Contribute
Register

Computer Freeze with Broken Cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't tried your Bullet #3 steps yet. But I'm currently running on 10 days of uninterrupted work on the machine without any hiccups with the following suggestions:
  • Removed two of the four DIMMs -- either A1/B1 or A2/B2.
  • Removed the Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi/BT card.
  • Disabled X.M.P. Profile 1.
Which leads me to believe the issue may have been one of the above three elements. I did a run a full Rember test on the memory when I first got it, so I doubt it's that, but who knows. What order do you suggest I put things back in at for best testing of where the problem lies?

Ok, so fascinating development. For starters, I found that 2 of the 4 pin connectors on my Fenvi card were actually loose and broke off when I took the card out. So I have a replacement for it arriving tomorrow. In the meantime, I placed the two memory sticks back into the computer and ran that for a full week without any issues whatsoever. So I was pretty certain it was the Fenvi card after all. Last night I turn X.M.P. Profile 1 back on, and to my HUGE surprise, today the freezing with the broken cursor returned. And that's without the Fenvi card in the system. So there's something wrong with memory and the X.M.P. Profile 1.

Can you shine any light on this @CaseySJ ?

Ok, so fascinating development. For starters, I found that 2 of the 4 pin connectors on my Fenvi card were actually loose and broke off when I took the card out. So I have a replacement for it arriving tomorrow. In the meantime, I placed the two memory sticks back into the computer and ran that for a full week without any issues whatsoever. So I was pretty certain it was the Fenvi card after all. Last night I turn X.M.P. Profile 1 back on, and to my HUGE surprise, today the freezing with the broken cursor returned. And that's without the Fenvi card in the system. So there's something wrong with memory and the X.M.P. Profile 1.

We have encountered various strange and bizarre problems with X.M.P. Profile 1. These problems are rare. Very rare. But they do occur.

Fortunately, XMP Profile is not needed. Apple's own computers run at a maximum of 2933 MHz, so we can easily disable XMP Profile 1 and set memory speed to 2933 MHz.

One can also try a different brand of memory. G.Skill TridentZ for example works quite well for most people. And no need to buy anything faster than 3200 MHz.

Yes, I had tried to follow your suggestion and disable X.M.P, the screen was still frozen, good news is the pointer maintained its form. The system log said it's a problem of GPU. See my problem here.

@CaseySJ
Thanks for the tip! So I went back and tried a series of different configurations. I saw in your original post an updated tip:

Update 3 Sep 2019: Enabling X.M.P. Profile in BIOS and using DDR4 memory modules faster than 2666MHz may be causing this problem. Please see this post by @CN7. If you're using RAM that is faster than 2666MHz, it is possible to enable X.M.P. Profile 1 anyway, but set System Memory Multiplier to 26.66. This will cap the speed to 2666MHz and prevent the disk eject issue when sleep is invoked. Please see this post by @jhahn.

Currently, I'm running on XMP Profile 1, and memory speed set to 2933 and things seem to be stable so far. Still getting a lot of flashing and visual glitches just as the system is logging in, but other than that things are stable. I have no idea what XMP Profile does, so can you shine some light on whether you recommend it being on/off, as well as whether I should have it at 2933 or 2666?

Thanks a ton!
David

There’s a very good (i.e. easy to understand) article about this on NZXT’s website:

If you’re still experiencing some video glitches, try disabling XMP Profile and then test with both 2666MHz and 2933MHz.

Even with XMP Profile enabled, we should test both 2666MHz and 2933MHz by manually setting the memory multiplier to 26.67 or 29.33.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back