Contribute
Register

Computer won't boot into macOS, but works fine in windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

For information only - in no way trying to invalidate your findings or the site linked to. I appreciate your input and effort:

I ran the suggested check and although my own SIP is 'disabled', at least as far as is usually required for Hackintosh use i.e. CSR = 0x67 & BooterConfig = 0x28, I had the first, var is SIP protected, response.

And yes, I constantly use Google Chrome.

So although I don't dispute any findings, it might serve as a pointer not to panic and assume too much at this point?

:)

Last edited:
I ran the suggested check and although my own SIP is 'disabled', at least as far as is usually required for Hackintosh use i.e. CSR = 0x67 & BooterConfig = 0x28, I had the first, var is SIP protected, response.

/var is supposed to be unmodifiable. Period. It's one of the protected root directories. Those are supposed to be unchangeable even with SIP disabled. The fact that a mere launch daemon could get in there and alter it without even so much as user input such as a root password means there's a serious gap in OS X security (and that someone at Google was doing something really wrong).

One of the immediate side effects of this happening was that all functionality in the OS was essentially lost. Anything that used .kext input was disabled. Audio, internet, etc. That's why I rebooted because I lost internet even though I could get through to the cable modem and router just fine. Then I got hit with the dreaded shutdown on bootup.

I was able to restore functionality before this article got posted because I had a working Sierra installer with Clover on it to boot from and reinstall the OS (which resets symlinks to defaults). Not everyone is that lucky.

Chrome just got nuked from orbit on all of my systems. Fool me once...

solution:

Boot into Single User mode
mount -uw /
rm -fr /var (I'd prefer: mv /var /var-bak )
ln -s /private/var .
chflags -h -v restricted,hidden,uchg var
reboot
Well i don't know if that worked for me or not bc i already install High Sierra

Thank you soooo very much. It's a good thing I'm a tenacious sort....It took a while to figure out how this worked in entering, but I finally got it.

solution:

Boot into Single User mode
mount -uw /
rm -fr /var (I'd prefer: mv /var /var-bak )
ln -s /private/var .
chflags -h -v restricted,hidden,uchg var
reboot

Thanks for all your help! However, when I type in mount -uw /var it says I don't have permission

/var is supposed to be unmodifiable. Period. It's one of the protected root directories. Those are supposed to be unchangeable even with SIP disabled. The fact that a mere launch daemon could get in there and alter it without even so much as user input such as a root password means there's a serious gap in OS X security (and that someone at Google was doing something really wrong).

One of the immediate side effects of this happening was that all functionality in the OS was essentially lost. Anything that used .kext input was disabled. Audio, internet, etc. That's why I rebooted because I lost internet even though I could get through to the cable modem and router just fine. Then I got hit with the dreaded shutdown on bootup.

I was able to restore functionality before this article got posted because I had a working Sierra installer with Clover on it to boot from and reinstall the OS (which resets symlinks to defaults). Not everyone is that lucky.

Chrome just got nuked from orbit on all of my systems. Fool me once...

Okay.

My point was that the problem with Chrome was not happening here with SIP disabled, as is usual in a Hackintosh.

I don't say the problem is not real, just that inexperienced users running Terminal commands they do not fully understand without checking for other causes of the problem, can be dangerous too, especially on /var.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back