Contribute
Register

Confirmed Audio Interfaces (Hobbyist/Pro-sumer/Pro) & Drivers - Mac OS X

Antelope Audio interfaces work on USB without any problem, not on Thunderbolt!
RME Babyface works fine

I would not call any of the Antelope interfaces "...audio on a budget..." IMHO... (unless there was something announced at CES or NAMM recently)

I would like to add that I got a Fireface UFX+ working via Thunderbolt and USB.

The only Thunderbolt interface I've been having issue with is the PreSonus Quantum 2; the only time I got it to show up was when I was experimenting with an X299 build and had Thunderbolt hot-swap enabled; I had to power on the Quantum after the computer was booted.

I would like to add that I got a Fireface UFX+ working via Thunderbolt and USB.

The only Thunderbolt interface I've been having issue with is the PreSonus Quantum 2; the only time I got it to show up was when I was experimenting with an X299 build and had Thunderbolt hot-swap enabled; I had to power on the Quantum after the computer was booted.
One trick that works for me with other TB devices - after POST, and while your Clover screen is counting down, press a key to halt the countdown, and *then* connect your TB device. Once you see it powered up, then press whatever key you need to for continuing boot process. it's not the most elegant thing, but it seems to work for some of my TB devices that tend to be problematic when I plug them in while the machine is powered off.

I would not call any of the Antelope interfaces "...audio on a budget..." IMHO... (unless there was something announced at CES or NAMM recently)
ok had to split this into 2 replies.... one.... budget iD14 works on a hackintosh (thats is on a budget)

On topic:
Not on a budget and works.... RME Babyface Pro, and Antelope interfaces on USB (!) (not working on thunderbolt, an Antelope issue you can read more all over this and other forums, by the way.... on a real mac it works from thunderbolt 2 and on on thunderbolt 1 it is also buggy)

Last edited:
We've been trying to solve a similar problem with Slate VRS-8. Amazing preamps and converters. I have done extensive tests over 2 weeks and I have to say I'm impressed. One thing I am having problems with is that on my hack the driver simply won't attach to the device, though it's visible in the IOReg. And that's true for both a Thunderbolt connection and using their proprietary PCIe re-driver card. More discussion about it on this thread:
Using a Presonus Quantum Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interface...HELP

One trick that works for me with other TB devices - after POST, and while your Clover screen is counting down, press a key to halt the countdown, and then connect your TB device. Once you see it powered up, then press whatever key you need to for continuing boot process. it's not the most elegant thing, but it seems to work for some of my TB devices that tend to be problematic when I plug them in while the machine is powered off.

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it didn't help in my case.

Thank you I will check that thread out.

I did come across an interesting development after further testing:

I can daisychain the Quantum 2 from the back of my Satellite and add a Thunderbolt LaCie rugged Thunderbolt drive to the back of the Quantum 2 and everything will show up except for the Quantum 2.

I can daisychain the Quantum 2 from the back of my Satellite and add a Thunderbolt LaCie rugged Thunderbolt drive to the back of the Quantum 2 and everything will show up except for the Quantum 2.
Correct, the problem is that the driver fails to attach to the device. It's definitely NOT a Thunderbolt issues, I can tell you that right now. You might want to hang on on that thread I mentioned. Or start your own thread and I can try and walk you through the steps I took. I see you're on X299, so I'm not sure I can help but it's worth a try.

Quad-Capture (Roland) having "sleep wake" failures since 10.14.3 supplemental update so I use instead a Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen. Working fine in Mojave and there is also a low latency patch to reduce RTL.

A little late but anyway: Scarlett 18i20 on my main DAW with Reaper, RTL of around 7.5 ms at 104 buffer so a bit better than my Quad and Octacapture.

I can confirm Slate VRS-8 Running on both Z270 Asus Hero & Z390 Designaire.

Attachments

• Slate VRS-8 Running on Z390 Designaire.png
    Slate VRS-8 Running on Z390 Designaire.png
    625.5 KB · Views: 120
Back