Contribute
Register

Computer won't boot after 10.6.8 update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
Intel Celeron G530
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Helloooooooo,

Computer specs:

Motherboard: ASRock H61M-DGS
RAM: 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
CPU: Intel Celeron G530

I am using built in graphics on the motherboard.

So on to the problem I am having!

I followed the install guides for Snow Leopard and was finally on my third try able to get to the point where I could run the 10.6.8 combo update. I did that and rebooted.

When I try to get into my HDD now, it goes to the white loading screen with the Apple logo, and looks like it is going to start. Buuuuut it doesn't :p What happens is it acts like it went to sleep and won't be woken up. The fans are still running and the computer is on, but the monitor goes into powersaving mode and i can't get the computer to do anything at all. Same thing happens when I try to do it in safe mode or with iBoot.

I haven't gotten to the point of using the modified BIOS thingy in the DSDT forums yet that samisnake posted, that was going to be next.

Should I go through the whole process of re-partitioning the drive and re-installing the OS again? It would only be the fourth time lol.

Has anyone else had this problem?

BTW, I only have 1 stick of 4GB RAM in the board atm because I took the other stick out for installation as the guides said.

-AxE

Edit: I did get the modified BIOS in now, and it made no difference. I also can't make HPET 64 bit as there is no option for that on the UEFI.

Did you run bridge helper and reboot before running the 10.6.8 update?

Hello, are you booting in verbose mode (use -v at bootloader screen) to see where the problem lies? With the 10.6.8 update the [PCI Configuration Begin] problem is usually the culprit.

If this is indeed the problem, one method is to replace the ACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily kexts with their 10.6.7 counterparts. This approach worked for me, in fact. I 'revived' two frozen systems with this.

I will try the -v thing and let you know what happens when i do.

EDIT: It goes by wayyyy too fast for me to be able to read. There is a long string after it finds the ethernet settings, but the screen goes black before I can read it.

Should I just try replacing those kexts anyway to see if this fixes the problem? How do I go about getting those?

@GB, yes I did the Update Helper and reboot before 10.6.8 install.

I will try the -v thing and let you know what happens when i do.

EDIT: It goes by wayyyy too fast for me to be able to read. There is a long string after it finds the ethernet settings, but the screen goes black before I can read it.

Should I just try replacing those kexts anyway to see if this fixes the problem? How do I go about getting those?

@GB, yes I did the Update Helper and reboot before 10.6.8 install.

axelhead

Just to review - the HPET is on by default - you have set the SATA interface to ACHI and you have set the power settings to S3

Did you use any start up swiths at the Chimera Boot loader screen - I call them command switches.

As your CPU is built w SB tech you will need to have this set for boot -

-x -v -f acpi=off PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No
is one that I have used for the install - but has you have a SB CPU you will need to change the PCIRootUID=0 to =1 for SB CPU's

We have a modified install process done by Jester969 - How to due a sandybridge cpu w compatable hardware OSX hack 10.6.8 build. jester969

Typical installation steps are:
1) iBoot + Disk Utility + install Snow Leopard DVD (perform install via DVD) reboot
2) iBoot + Installed OSX HDD (boot with iBoot and loading OS via newly installed HDD) - get welcome screen
3) Run Update Helper and Reboot?
4) iBoot + Installed OSX HDD, run combo update 10.6.8 , DO NOT reboot
5) Run Multibeast and select option which are required to your board.
6) Reboot w/out iBoot

Audio/Ethernet/DSDT

DSDT and BIOS firmware must match to the corresponding number.

As you dont have a DSDT file you will need to use MultiBeast slightly differently w EasyBeast - you will need to know what your network chip is and you Codec for sound is - Realtek 8111C network ; Realtek ALC662 sound. If you dont see these you will need to find them ( Google) and use a program called Kext Helper tp install them - also once you have finished make sure you selected the System Utilities section of MultiBeast and also a Bootloader - Chimera before rebooting -

A good guide for MulitBeast can be found by doing a Google Search for this "How to use Multibeast 3 and 4: a comprehensive guide for Snow Leopard and Lion" the date on the page will be January 26 2012.

Wow, I don't know how I missed this post lol. Sorry about that. If I do a 10.8 install will I have better luck? Just out of curiosity...

I will try what you recommended. Thanks :)

Also, after running -v, it appears that it isn't recognizing the Onboard Intel HD graphics. Which makes sense because when it tries loading the OS the screen goes into power saving mode, as if there is no video coming through at all. Says it is missing the kext or something.

Wow, I don't know how I missed this post lol. Sorry about that. If I do a 10.8 install will I have better luck? Just out of curiosity...

I will try what you recommended. Thanks :)

Also, after running -v, it appears that it isn't recognizing the Onboard Intel HD graphics. Which makes sense because when it tries loading the OS the screen goes into power saving mode, as if there is no video coming through at all. Says it is missing the kext or something.

axehead15

Check what is set for video ram in the BIOS - we suggest only 64 mb - also you should be using the DVI port on the motherboard not the VGA - If you need to you may try a DVI to vga adapter if the monitor has not DVI port.

Do search forums for this cpu chip and see the results - this chip is not one of the versions that has the more optimized built in graphics - HD3000/4000 that Apple has used - this Celeron CPU Version is rather stripped down.
But at least its a Sandy Bridge design.

You may need an external or dedicated GFX card - nVidia 8400GS or some of the GT9xxx like I use.
See what you can find that you can use to test with. New cards on Fermi or Kepler are not going to work.
http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/Graphics_Card_Database

If you do use a dedicated GFX card - disable Video in the BIOS and point the source to the external card.

Also you should use for startup after the update from OSX 10.6.8 a -f switch - this will refresh any cached kexts w the new ones that were installed.
So like this -v -f PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No

I already had it on DVI. I did try everything you suggested, except I still have to try a dedicated graphics card. The only one I have is a GTX 650 Ti though :/ (Keplar).

I don't get why it only does it after the update though. And even when I put iBoot back in, it does the same thing. What does 10.6.8 change?

Is there any way to just go straight to 10.8?

I already had it on DVI. I did try everything you suggested, except I still have to try a dedicated graphics card. The only one I have is a GTX 650 Ti though :/ (Keplar).

I don't get why it only does it after the update though. And even when I put iBoot back in, it does the same thing. What does 10.6.8 change?

Is there any way to just go straight to 10.8?

axelhead15

No not without another mac or hack that is on LION then you can get to the Apple App store purchase and download the file then make the thumb drive from the downloaded file.

Your hardware needs to boot from the iBoot CD - which version to you have.

You could try after the install of the 10.6.8 to use MultiBeast and install the bootloader again - but if your CPU is Ivy BRidge or the equivalent motherboard hardware is IVY Bridge then you can only boot from the iBoot IB Cd.

Yeah I used my wife's mac to make the USB thing. Don't think it worked though. What version OS do I have to have on her computer to make the ML USB bootable?

Would it be advisable to wait until I get my i5-3350p back from warranty with Newegg to slap in my other motherboard (Z77 Extreme3) to try anything more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back