Contribute
Register

computer reboots when streaming video (e.g. Plex)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97x-UD5H-BK
CPU
i5 4690
Graphics
Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Mac
  1. iMac
I am running a plex server to serve VR movies. Whenever I stream a VR movie to a device, my hackintosh almost instantly reboots. I've tried connecting to the movies straight through plex, and also via UPNP. Same results every time

Gigabyte UD5h
32 GB ram
Intel 3.49GHz Intel i5
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2048MB

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot and solve this problem?

Thanks

Curious, I was about to post this elsewhere as I'm having exactly the same issue with similar hardware. Otherwise stable vanilla el capitan build. Nvidia drivers working with nvda_drv=1, RAM correctly recognized after clover update.

Freezes completely without any KP display, reset button won't respond. Usually when playing streaming video e.g. youtube, occasionally with VLC. Checked the Console for any KP type error, but there is literally nothing. I can benchmark and get 20K+ in geekbench without any instability whatsoever. I can leave the computer running for days cycling the aerial apple TV screensaver (which is essentially full screen video, and it is rock solid).

My Build:
EVGA GTX 950 2GB (internal intel igfx disabled, although this issue persisted even with it enabled
Core I7-6700K 4.0 (was able to reproduce the freeze running at stock speed, as well as liquid OC at 4.6 ghz)
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5
Corsair H60
Crucial Basllistix Sport 32GB (16GBx2) DDR 4

What wattage is your Power Supply? Have you checked you're temperatures also?

I am running a plex server to serve VR movies. Whenever I stream a VR movie to a device, my hackintosh almost instantly reboots. I've tried connecting to the movies straight through plex, and also via UPNP. Same results every time

Gigabyte UD5h
32 GB ram
Intel 3.49GHz Intel i5
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2048MB

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot and solve this problem?

Thanks

You may have a memory issue. I once bought a mac mini from someone who had upgraded the ram on his own. The computer would periodically just restart. I took it to apple and had them change it to approved apple memory and the problem disappeared. I was getting similar error to what you are describing.

Check to make sure the ram you are using is compatible with the os. it may be to fast or slow.

I upgraded to a brand new 800W power supply (overkill). Same problem
I tried swapping RAM and confirmed compatibility. Same problem
This happens within seconds after a fresh boot if I start streaming from plex to my iphone, even if the computer has been off all night, so I doubt it's a temperature issue.

I have no problems with any other activity on the computer - this only happens when I'm streaming video from the computer to an ipad or iphone. I've tried streaming FROM various apps (plex, VLC, Serviio), to various apps (plex iphone, vlc iphone, some VR iphone progs) with the same results. I've tried streaming lower resolution video with similar results (sometimes the reboot takes a little longer). There is not freeze/KP, etc - just a simple reboot.

I upgraded to a brand new 800W power supply (overkill). Same problem
I tried swapping RAM and confirmed compatibility. Same problem
This happens within seconds after a fresh boot if I start streaming from plex to my iphone, even if the computer has been off all night, so I doubt it's a temperature issue.

I have no problems with any other activity on the computer - this only happens when I'm streaming video from the computer to an ipad or iphone. I've tried streaming FROM various apps (plex, VLC, Serviio), to various apps (plex iphone, vlc iphone, some VR iphone progs) with the same results. I've tried streaming lower resolution video with similar results (sometimes the reboot takes a little longer). There is not freeze/KP, etc - just a simple reboot.

Do you have the panic log? It'll be easier looking at the panic log. Are you using native NVRAM or are you using EmuVaribles? If you are then you won't have native panic log.

I don't even know what an EmuVariable is :)

Where would I get the panic log? There is no kernel panic happening - screen goes black and reboots

EmuVaribles is in EFI/Clover/Drivers64UEFi. If you have it remove it boot back into OS X and open PLEX and them stream some movies to your iPad or iPhone if it reboots you will have a panic log once you've booted back into OS X. Another thing it could be a DRM issue are your movies ripped from a genuine DVD or Blu-Ray or are they from iTunes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back