Contribute
Register

Compressed Clone to a Bootable Installer (on 16gb flash drive).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI B250M
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Hi.
Is it possible to clone your system and then make from it an installer to install you system on a new computers?
For example on Windows there is a method exists: you create a backup image of the whole system (for example install all updates, tweak system parameters, harden the os, install some basic software and utilities).This image comes with .vhd format, then you can easily convert it to .wim format and inject (in fact simply copy & paste with replace install.wim file) into Windows Install usb or disk. As the result next time you can quickly install already tweaked ready for work system.
So is there a such thing for macOS? I only installed updates on my fresh highsierra and then tweaked a few defaults com.apple commands. It weights about 22gb and have almost the same content like fresh os, but the fresh installer weights only 6gb, as it was compressed. Maybe there's a way to compress my clone and use it on the installer so it could not be more than 16 gb? I found in installesd.dmg the some big files, but couldnt unextract them, and still not sure would the installer will work even if I'll manage to modify it somehow.
Of course though on a new system I can always rerun terminal commands from a file to achieve perfect for me settings, but downloading the updates takes a time.
Any thoughts - welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.