Contribute
Register

Computer won't boot after 10.6.8 update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I used my wife's mac to make the USB thing. Don't think it worked though. What version OS do I have to have on her computer to make the ML USB bootable?

Would it be advisable to wait until I get my i5-3350p back from warranty with Newegg to slap in my other motherboard (Z77 Extreme3) to try anything more?

axehead15

What OSX is the Wifes Mac running.

If you downloaded the file from the app store what version was it

Did you use UniBeast to make the USB drive - did this work or did you have issues if so what.

Did you use an 8GB usb drive or larger and follow the instructions as provided by www.unitbeast.com

Can or have you tried to boot from the USB stick in the computer you want to install ML too.
If so what happened.

She is running 10.6.8, but I downloaded the ML file from the app store. Just haven't upgraded her computer yet in case I needed to get at the file again.

I did follow the instructions on this site for unibeast. It didn't work though, unibeast couldn't finish installation onto the USB drive, even though it was an 8GB stick. Maybe I should try on my 32GB stick? I've tried to boot from the USB, but it wasn't recognized as a bootable disk, which is because unibeast couldn't finish installing.

I am slightly confused on one aspect of the USB disk though...should I put the ML file onto the disk and then run the unibeast installation, or vise versa?

Any ideas?

She is running 10.6.8, but I downloaded the ML file from the app store. Just haven't upgraded her computer yet in case I needed to get at the file again.

I did follow the instructions on this site for unibeast. It didn't work though, unibeast couldn't finish installation onto the USB drive, even though it was an 8GB stick. Maybe I should try on my 32GB stick? I've tried to boot from the USB, but it wasn't recognized as a bootable disk, which is because unibeast couldn't finish installing.

I am slightly confused on one aspect of the USB disk though...should I put the ML file onto the disk and then run the unibeast installation, or vise versa?

Any ideas?

axehead15

Wifes Mac is fine w SL 10.6.8 - and you were able to download the OSX ML 10.8.3 file or is it older. As to updating Wifes Mac do that after things settle down w the Hack.

You can redownload the file many times from the Apple App store w/o paying for it again.

I believe these are one shot deals so if the first attempt was a failure then download it again -

USB drives should be USB 2.0 not 3.0 spec drives. Yes a USB 8 Gb drive can be smaller than 8GB and be sold as 8GB - suggest finding a 16 GB and partition it. You could use the 32 GB again partition and it should be USB 2.0 spec.

If the USB drive is smaller that 8GB UniBeast will not install correctly. Should be 8192 MB = 8GB in computer speak not 8000 MB which is 8 GB Decimal which is marketing speak. Base 16 vs Base 10 Numbers.

The ML file gets dropped into the Applications folder when downloaded - ( at least when I did it) and this is where UniBeast will look for it - if its not their then download it again and run multibeast and use the 8GB thumb Drive - do not move the file ( I did once and the file was useless afterwards) if that happens download it again...

OK cool, I will give that a try tonight probably. Thanks! I bet my 8GB USB drive isn't really 8GB, so that's why it didn't install unibeast all the way.

I really appreciate all the help you have given me bud.

OK cool, I will give that a try tonight probably. Thanks! I bet my 8GB USB drive isn't really 8GB, so that's why it didn't install unibeast all the way.

I really appreciate all the help you have given me bud.

axehead15

Ok well good luck and make sure that you have the correct byte count of your drive - you can do a conversion w Google to find out the capacity.

Hello, are you booting in verbose mode (use -v at bootloader screen) to see where the problem lies? With the 10.6.8 update the [PCI Configuration Begin] problem is usually the culprit.

If this is indeed the problem, one method is to replace the ACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily kexts with their 10.6.7 counterparts. This approach worked for me, in fact. I 'revived' two frozen systems with this.

I'm slowly getting my first hackintosh going. I have this same problem. I did run the -v option and the screen does stop at the [PCI Configuration Begin] section. How does one replace the kexts if one cannot get the box to start? 10.6.7 booted fine (as did everything back to 10.6.3). I is NOT a Sandy Lake system and it's using an EVGA nVidia video PCI card. The system showed the update to the 10.6.8 Combined from within 10.6.3, which I've installed with no problems. Four times.

Last edited:
I'm slowly getting my first hackintosh going. I have this same problem. I did run the -v option and the screen does stop at the [PCI Configuration Begin] section. How does one replace the kexts if one cannot get the box to start? 10.6.7 booted fine (as did everything back to 10.6.3). I is NOT a Sandy Lake system and it's using an EVGA nVidia video PCI card. The system showed the update to the 10.6.8 Combined from within 10.6.3, which I've installed with no problems. Four times.
Why are you resurrecting this ancient thread rather than continuing your own previous thread or starting a new one?

Goind Bald: Every other board rasises a stink if someone starts a new thread when one already exists on the topic.

Goind Bald: Every other board rasises a stink if someone starts a new thread when one already exists on the topic.
Not here when the topic is 3 years old.

Not here when the topic is 3 years old.
Then perhaps the old threads should be locked? Why build a new railroad when there's already one in your front yard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back