Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok, so I am planning on getting this as my motherboard:

Gigabyte LGA 1155 DDR3 1333 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS GA-H61M-HD2

And am considering this processor:

Intel Celeron G1610 2.60GHz LGA 1155 Processor BX80637G1610

I have been told this would work, but I went did more research and am now not so sure. This is because I am pretty sure the processor I want to get is Ivy Bridge (which is 4th gen right), however my motherboard does support 2nd and 3rd gen intel processors. I have also found out that all motherboards now need a BIOS update to use Ivy Bridge processors, yet I haven't been able to find a BOS update for Ivy Bridge compatibility on the motherboards download page on gigabyte's website. So my question is, is anyone 100% sure that I can either:

1. Run the processor on the motherboard? (no BIOS update)

or

2. Get a BIOS update for Ivy Bridge for the motherboard (link please!) and use the processor long enough to install a BIOS update?

Just wondering, cause this is my first Hackintosh, and I don't want to get the wrong parts, and not even be able to run a simple Linux distro on it. :banghead:

I think this one already supports IB CPU's. But you will need a graphics card, are you aware of that?

Ok, so I am planning on getting this as my motherboard:

Gigabyte LGA 1155 DDR3 1333 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS GA-H61M-HD2

And am considering this processor:

Intel Celeron G1610 2.60GHz LGA 1155 Processor BX80637G1610

I have been told this would work, but I went did more research and am now not so sure. This is because I am pretty sure the processor I want to get is Ivy Bridge (which is 4th gen right), however my motherboard does support 2nd and 3rd gen intel processors. I have also found out that all motherboards now need a BIOS update to use Ivy Bridge processors, yet I haven't been able to find a BOS update for Ivy Bridge compatibility on the motherboards download page on gigabyte's website. So my question is, is anyone 100% sure that I can either:

1. Run the processor on the motherboard? (no BIOS update)

That processor is third generation (Ivy Bridge), has no supported on board graphics for OSX, so add a Graphics card like a GT210 and use HDMI/DVDI-D connection between it and your monitor.
http://ark.intel.com/products/71072/

2. Get a BIOS update for Ivy Bridge for the motherboard (link please!) and use the processor long enough to install a BIOS update?

From Gigabyte website for this motherboard, see the drop down menu for "downloads"
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4390#bios

Just wondering, cause this is my first Hackintosh, and I don't want to get the wrong parts, and not even be able to run a simple Linux distro on it. :banghead:

You might consider as a novice running with a 2nd generation CPU, which will work better with that H61 chipset board. A CPU like the Intel G530 would work perfectly.

Adrian B

Adrian, why are you still recomending 2xx cards for ML? If they need a low end GFX card go for the 610/620, ML really prefers the 6xx line and that 210 is just soo old.

Its clearly a budget build as the G1610 processor and GA-H61M-HD2 motherboard show. Builder is not likely to spend more on a Graphics card at these price points. Certainly possible to use GT610/620.

Adrian B

I actually was already planning to get a Graphics Card (GeForce GT 610)
So are you saying that the Ivy Bridge processor is compatible with the motherboard, but not fully compatible with OSX?

Also, the G1610 is a 3rd generation processor, am I correct? Because on the motherboard's page on Amazon it says it does support 3rd generation processors, as well as 2nd generation processors. So the G1610 should be a good choice and it should work outs of the box? Sorry if it seems like I keep asking the same questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back