Graphics
GMA 950
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
My 2007 Macbook is my current media center and it's dying. Currently use it for t*****t downloads and a couple different servers (Plex Logitech Mouse, AirVideo, VNC...). The system is generally not heaviliy taxed unless i watch or stream an MKV video (720p for my AppleTV 2). That's when it chokes up, buffers, and sometimes becomes unsync in audio and video.

So instead of buying a Mac Mini, I want to build an HTPC. First thought that Mini-ITX's were the way to go, but I have room for a horizontal ATX case. My media cabinet has some airflow, but i have purchased different fans to help and it's doing better. I have a friend who has built one or two HTPC's, but he is anti-apple and his suggestions may not work with OSX (Snow Leopard or Lion... haven't upgraded to Lion on my personal Mac. So i am not sure of its greatness or not) My questions begin as follows:

1) Where do i begin?
2) Is the Mobo the main thing I need to worry about when building a Mac OSX HTPC?
3) Will Sandy Bridge processors and a decent Mobo fill my needs for graphics
4) Do cases matter (friend has one he will sell me).
5) How much SSD or mechanical HDD is necessary? I have lots of external HDD (USB 2.0), but main one houses all my files and movies.
6) I am on a bit of a budget, but will $300 - $400 get me what I need... with expansion in the future?
7) Will it work with Mountain Lion?

I probably have more questions, but those are all i can think of right now. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have look at these prebuilt configures that are 100% compatible for every budget. I would recommend the Customac Mini for your budget.

Here!

And no AMD cpus don't work, and their reference is not allowed on this forum. I would edit your post. ;)

Will the CustoMac Mini 2011 be able to handle 1080p direct HDMI output? I plan to hook this right up to my 1080p TV, and I would like to watch 1080p movies. Currently 720p is as high as my old computer will operate. Currently, that is my only concern because the CustoMac Mini 2011 is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.

new features just around the corner

It Supposedly can but you might be much better off waiting for mountain lion today and seeing if HD4000 series graphics will be fully supported, and while your at it tonymac just posted that the gigabyte thunderbolt boards, the first one anyway will have thunderbolt support :)

I remember I was in the same place as yours right now- the first thing I did was:
READ ALOT OVER THE FORUMS,.. The sections are laid-out properly, starting from buying advice..
But if you're curious specifically on the softwares you want to use, regarding it's HTPC compatibility issues, then take note on the softwares you currently have, and explore the sub forums here where you can find HTPC users that utilize softwares or programs same as yours.
In my personal opinion and experience, so far I have had no issues with my softwares.
Spend a 2~3 days reading and asking over the right sections here. My best advice is: DON'T RUSH THINGS OUT. I can not stress any further. Take TIME to balance things out. My last say is that, if you secured your 'needs'- tony's HTPC builds are in no way counterproductive as compared if your using the actual macs.

Cheers!

Check out my Zomac build in my sig. That's what I'm using as my Plex Media Server (PMS) as well as Plex client. It's hooked up via HDMI to my 1080p LCD TV. I use either the Sony BD remote or Wiimote with Remote Buddy software to control it. PMS also serves video to my PS3 and IOS devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back