Contribute
Register

[Complete] Mac Classic II Hackintosh Color+ conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is impressive @phunguss!. Thanks for sharing your progress!.

Another update; post-build UPGRADE [in progress]!

What started this upgrade? A friend gave me two old classics and he wanted me to build a PC inside one for himself (not a hackintosh), so I needed a screen for it. One of the classics had a lot of internal and external damage, so not a lot to salvage, but I can use the tube for forming new covers. I found a higher resolution screen on eBay, listed as a iPad 3 resolution of 2048 x 1536, which is 4 times the existing screen (can I call it Retina?). My plexiglass cover does have some ripples, so I setup again to try to form a new one a little cleaner and clearer to see this new HD screen. I used the same vase in the oven at 320F for about 10 minutes. The first two did not come out so well, but the third one has the most promise (less ripples, but a couple bubbles formed near the edge)...
As @phunguss says, I'm also very impressed for your work. Congratulations!!!

Also, in post 8 you mention that you bought an iPad 3 display. Was that from the mini version?

Did you create a bezel for it and would you share it?

Lastly, do you accept orders for the plexiglas CRT cover?
Hello!
Yes, I believe it is an iPad 3 mini, as it is 7.9". One thing I have seen with these MiPi boards is that on MacOS, you may have to change the "overscan" of the display. On a classic, the ideal corner to corner size would be around 9", but because of the rounded corners, you will have to go smaller. I think the 9.7 would fit, but the overscan would come into play, meaning you may lose some real estate on the edges. Ideally, an 8.7" or 8.9" would be perfect. I chose the 7.9" as it was the highest resolution at the next lower size availabe to see all edges. That being said, this is for a Classic II. I think the original Mac SE has a smaller BW screen and the color Macintosh had a larger 10" screen (I have neither, so I leave it to Google-Fu, Wikipedia, or Apple-history.com).

This is the one I got from eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-7-9-in...580717?hash=item4467d1d42d:g:rqQAAOSwRodflRQR

Yes, I created a bezel for it. My printer at the time was 5.9" cube limited, so I cut it into quadrants and glued/melted it together. I will attach the .STL files here. The original 1024x768 with LVDS board holder, and the new 2048x1536 with MiPi board holder.

I don't think the site allows business to be conducted here, so no, I can't take any orders.

Attachments

• LVDS_1024x768_79.zip
    41.4 KB · Views: 97
  • MiPi_2048x1536_79.zip
    36.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back