Contribute
Register

Confirmed Audio Interfaces (Hobbyist/Pro-sumer/Pro) & Drivers - Mac OS X

Re: Audio Interfaces.........

Would anyone be willing to offer help with BOM for building a Hackintosh for my Metric Halo LIO-8?

Silent is key, SSD for OS, USB for external music file drives, Firewire for LIO-8, HDMI or DVI for monitor. Must be able to run Snow Leopard so I can run Pure Music in Integer / HOG mode.

http://www.channld.com/puremusic/

Thanks so much! :thumbup:

I have Yamaha N12 and everything working just fine on Snow or Lion 10.7.2.
I m using the Cubase 6 32 bit and motif xs rack(usb) no problems.

Lion 10.7.2 (64bit) and Yamaha N12 are also working but there is no integration with Cubase 6 (64 bit) for surface control ,waiting for the new drivers from Yamaha .

I m very happy with my setup ,everything working just fine on dual boot (win 7 64 bit /lion 10.7.2)

Asus P8p67 on board firewire interface(VIA Chip)

Yamaha N12. :thumbup:

My Presonus Firestudio Tube works like a charm on my hackintosh. I do have a firewire port on my motherboard but im guessing there isnt a difference if you have a firewire PCI card, although i havent seen this first hand.

i was worried about stability when building this computer for recording, but im not sure what i was worried about, its faster, and more stable than my macbook. :clap:

Can anyone share an actual build list?

jtwrace said:
Can anyone share an actual build list?

For compatible hardware look here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/11/ ... uyers.html

For silent components look here: http://www.silentpcreview.com

My Hackintosh:

- Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 - I could not install user DSDT but it works well with easybeast. Please note that some users reported issues with that board;

- CPU - Intel Core i7-2700K (amazing CPU);

- CPU Cooler - Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro (good cooler, very quiet and very easy to install);

- PSU - Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 550w (really quiet PSU, I can't hear it. I think it's not available anymore, but you can find even better PSUs these days);

- Graphics Card - Gigabyte GV-R685OC-1GD (not silent, not very loud but you can hear it, In Windows this isn't an issue because you can slow the fans speed until you can't hear them, unfortunately, has far as I know, you can't do the same with MAC OSX. My advice is to look at a fanless solution);

- Memory - CORSAIR PC3-12800 1600MHZ 8GB VENGEANCE CL9 (2X4GB) DDR3  [CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9] (actually I have 16GB (4X4GB);

- Case - Antec P180 (very good case, with the right hardware it can be completely silent. It's a little big, I changed the built in fans with Noctuas);

- Case Fans - As I wrote above, I installed 2 noctua fans and control their speed with 2 zalman fanmate 2 (at the right speed I can't hear them);

- Audio Interface - Steinberg MRX816.

Good luck.

Looking for a safe bet audio-interface for my lion build..

I get intermittent crashes with my current build for some reason...not sure why but i'll have intermittent crashes when installing certain things or backing up but i finally have lion installed and seems to be stable as long as i'm not updating software or installing anything that alters drivers.

I've crashed during my lion install several times; crashed a few times during a time machine backup (but would boot OS after install to continue the process..eventually with enough crashes and restarts I got it backed up)

I know with my build, line6 toneport (ux1) gearbox install from CD would wreck my OS install and need a format/reinstall.

How does the m-audio fw stuff work? Are the drivers already there or is there a special way to install it to not crash? I'm a hackintosh noob; haven't bought a new audio interface yet; and could use any info for this build-reason as possible..

Build:
intel i5-760 cpu
gigabyte h55n-usb3
ati sapphire 5770 graphics
8gigs of ripjaw ddr3

I have a Echo Audio AudioFire2. Works, but i'm occasionally getting drop-outs in the audio.

3.41 GHz Intel Core i7
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
GeForce GTX 580 1536 MB
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2

I use a Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP and Ableton Live 8(latest vaersion) and no problem at all.

I've got a Presonus Firestudio 26x26. This interface has been out for several years, but it is still an incredible piece. Runs flawlessly in Lion. Very transparent pres with plenty of gain and a ton of I/O.

Jabulani Jonny said:
I've got a Presonus Firestudio 26x26. This interface has been out for several years, but it is still an incredible piece. Runs flawlessly in Lion. Very transparent pres with plenty of gain and a ton of I/O.

This makes me want to upgrade to Lion. my Firestudio is amazing and i love it, but im hesitant to upgrade, based on the 64 bit/32 bit plugin issue with Logic, what DAW do you use?

Back