2. Apple
  3. iMac
  4. Lisa
  5. Power Mac
  6. PowerBook
  7. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So lately I have been having an odd issue come up with my desktop thats now becoming a major pain in my ass.

About a month ago, while using Premiere Pro, my computer locked up, cycled the audio it was stuck on and then out of the blue shut itself off. I thought that maybe I hit something and the power came loose or it was my batter backup that was acting up.

A few weeks went by and then it did it again, this time with Adobe Audition while I was editing a podcast episode. Again, the computer locks up, cycles the small bit of audio and then powers down. SO at this time I assumed it was an Adobe issue and talked with Adobe. They walked me through some steps and it worked for a couple of day, using the machine for 8-10 hours without a problem.

Then while I am on the browser, it again locks up, sits for a few seconds then powers down and I have to power it back up. Then it did it again while using Quickbooks.

I am on the newest version of Catalina that I updated last week and now its doing it sometimes 3-4 times a day. While it makes me save more frequently than I normally would, it's becoming a major issue... like today when I cant even make it go in Premiere longer than 5 minutes before it freezes and then powers down. Any help would be appreciated because at this point, I'm losing valuable time with work and clients without a stable desktop.

I also want to add that I am using Clover as my bootloader, I am up to date with my software and I have 4 external hard drives hooked up to the machine and the desktop is in fact plugged into a Cyber Power 850VA Battery Backup

Given the above I would start looking in to a hardware fault rather than software. It is effecting too many other applications to be an Adobe issue only. Those apps might have been the ones that were affected first, but maybe the cause of the freeze and shutdown is happening more frequently and now is noticeable when running other apps.

Do you have a hardware monitoring app on your system? Adding something like HSMonitorSMC2 to your system https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/HWMonitorSMC2 might show if one of the components, fans etc is misbehaving and causing the freeze and shut down.

This is the type of information you can see when using the HWMonitorSMC2 app:

Screenshot 2021-06-28 at 17.46.50.png Screenshot 2021-06-28 at 17.47.11.png

Screenshot taken from my Haswell system, your Skylake system should show similar details if you include the correct/necessary kexts in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder and add the app to your Applications folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back