CPU
i7-8086K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is it possible to connect a hackintosh PC using an EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 to a 5k iMac display using some sort of DisplayPort to DVI adapter. Looking for a way around purchasing a new monitor.

You used to be able to do this using something called Target Display Mode, but Apple stopped this functionality some time ago.

See here.

Quote from that article :

'iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) and later iMac models can't be used as Target Display Mode displays.'

Ah damn, looks like the only route will be to purchase a monitor.

Thanks for your help though.

You can get an older 1440p Apple 27" display and wait until 5k becomes more mainstream and affordable.

You can get an older 1440p Apple 27" display and wait until 5k becomes more mainstream and affordable.
Already have a 5k imac as well as a hackintosh, but was looking to use the 5k imac as the display for the hackintosh. But haven't found a solution yet.

Already have a 5k imac as well as a hackintosh, but was looking to use the 5k imac as the display for the hackintosh. But haven't found a solution yet.

Not going to happen. Unfortunately 5k and above need high bandwidth, and some monitors use dual DP ports.

I would either get a Dell 5k or hold off until Apple comes out with one next year. You can bet it'll be pricey.

They removed Target Display Mode in the 5k iMac, probably because TB3 wasn't out at the time.

I use a iMac as an external display from my MacBook Pro all the time, but of course it's a 2560x1440 display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back