Contribute
Register

Computer consistently overheating when all fans appear to be working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... I don't recall ever setting up overclocking. Any idea what in the BIOS I should be changing to restore back to regular settings? I'd set defaults for all, but I remember htat there were certain things that needed to be changed to get the system to work at all

Not sure about the Asus Prime BIOS... There might be some pre-set "multi core enhancements" that you can disable.

You can see in your own image that the CPU is clocking up to 5GHz.
IMG_9470.jpeg

Well, crap. I tried making a few adjustments based around what you said and it didn't help at all. Computer won't get past the Apple again. I guess I can reach out to ASUS and hopefully they can walk me through making sure that nothing is overclocking. Maybe that'll help. This is so frustrating.

So Asus essentially told me that it's not their problem and I should reset my BIOS to factory defaults and try again. I did that and now my computer won't boot up past the Apple screen. UGH. Anyone have any thoughts or anything I can do to help determine?

Holy ****, I think I actually managed to figure this one out on my own. I'll post back in here if it winds up not turning back on when I restart the computer.

While in Clover, I went into the Boot arguments so that I could boot in Verbose mode and post a screenshot. I saw that there were CPU settings in there as well. I had no idea what these meant, but one was checked (and when I reboot, I'll update this to say which one it was). I thought that I should not be messing with CPU stuff, so I unchecked it. I then booted and the OS actually started up. Looking at my temperatures, they're all staying below 80 degrees (instantaneous peaks above it, but then it drops down) and the Core Frequency is staying at ~4.33 consistently. Really really hoping that this keeps up like this.

And... nevermind. The temperature has climbed above 90 degrees and nearing 100 again. This is the verbose mode screenshot. Any help is really very appreciated.
IMG_9773.jpg

_Doesn't seem like anyone's in this thread, but just in case someone comes along in the future who has a similar issue, it looks like I actually, finally, maybe, probably found the solution and it's insanely simple... frustratingly so...

My CPU cooler has two components: the cooler that sits over the CPU and the radiator that is affixed to a fan that is affixed to the back of the computer. I had the cooler plugged into the CPU Fan port and the radiator portion plugged into the CHA FAN 2 port. I read a thread somewhere that suggested that maybe the fan wasn't getting enough power, so I tried plugging it in different places and eventually landed on the CPU_OPT port. I guess that port provides more power? I don't know... In any case, I switched the port and now even when I do a lot of things on the computer, it isn't going above 70 degrees.

Who knows if it'll stay this way, but in case it does and anyone reads this who is having the same problem, try switching the port!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back