Contribute
Register

Connecting a Target Display Mode (TDM) iMac to a Thunderbolt 3 Mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z370 Gaming M5
CPU
i5 8600K
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3GB
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OK, so this question has been asked in some different forms on the forum, but none have in the way I need them to. So I currently have a Mid 2011 iMac, with a Thunderbolt 1 port. I want to know if I buy a mobo with thunderbolt 3, will it connect as a second display? Yeah, yeah, I know it will use the onboard graphics, but I would be using that 2nd monitor for school mainly. Apple's documentation says that I can use a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter to connect a Mac with Thunderbolt 3, but do hackintoshes fall into this category? As reference, I attached my iMac's specs in case it helps.
Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 10.28.19 PM.png

I'd love to know if anyone was able to get this to work. Would love to use my XPS 15 9560 (running Mojave) Thunderbold 3 port with an adapter to extend display onto my 2011 iMac with Target Display Mode... So far no luck...

I have tried this using both Apple's standard TB3 adapter as well as Startech's and was unable to get this to work. I have a 2011 iMac which would only accept a TB connection opposed to other models that may accept a display port connection.

I believe there are 2 impediments here:

1. The TB port is not recognized in the System properties as having a functioning Thunderbolt drivers, which would be necessary to connect to the 2011 iMac.

2. A restriction of the hackintosh requires the TB device to be connected upon booting, this initializes the device to then be visible in the OS and function.

I have tried connecting the motherboards TB3 to the 2011 iMac that is running, then pressing and holding "Command+F2" while booting into OSX on the hackintosh. The connection was still not recognized.

I was hoping to get this working to utilize my old iMac, though is looking like i'm going to have to purchase a new monitor : /

I have tried this using both Apple's standard TB3 adapter as well as Startech's and was unable to get this to work. I have a 2011 iMac which would only accept a TB connection opposed to other models that may accept a display port connection.

I believe there are 2 impediments here:

1. The TB port is not recognized in the System properties as having a functioning Thunderbolt drivers, which would be necessary to connect to the 2011 iMac.

2. A restriction of the hackintosh requires the TB device to be connected upon booting, this initializes the device to then be visible in the OS and function.

I have tried connecting the motherboards TB3 to the 2011 iMac that is running, then pressing and holding "Command+F2" while booting into OSX on the hackintosh. The connection was still not recognized.

I was hoping to get this working to utilize my old iMac, though is looking like i'm going to have to purchase a new monitor : /

Have you modified your TB3 firmware? I would guess this to work if you modify the TB3 Firmware! Though the Designare is a bit harder it is completely possible to use an external flasher to flash modified firmware to the winbond chip. I can not say that it will work for sure but I would guess that it does since targeted disk mode is said to work if the targeted disk is a real mac.

Scroll down to

Spoiler: Thunderbolt Local Node and Thunderbolt Bus Investigation
Spoiler: Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides

Thanks @scottkendall,
Scroll down to

Spoiler: Thunderbolt Local Node and Thunderbolt Bus Investigation
Spoiler: Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides

Upon reading the spoilers I would have to flash the TB chip in my z390 to get Thunderbolt to initialize in the System Report. I am confident enough to give it a try, though I am concerned this would impact the Win10 functionality on the TB ports as I am dual booting. Is there any feedback on that?

Thanks @scottkendall,

Upon reading the spoilers I would have to flash the TB chip in my z390 to get Thunderbolt to initialize in the System Report. I am confident enough to give it a try, though I am concerned this would impact the Win10 functionality on the TB ports as I am dual booting. Is there any feedback on that?

I think it breaks it at least partly if you post in Caseys z390 Designare thread he could tell you more than I can. The issue is that Mac OS manages the card on a Mac and in windows the card has a controller that the software interfaces with. We are turning that controller off when we use the modified firmware. I have a windows VM that I use for my one last Windows program, one day I will have completely broke my addition to windows lol. Do you boot to windows for gaming? that is the only reason I could see that you would need to go into windows!

The issue is that Mac OS manages the card on a Mac and in windows the card has a controller that the software interfaces with. We are turning that controller off when we use the modified firmware.
I may have to pass on this then - would I completely lose the TB functionality in Windows? I am also using a TB audio interface, which does currently work in both the OSX and Win configurations.

I have a few programs/web-apps that are only Windows compatible, hence the dual boot. I was hoping to use my 2011 iMac as a target display, as I loved the image and colors. Now it is looking like she is going to be retiring being I recently picked up a Asus 28" 4k monitor. I will be able to game on it now too.

As a workaround I was using either "Screen Share" or Remote desktop to keep the iMac in use, though ironically the Windows boot would be able to utilize the ThunderBolt connection for networking and I would have a pretty responsive remote desktop experience, where with the OSX boot I would be limited to the LAN connection for remote access.

I may have to pass on this then - would I completely lose the TB functionality in Windows? I am also using a TB audio interface, which does currently work in both the OSX and Win configurations.

I have a few programs/web-apps that are only Windows compatible, hence the dual boot. I was hoping to use my 2011 iMac as a target display, as I loved the image and colors. Now it is looking like she is going to be retiring being I recently picked up a Asus 28" 4k monitor. I will be able to game on it now too.

Like I said previously I do not know you should make a post In the z390 Designare thread with your question regarding windows and a modified TB3 card. Or you could just try it and then change it back if it does not work to your liking. I would choose the former.

As a workaround I was using either "Screen Share" or Remote desktop to keep the iMac in use, though ironically the Windows boot would be able to utilize the ThunderBolt connection for networking and I would have a pretty responsive remote desktop experience, where with the OSX boot I would be limited to the LAN connection for remote access.

From the Mac side the networking works after the modified firmware is been updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back