HP 8300 Elite CMT
i7-3770 CPU
AMD RX-480 8GB
8GB RAM
Samsung 850 250GB SSD
EVGA 650W PSU
Clover Version 5070
High Sierra 10.13.6

I've been using the computer in this configuration for months now, but the other day, HWmonitor showed my CPU temps were very hot, so I shut the computer off and restarted it. It worked for a few minutes, but then unexpectedly shut off. Since then, I have been able to boot into windows just fine without it shutting off or anything.

Since then, I've restarted the computer many times, re-applied thermal paste to the cpu, dusted out the case, re-inserted the RAM sticks, but to no avail. Now, when I get to the Clover bootloader and I select the macOS volume, the screen goes black like it's preparing to boot into the OS, but it just stays black and eventually the keyboard backlight turns off and the computer just seems to freeze there. CPU fan just spinning, no picture, sound, or anything.

Can anyone help? It's my main video editing system and I'm just at a loss right now.

headzombie - I know about the AVID accusation (I work for them) and there are other theories about - where do you see 'anything with media encoder'?

Did the rebooting problem happen yesterday? There is a world-wide mac reboot issue currently. For some folks running a recovery works, not me. This article says AVID systems, but its anything with media encoder.

Interesting article! however I'm not sure if it's related to my current issue. I'm going to try and take a video of the issue later. However, the SSD is recognized by the BIOS, and I may run a hard drive test later to see if the drive is kaput.

headzombie - I know about the AVID accusation (I work for them) and there are other theories about - where do you see 'anything with media encoder'?

I'll need to go look to find them again, was reading through a ton of posts this morning, as my machine is still down. Saw it mentioned a couple places.

solution:

Boot into Single User mode
mount -uw /
rm -fr /var (I'd prefer: mv /var /var-bak )
ln -s /private/var .
chflags -h -v restricted,hidden,uchg var
reboot

I'm definitely out of my depth here, but I've figured out how to get into single user mode. Do I simply type what you have here? I'm guessing I don't break them up by line as you have here because it doesn't seem to let me do that....illegal option if I hit the return. Do I type the word, reboot or is that a direction?

I'm definitely out of my depth here, but I've figured out how to get into single user mode. Do I simply type what you have here? I'm guessing I don't break them up by line as you have here because it doesn't seem to let me do that....illegal option if I hit the return. Do I type the word, reboot or is that a direction?
A more detailed method is shown in the thread linked in Post #6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back