatible with the subsequent macOS releases. Now I just tried with a Catalina installer, but my PC doesn't even see the many USB sticks I tried anymore, I tried several macOS versions (From Sierra to Catalina). I even tried other install methods than this website's, to no avail. I suspect something might be acting up with my mobo, so I'd like some advice on a compatible motherboard, which would make macOS easier to install and use than what I currently have, or even better, something I could do to make what I currently have compatible (I already set up the BIOS according to this website).

I used the following parts:
Motherboard : Gigabyte Z370P-D3
CPU : Intel Core i7 8700K
GPU : Sapphire Radeon RX 570 PULSE, 8 GB (replacing my older MSI 4 GB Nvidia GT1050 which isn't supported by Apple anymore)
Watercooling : Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 (which I'm replacing by an air cooler because it's very noisy)
HDD : Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB (for data)
NVME SSD : Kingston A1000, 480 GB, M.2 (used for Windows 10 and Ubuntu installs)
SATA SSD : Samsung QEVO 1 TB (For macOS)

Thanks in advance.

Hello, in 2018 I built a hackintosh following the Buyers' guide on this website. The first few months I was able to install macOS (High Sierra), with many glitches as my GPU wasn't supported anymore. Then it seems my setup was less and less compatible with the subsequent macOS releases. Now I just tried with a Catalina installer, but my PC doesn't even see the many USB sticks I tried anymore, I tried several macOS versions (From Sierra to Catalina). I even tried other install methods than this website's, to no avail. I suspect something might be acting up with my mobo, so I'd like some advice on a compatible motherboard, which would make macOS easier to install and use than what I currently have, or even better, something I could do to make what I currently have compatible (I already set up the BIOS according to this website).

I used the following parts:
Motherboard : Gigabyte Z370P-D3
CPU : Intel Core i7 8700K
GPU : Sapphire Radeon RX 570 PULSE, 8 GB (replacing my older MSI 4 GB Nvidia GT1050 which isn't supported by Apple anymore)
Watercooling : Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 (which I'm replacing by an air cooler because it's very noisy)
HDD : Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB (for data)
NVME SSD : Kingston A1000, 480 GB, M.2 (used for Windows 10 and Ubuntu installs)
SATA SSD : Samsung QEVO 1 TB (For macOS)

Thanks in advance.

Your motherboard should be compatible with MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina. I also have a build based on a Gigabyte Z370 motherboard and it seems to work well with Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave.

What problems have you encountered?

Z370 motherboards are hard to come by now. If you want to replace the motherboard you may have to opt for motherboards based on the B365 / H370 / Z390 chipsets, which are compatible with the i7 8700K. If you want to have the capabililty to overclock the CPU you will have to go for Z390 motherboards.

Check the Buyer's Guide for some suggestions.

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to install high sierra again yesterday, It did boot the installer (which never happened with macOS Mojave or Catalina) and copied the files over to the SSD (how it's supposed to). Then I rebooted and couldn't load the next part of the installation process (I tried to fix the error I got, still waiting for root device, to no avail). It's the first time I'm building a hackintosh and can't fully install macOS. Don't know if it's just became harder or if I do have a hardware problem. I even tried downgrading the BIOS, to no avail.

I don't really care for the chipset, I just want something that works. Truth is I only found ONE tutorial that matches my mobo.

I want to use macOS on a desktop computer so bad I'm considering buying a real Mac (I'm typing this from my 2019 MacBook Air). Problem is the only model that would suit me is the Mac pro but I don't have that kind of money, plus it's overkill and ugly. Heck, even the Mac mini that I used to love doesn't appeal to me. I wish they made a computer like the Mac Pro but way cheaper. Like a Mac Pro barely more powerful than the mini.

I'll try again tonight with other versions of macOS.

I... I have no words for how stupid I am and I'm clueless on how much time I've been doing things wrong.

I made several Unibeast installers by formatting the flash drive first. I just never paid attention on how I erased it. Turns out I always erased it as MBR. Though I created several usbs the right way (using a GUID scheme) using unibeast after this, they never booted the installer. I then returned to the only tutorial using my mobo I ever found and did everything as the OP described. The installer booted alright (using createinstallmedia then making it bootable with clover) and I was able to install Catalina on my PC. Looks like somehow my PC is somewhat "allergic" to alternate install methods other than vanilla methods like unibeast. All I had to do to get it to work once installed is mounting the EFI partition, deleting the EFI folder and replacing it with the one on my USB.

Everything is working fine except for rebooting. It does reboot but won't boot macOS after a reboot, no matter the OS I rebooted from. I have to turn it off, then boot macOS for it to boot.

Regards, and apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back