Intel i9 10900X
Graphics
MSI Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello, I have a question about hardware acceleration (catalina 10.15.2 smbios imacpro) with dual vega 56.

Compressor (4.4.6) only uses the cpu when I export a movie (mp4 4k) in 8/10 bit hevc, when it should use the vega 56. I installed the latest version of WEG, Lilu etc

however in videoproc I have the green lights for the hw acceleration (hevc and h264) i can play netflix on safari and watch apple tv content.

how should i know if HW acceleration really working on my build?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2020-02-20 à 21.39.42.png
    26.9 MB · Views: 102
This is the thread I used to get mine sorted out.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/activate-amd-hardware-acceleration.2180095/

But it sounds like a setting in compressor. I assume you are using the latest version yes?

Also I assume you do this export with the GPU history window open in Activity monitor?

Open Terminal and enter (at the moment that your GPU is actually performing some video task)
Code:
Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'HW\|Command'

Here are some examples.
Nothing is using hardware encoding / decoding. Everything associated with VCE or UVD is 0.
HWAccel not in use.png

if it is something higher then GPU is working:

FFMpeg HEVC to H264 VideoToolBox copy.png

Last edited:
After several tests, I found that the problem comes from the last version of final cut pro. (10.4.8)

i test under fcpx 10.4.6 with compressor, the export to h265 works well and uses the graphics card while under 10.4.8 fcpx only uses cpu (so very long export time)

So for those who want to use h265, stay under fcpx 10.4.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back