GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi guys, I'm hoping you can help me so here's the deal.

I've been approached by a client to build a "portable" beast of a Hackintosh that can rival/best a Mac Pro for workflows involving Final Cut Pro X and DaVinci Resolve.

The list below is a draft so all suggestions are welcome however there are some prerequisites : The build has to be at most a Micro ATX size and needs to have dual GPUs (preferably an nvidia quadro for 10bit color and a geforce card with plenty of CUDA cores) and needs to be stable enough to withstand 24/7 uptime. I am open to debate on going with either LGA 2011 or LGA 1150. Oh and I need to find a Mac compatible 10Gbit/s Fibre Channel NIC. Multiple choices sometimes with either Haswell or Sandy/Ivy Bridge-E oriented parts.

Parts list
CPU : Intel Core i7 4770K/3960X/4960X
Mobo : Asus Rampage IV Gene or a good mATX Z87 board with good PCI-e options
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM
GPUs : nVidia quadro Kxxxx (needs to be single slot) and/or nVidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti
SSDs : 3x Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB (2 for OS X in RAID 0 and third for Windows)
HDD : 2x 4TB WD Red drives in Raid 1 or separate
NIC : Mac compatible 10Gbit/s Fibre channel NIC
Case (open to ideas): Corsair Obsidian 350D or BitFenix Prodigy M
Cooler: Corsair H100i or H105 in Push/Pull
Fans : Corsair AF/SP120's depending in where they'll be
Lighting : BitFenix Alchemy red strips
PSU : Corsair AX860(i?)
DVD drive: none
Monitor : Asus PA279Q

Like I said in the beginning this is mostly open to change so send me your suggestions. I welcome them as I love this community we've got here.

Thanks

hamiltus (long time member)

Take a look at this build by Waj. You can't use the mITX version of the Prodigy but they do
have a mATX version now. The Phenom M case would also work if you want a small form factor.
For your motherboard go with either an Asus or GA microATX board, Z87 of course. Not sure how
the AX860i psu would fit into one of the Bitfenix cases, do some research on that to make sure it
would be usable in the case. It's pretty big and sometimes the modular PSUs won't work very well
in a Prodigy case.

In the video benchmarks it's pretty amazing to see the scores he gets with just a 3770K on a mini-itx motherboard.

[video=youtube_share;SVMhKaq3MDY]http://youtu.be/SVMhKaq3MDY[/video]

TRS96 - would you happen to know what the build list is in that video?

I too am looking for a Compact Video editing machine.

Take a look at this build by Waj. You can't use the mITX version of the Prodigy but they do
have a mATX version now. The Phenom M case would also work if you want a small form factor.
For your motherboard go with either an Asus or GA microATX board, Z87 of course. Not sure how
the AX860i psu would fit into one of the Bitfenix cases, do some research on that to make sure it
would be usable in the case. It's pretty big and sometimes the modular PSUs won't work very well
in a Prodigy case.

In the video benchmarks it's pretty amazing to see the scores he gets with just a 3770K on a mini-itx motherboard.

[video=youtube_share;SVMhKaq3MDY]http://youtu.be/SVMhKaq3MDY[/video]

TRS96 - would you happen to know what the build list is in that video?

I too am looking for a Compact Video editing machine.

He doesn't list the motherboard he used but I'd imagine it was a Z77n-Wifi by Gigagbyte.
If you want a similar build go with the Haswell Z87n-wifi and the I7-4770K. He also used
2 Samsung 840's in raid 0 to get those SSD speeds. If you're going to over clock like he
did then get something like the Corsair H60 liquid cooler. Hope that helps. You can always
try to PM Waj to get more info too.

He doesn't list the motherboard he used but I'd imagine it was a Z77n-Wifi by Gigagbyte.
If you want a similar build go with the Haswell Z87n-wifi and the I7-4770K. He also used
2 Samsung 840's in raid 0 to get those SSD speeds. If you're going to over clock like he
did then get something like the Corsair H60 liquid cooler. Hope that helps. You can always
try to PM Waj to get more info too.

THanks for your reply TRS, I tried pm'ing you earlier, but unfortunately, I haven't posted enough for this forum to allow me to pm people :crazy:

I won't be overclocking and am on somewhat of a budget. AND have no clue when it comes to computer parts. Would I be able to use the list provided on the 'Customac' (non pro) and substitute to use the Haswell z87n-wifi (gigabyte brand?) + i74770 parts you are mentioning?

Much appreciated - SORRY FOR HIGHJACKING THIS THREAD :confused:

THanks for your reply TRS, I tried pm'ing you earlier, but unfortunately, I haven't posted enough for this forum to allow me to pm people :crazy:

I won't be overclocking and am on somewhat of a budget. AND have no clue when it comes to computer parts. Would I be able to use the list provided on the 'Customac' (non pro) and substitute to use the Haswell z87n-wifi (gigabyte brand?) + i74770 parts you are mentioning?

TRS do you have a personal email or contact i can get at you for a bit of noobie guidance? or if you could email me [email protected]

Much appreciated - SORRY FOR HIGHJACKING THIS THREAD :confused:

Per the forum rules we can only offer support for members via this method not through email.
If you won't overclock just get the H87n version and either a I5-4570 or an I7-4770 if your
budget is big enough for the I7. For graphics the GTX 760 is more than enough. The rest of the
choices, ram, case, psu and storage are not that critical and you can pick whatever suits your needs.

Per the forum rules we can only offer support for members via this method not through email.
If you won't overclock just get the H87n version and either a I5-4570 or an I7-4770 if your
budget is big enough for the I7. For graphics the GTX 760 is more than enough. The rest of the
choices, ram, case, psu and storage are not that critical and you can pick whatever suits your needs.

Would you suggest the GA-Z87N-WIFI because of overclocking over the h87n which something you can't overclock?

i see these are micro itx mobos, what am I sacrificing for not going a full size Atx mobo instead?

thann you trs

Would you suggest the GA-Z87N-WIFI because of overclocking over the h87n which something you can't overclock?
If you don't plan on over clocking, just get the H87N and the non-K cpu. It will save you some money.

i see these are mini-itx mobos, what am I sacrificing for not going a full size Atx mobo instead?

thank you trs

Mini-ITX are limited to 16GB of ram and only 1 PCIe slot, so if you need more of either of those
two things, go mATX or larger.

Hmm yea I'll need more than 1 pci slot for graphic card and potentially a wireless networking card.

I haven't thought about overclocking, because I thought it might be too difficult? Perhaps I may just get a board and cpu that allows for that, and figure out overclocking in the future.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back