Graphics
EVGA GTX680
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I apologize in advance for being a noob and if this might of come up in any threads. I've tried researching as much as possible but am at the point where I've spent more days working on the computer than what it is probably worth to me.

A few things to start off:

- I am new to Hackintosh builds. This was my first. I used the Buyer's guide here and have the Custom Mac Pro with

i7- 3770
GA-z77x-UP5-TH
32 GB - Vengeance Ram
750 Corsair power supply
500 gb samsung 840 ssd
ASUS GeForce GTX 680 graphics
Dual screen monitors

- The computer worked AWESOME for about 2 weeks. It is a dedicated editing station that only has a few programs loaded on it; FCP, Adobe programs, C4D and that's about it. After the first few weeks the FCP project files would randomly become corrupted. FCP would crash and the computer would hang up on the white screen when shutting down. Eventually, the computer wouldn't read the SSD drive. I went through forums for a few days and the consensus was that I would need to reinstall... So I bit the bullet and did so. Luckily I save all project files to a Drobo and external hard drives. The only thing on the SSD was the OS and all the programs.

After reinstalling everything again began to work well but after a few day project files would randomly become corrupted, program files would crash and we noticed a little indication of a type of static over the head phones when things would start to act up. Keep in mind the wifi is off, these are all licensed copies of the programs and this computer is solely for the purpose of editing for 1 editor.

After shutting down last night, we tried to boot up today and the computer gets to the apple load screen and shuts down. I've tried running in safe mode and verbose modes to see what errors it might come up with. It shuts down before I can grab a still of it so I ran it in single user mode and here is what it says:

mac1.jpg

This is so frustrating and I hope it's something simple that I'm just overlooking or am just ignorant about. I did notice that the Samsung 840 drive wasn't on the buyer's guide and that might be a compatibility issue. I'm not sure if that could corrupt anything or if my settings in MultiBeast are off... I appreciate all your help in advance and, again, I apologize in advance if this has been covered before.

Do the simple stuff first. Boot in safe mode and go into Disk Utility to verify/ repair your disk and correct your permissions. That could correct some of your corruption problems.

Run MultiBeast with your usual settings. Reboot -v and see if that corrects your problems. If it does not, take a clear photo, post it here. Don't limit the size in your camera, because you want it as big as possible. A tiny, unreadable photo is of no use.

We don't save anything other than the OS and programs to the actual hard drive. It's more of a hassle than detrimental when the drive doesn't boot or we end up with corrupt files. Our auto save is set every few minutes so even the FCP files end up recoverable when the main file ends up corrupt.

Being new to these builds I know that I am probably what is wrong with the computer. I've reformatted the SSD and installed Mountain Lion on it again. I don't know ANYTHING about the multibeast settings and what I need to set everything at. I'm simply going off what I read others with the same board have used. I'm sure that's the problem.

I can now load Mountain Lion but I don't want to install anything until I know I have the right MB settings. Installing all of our editing and 3d programs gets very old and time consuming after a while and I'd like to make sure I've got everything right before investing more time into it.

Any suggestions or screenshots on what settings I should select would be much appreciated!

I used Stork's guide for my MB settings but used the iMac12,2 for a system definition.

I used his method and got into problems.

I had to use EasyBeast for a while. I had some BIOS settings wrong which prevented me using DSDT-free. I'm fine now, but it was a real learning curve.

Go into BIOS and hit function key F7 to get an optimized build and make some necessary changes: xHCI mode=auto, HPET=enabled, Init Display First=IGFX (remove the graphics card and boot from on board graphics.) WakeonLAN=Disabled, VT-d=disabled.
Make sure that the Boot Priority Option#1 is the drive you want to boot into, not your optical drive.

Here are the MultiBeast settings I use. We'll discuss your graphic card later. I got my attachments backwards. Hit the right one first.

Attachments

• MultiBeast settings2.png
    MultiBeast settings2.png
    182.6 KB · Views: 215
  • MultiBeast setting1.png
    MultiBeast setting1.png
    172.6 KB · Views: 161
Used your settings and everything is confirmed working like a champ! System updated, shut down/ start up no problems!

As for configuring the Graphics card and dual monitor setup?

UPDATE: Sound doesn't seem to be working. After looking in the system settings the only driver for sound in there is for Apple TV... That works. But my audio ports on the computer for desktop speakers do not.

As for configuring the Graphics card and dual monitor setup?

After installing your GFX, in BIOS, change init Display First to PEG. Your Intel on-board Graphics should still continue to work. See what kind of output you get off the card. You should research it if it doesn't work, because I'm not using a GFX yet.

Sound doesn't seem to be working. After looking in the system settings the only driver for sound in there is for Apple TV... That works. But my audio ports on the computer for desktop speakers do not.

Go into System Information to see if the computer can see your in/outputs. If they are there, go back to System Preferences and see if you have inputs and outputs. Sometimes, the computer needs to be reminded of what hardware you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back