Contribute
Register

Considering a Dell Vostro 430 mini tower..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello!

As I already own a Mini 10v which now runs 10.6.4 I have a bit of experience hackintoshing, and my confidence has grown to considering doing the same to a Dell Vostro 430 MT with the H57 Express Chipset. Does anyone have any success hackintoshing this model - most people here seem to have the 'P55' chipset.

Model would be:
Intel Core i5 750 H57 Express Chip (2.66Ghz)
2GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA 1GB GT220 or GT240
I'm not sure of the exact spec of the wireless card.

I'm going to use it as a media centre storing video to be output straight to my TV via HDMI.

Any pointers/advice would be very gratefully appreciated. what do people reckon?

Cheers!

I wouldn't go with this Dell model, or any other pre-build model for that matter. You may be able to get OS X working on it using some other method, but iBoot and MultiBeast work best with Gigabyte motherboards.

Thanks for the advice!

looking into my own build now. I'm sure i'll be back on the boards before long wondering what i've done wrong :/

Thanks again! Wish us luck..

Any status update on the 430 attempt? I've got one too, and have been thinking about trying it out.

Dell Vostro 430 Core I7 H57 2.8GHz 8Gb (4gb for SL install) 250gb SATA drive GeForce 310 video onboard audio

The Dell BIOS allows you to hit F12 and decide on boot device (CD HDD0 or HDD1) so added a second HDD for OSX

iBoot & Multibeast

SL up and running and upgraded to 10.6.8 - no problems once configured and installed.

The install was not smooth and I had the following issues:
I had to format the HDD on another MAC - perhaps due to the issue below I could not get the installer to format the disk.
The install screens did not load or display correctly the whole computer reacted v.v.v. slowly- had to guess to hit Enter.
Once installed pc responded well and osx started all ok. Ran Multibeast then Voodoo audio and finally system utilities.

Then left the PC and it went to sleep - had to reinstall as it became v.v.v.v. slow.

On reinstall disabled sleep and power saving and upgrade SL to 10.6.8 - working perfectly.
I even found the Kext for the Broadcom BCM57780 - this worked okay. However the MAC address is set to 00:00:00:00:00 - you need to run sudo ifconfig enX lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx and enter the actual mac address of the card for it to kick in. Bought a USB dongle in the end as upgrading to Lion which is 64bit and I understand this kext won't work.

Now have upgraded to Lion and Lion 10.7.2
50% of the time on boot get kernel panic - but once booted v. stable
Loaded xcode 4.1 ok ; ilife 11 ok ; mail ok;
Issues:
Youtube videos only play v. slowly
50% of boots end in kernel panic remote desktop to windows computers - only the new version works the old one doesn't so you cannot connect to older windows machines (2003 / 2000)
Okay I had the wrong Audio Kext in place - I deleted the AppleHDA and reinstalled the Voodoo one I had.....all okay now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back