Contribute
Register

Considering Graphics Card update - advice please!

Motherboard
GA-Z68X-UD5-B3
CPU
Intel Sandybridge i7-2600 3.40Ghz
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I am currently using a GTX 470 Graphics card on a Z68-UD5-B3 system which I use for video editing, mainly Premiere and After Effects work. I have been considering upgrading the graphics card.

Nvidia recommend their K-series graphics card for working with Adobe:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe-premiere-pro-cc.html

I can only really stretch to the K2200 with my budget - so my questions are:

1) will this card work fine on my system (Yosemite 10.10.2) - will I need to change any settings to make it work (For the GTX 470 I need GraphicsEnable=Yes, PCIRootUID=1 and nvidia alternate drivers - is that going to be the same for all Nvidia cards)
2) Is it worth it - ie How much performance improvement will I get (Nvidia claim 7.6 times performance acceleration, though it would be good to get some anecdotal reports on what this means in practice - I would love it if installing this card made SpeedGrade usable - at the moment it is too laggy to use.)
3) Are there any alternatives that I should also be considering (I'm assuming that this card is the right one because Premiere relies heavily on its CUDA based 'Mercury Engine' and this card is supposedly the best fit for that. But are there other cards that would do as good or better a job for similar cost?

many thanks!