Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Precision T7610
CPU
2x Intel Xeon E5-2667v2
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 1080
1st post, dos/windows guy since 1992 (see the end) so please mock away.

About 18 months ago, i purchased a Dell Poweredge R720 and put into it 2x Intel Xeon E5-2667 v2's with 48 gigs of Samsung DDR3 1600 (ECC of course). Unfortunately, I was having problems, so I tore out the guts and put the Xeons and memory into a standard ATX case using an ASUS Z9PA-D8 ws motherboard. I began having major problems with all the GPU's I put into it about 3 months ago. So i bagged it. However, I still had all these parts and was going to try to redo the Poweredge, but I just did not have the desire to take it forward. I wanted to rebuild the desktop however, so i pony'd up for a shell Dell Precision T7610 (chassis, motherboard, PSU and heatsinks only). Only $380 bucks so not a bad bargain.

So the question now is I think this would make a great Hackintosh build, if possible. Is it?

Question #2. Given this is my first experience, if possible, will this type of machine be something a novice at hackintosh can handle? Not much in the google universe on this build type for hackintosh. I have some but not unlimited perseverance.

Question #3. I was planning on running this with SAS 2 SSD's and maybe upgrading the controller to run SAS III with multi tiered storage in the RAID array - that is a later question. However, a small amount of reading indicates as data drives they should work, but that I might have to use SATA III for the boot drive - am I correct?

Question #4. GPU. The point of this build is going to be high end photo work utilizing a 30 bit workflow. However, end stage is not really the issue, the question here is the best GPU to get the build up and running and will worry about the finalization with a nicer GPU later. What I currently have are the following: old HD7970, a slightly newer R9 280 (might be a 290, can't remember), GTX 980 Ti and a GTX 1080. Obviously the RTX 2080 is useless in my other build. What would you suggest to begin with to get the build up and running?

Question #5. Version of macOS. I read that you need a Mac to actually get a copy of macOS. I purchased a Mac Mini running El Capitan 10.11.6 because it had a keyboard, mouse and was working and was cheap. Can you recommend the best version of Mac OS? Should I upgrade the Mac Mini before grabbing a version of the OS for my build? Is that even possible?

You might want to ask why? Well its coming up on the 10 year anniversary of my father's passing. My father was a huge Apple guy. My first Apple computer was back in 1979 - an Apple IIe that my father purchased with two programs, Zork - for me and Visi Calc for him. If you know what either Zork or Visi Calc is - you are old. So this is a little bit homage on my part.

Hi levin70

I am running win10 Pro and OpenSUSE Leap 15 on my Dell T7610, I did try to install High Sierra on it awhile back, but couldn't get it to install and due to time constrain I didn't bother to troubleshoot it, but last week I have successful installed Mojave 10.14.2 and upgraded to 10.14.5. My rig is 2 xeon E5 v2 + Quadro K2000.

I also have HP z620 xeon E5 v1 + R9 280x, was running Sierra, upgrade to High Sierra and now Mojave 10.14.5,
it has a very similar kind of chip set on main board apart from Audio and USB3, with its similarity to the Dell T7610 I created a USB boot disk for Dell T7610 installation based on Z620 config.plist and kexts.

Currently I trying to perfect my T7610, but I am too busy with work, things are not working
- Sleep OK but wake up doesn't work
- USB3, I think I will get it to work
- Audio, every-time try to add a layout-id 21 for (alc280), it took age to boot and still no sound, I believe VoodooHDA will work, but haven't tried.
- SSD via SAS2308 is showing external, yellow disk, HD connected SATA has no issue, command 'diskutil list' shows (internal, physical).

#2. People in this forum are very helpful, just ask.
#3. No, SSD connected to SAS can be a boot disk with AstekFusion2Adapter.kext and AstekFusion2Family.kext in CLOVER/kexts/Others folder.
#4. As far as I know, currently Nvidia hasn't released driver for Mojave, if you search on this forum you will find what GPU card is currently supported by Mojave.
#5. Mac mini introduced in late 2012 or later can be upgraded to Mojave, google HT201475, you should able to download Mojave if your Mac mini is compatible with Mojave. I recommend Mojave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back