Contribute
Register

Confirmed Audio Interfaces (Hobbyist/Pro-sumer/Pro) & Drivers - Mac OS X

No suprises here:

Focusrite Scarlett 18i6: Fully working in Mountain Lion.
Motu Ultralite Mk3: Usb confirmed working. No firewire to test on this hackbook.
Hercules dj console 4-mx - working 100% in mountain lion.

As (always), best results in usb 2.0 ports. This applies to windows systems alike, not a hackbook issue.

Both cards working correctly in DAW software- tested Ableton, Cubase and Reason.

After testing both cards in my home studio- i would not recommend the Motu. After 7 months the soundcard LCD screen has malfunctioned, making software GUI only way to use all features of the card. A VERY common ultralite mk3 problem. As far as sound quality, the scarlett's mic inputs are much better than the motu. On windows the motu drivers are not completly stable, better on OSX.
Enjoy.

Hi guys,

I have a Digidesign 003 Rack Factory (firewire) and works perfect !

Using AVID Pro Tools 8.04

Intel Core i7 870 2.93 Ghz
PNY GeForce 9800 gts 1GB
ASUS P7P55 WS Supercomputer
Patriot 4 GB DDR3 RAM
Snow Leopard 10.6.6
Western Digital Black Caviar 250 GB SATA
LDC 21" Acer DVI

:thumbup: :beachball:

Hi wduranpr,

Thanks for sharing your set up that works as a charm.

Mine is currently based on:
----------------------------------------
Digidesign "M box 2 Factory" (USB)
+
Digidesign "Pro Tools LE 8.0.0."
+
Digidesign "CommandI8".
+
Apple Power Mac G5 "Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.8."
---------------------------------------
04-AboutThisMac.jpg
For the moment, I did not started my build because I want to be 100 % sure of all the configuration and compatibility. Just waiting...

AVID explains on his web site:
Pro Tools LE 8.0.5 for Mac OS X supports the following operating systems:
Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Mac OS X Leopard
03-ProTools-8.0.5-Update.jpg

Have a nice evening.

Nikostudio

Anybody knows of a PCI Express Sound Card for Yosemite?

I want to hook up my DirectTV to hear audio from my DVR in my computer's speakers.

This card seems nice because it has optical input

I think this card would do the trick:

MAYA44 XTe

However, it's not produced anymore.

Has anybody tried ESI cards on Yosemite?

I REALLY want something that works out of the box, in the PCI Express lane, not an external USB Sound card.

Thanks

Anybody knows of a PCI Express Sound Card for Yosemite?

I want to hook up my DirectTV to hear audio from my DVR in my computer's speakers.

This card seems nice because it has optical input

I think this card would do the trick:

MAYA44 XTe

However, it's not produced anymore.

Has anybody tried ESI cards on Yosemite?

I REALLY want something that works out of the box, in the PCI Express lane, not an external USB Sound card.

Thanks

What's wrong with the optical connection (or analog for that matter) of your motherboard's built-in sound card? If all you're going to do is listen to the DTV audio on your computer speakers, the on-board audio capabilities of your mobo should be just fine IMHO.

Unless you've got some serious audiophile speakers hooked up to your computer (or recording studio monitors), spending a lot of $$ on a sound card is sort of a waste of $$ (plus the challenges of trying to find something that's compatible for CustoMac).

For that matter, there are TONS of kick-a$$ USB "sound cards" for $125-$200 range - in the Mac world, we call the "audio interfaces" (hence the topic of this thread). Many of those will work right OoB with no drivers, or with drivers that by now are Yosemite compatible.

Can you guys recommend a Yosemite USB/PCIe audio interface? I'd rather not spend more than $150 and only need standard in/out support. Having issues getting my X99 Yosemite onboard to work so this may be the way to go.

Can you guys recommend a Yosemite USB/PCIe audio interface? I'd rather not spend more than $150 and only need standard in/out support. Having issues getting my X99 Yosemite onboard to work so this may be the way to go.

I'd recommend looking at some of the small/portable interfaces from either Focusrite or Apogee. I believe they are now officially supported in Yosemite. I also think MOTU has a small form-factor USB interface that would provide you with some basic functionality.

Just curious, what is your use case? The on-board audio for basic music listening through computer speakers should be more than fine.

Thats a nice list of equipment guys! :clap:

I was linked here by a mod however for a pcie card that has optical in and out, but I'm seeing mainly interfaces here and not more basic end pcie cards.

I'm looking for this since I already have a couple different xlr/quarter inch interfaces via firewire around, but none of them have optical, so I need to find my solution elsewhere and I'd really like to avoid having yet another box on the table if I can avoid it, it would be better for me at least to have this as a internal pcie option.

Any advise on what to buy or any links to send me in the right direction so I can do more homework myself would be great :)

Thats a nice list of equipment guys! :clap:

I was linked here by a mod however for a pcie card that has optical in and out, but I'm seeing mainly interfaces here and not more basic end pcie cards.

I'm looking for this since I already have a couple different xlr/quarter inch interfaces via firewire around, but none of them have optical, so I need to find my solution elsewhere and I'd really like to avoid having yet another box on the table if I can avoid it, it would be better for me at least to have this as a internal pcie option.

Any advise on what to buy or any links to send me in the right direction so I can do more homework myself would be great :)

In the Mac world, PCIe audio cards for basic work-a-day audio is a pretty rare thing, as in Apple manufactured products, they come with that sort of thing OoB (unlike the PC world). So the PCIe cards that you see here are not all-in-one solutions - they typically are the interface point & require an external break-out box that actually has all the ins/outs that you need (including the optical).

What kind of motherboard do you have? Doesn't it have optical? pretty much every mobo that I've purchased in the past few years since I've started building CustoMacs have had an on-board optical interface.

You might also want to do a search of the Music forum as well to see if there's anyone who has purchased one of the current higher-end SoundBlaster cards that has optical & see if/how they got it to work.

In the Mac world, PCIe audio cards for basic work-a-day audio is a pretty rare thing, as in Apple manufactured products, they come with that sort of thing OoB (unlike the PC world). So the PCIe cards that you see here are not all-in-one solutions - they typically are the interface point & require an external break-out box that actually has all the ins/outs that you need (including the optical).

What kind of motherboard do you have? Doesn't it have optical? pretty much every mobo that I've purchased in the past few years since I've started building CustoMacs have had an on-board optical interface.

You might also want to do a search of the Music forum as well to see if there's anyone who has purchased one of the current higher-end SoundBlaster cards that has optical & see if/how they got it to work.
I'm using a server motherboard, it doesnt even have sound on it, but everything it does have is made of the same parts as a mac pro (the dual lan or the intel 4000 onboard video for example) so it doesnt have optical in or out and I'd like to have both. I'd also like a headphone or line out for the front and back (two total) and a line or mic in. (just one) so that I can actually have a functional regular rig, since my mobo doesnt have these.

Only thing I've found that has everything I need is usb and not pci.. It says it works on mac so I'm rather tempted to buy one to find out... but then I would need to find a place for this somewhere inside of my mac pro case if I wanted to run cables from this box to my back ports on the mac case.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-5-1-Ch-o...pt=US_Sound_Card_External&hash=item2ec8dcd43d

Back