Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 F23g
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
The version you have is the Developers version ending in ...343j the Public Released version ends in ....343i There are no differences in the two except one is released first for obvious reasons and I am guessing you're not an Official registered Apple Developer otherwise you'd know this.

My advice, be very careful where you obtain Apple Beta software, always get them from Apple's website through the proper channels/programs as harmful embedded material can be added to the Betas by unscrupulous individuals in the downloads. If you want to be part of the cutting edge crowd so to speak, sign up for the Developers Program, the yearly fee is nominal and the d/loads are safer than the off site ones.
Thank you for your comprehensive feedback. I have been an active developer for a number of years, but because I chose to scale down my activities in front of a computer screen I opted not to renew my subscription this time around. I obtained my beta copy "public beta 1" directly through the regular Apple channel. A table depicting the beta history of Big Sur - without his lady "Small Lay" has been attached. I am currently on Big Sur 11.0 public beta 1 20A5343j Darwin 20.0.0
My confusion stems from the fact that Apple does not designate a consecutive numbering system for its Big Sur beta offering - Public beta starts at 1 whereas the "almost ?" identical developer beta is already at beta 4 - the difference being in the small letters i and j, at the end of the build number.
I like Big Sur, public beta 1, it is much more stable than I originally anticipated, thanks largely to the efforts of the opencore developers, at least that is my opinion. I also do not know whether I am hallucinating but overall text seems to be even crisper than that of Catalina. The latter will nevertheless remain my daily workhorse :) for quite some time to come, next year, perhaps March or April, with stable release 4 or so, I might switch to "Small Lay's better half :)". In the meantime I am tinkering around Big Sur, when time permits, enabling me to make an educated decision when the time is right to perhaps replace Catalina.

Greetings henties

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 9.36.12 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 9.36.12 AM.png
    361.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
...A table depicting the beta history of Big Sur - without his lady "Small Lay" has been attached...
Not the "Sur" you're looking for.
"The original Spanish-language name for the mountainous terrain south of Monterey was el país grande del sur, which means "the big country of the south."[5] The name el Sud (also meaning "the south") was first used in the Rancho El Sur land grant made in 1834. In 1915, English-speaking settlers formally adopted "Big Sur" as the name for their post office."

@Superbogey thanks for your explanation, very interesting indeed. My original train of thought, as you will appreciate, was intended to channel the thoughts of the reader into quite a different, read naughty, to put it mildly, direction. :)

Greeting henties

Last edited:
Oh, just discovered that on 19 August 2019, a year ago, Apple seeded the six developer beta, today we are still only at developer beta 4, for Big Sur.

The first public beta for Catalina was released on 24 June 2019, so it appears that Apple is advancing the development of Big Sur at a different, reduced pace, compared to Catalina, a year ago. Maybe that approach will manifest itself into more usable and stable beta iterations of Big Sur, than what we experienced with Catalina, which in my humble opinion, has taken a very long time, well after its final release date, to acquire the stability one would normally expect from Apple, or is it perhaps attributable to the bootloaders that were not as mature as they are today in our hackintosh environment ???

Greetings henties

Oh, just discovered that on 19 August 2019, a year ago, Apple seeded the six developer beta, today we are still only at developer beta 4, for Big Sur.

The first public beta for Catalina was released on 24 June 2019, so it appears that Apple is advancing the development of Big Sur at a different, reduced pace, compared to Catalina, a year ago. Maybe that approach will manifest itself into more usable and stable beta iterations of Big Sur, than what we experienced with Catalina, which in my humble opinion, has taken a very long time, well after its final release date, to acquire the stability one would normally expect from Apple, or is it perhaps attributable to the bootloaders that were not as mature as they are today in our hackintosh environment ???

Greetings henties
They are too busy counting their 2 trillion dollars from all of us

They are too busy counting their 2 trillion dollars from all of us
"From all of" us seems an overstatement because members the hackintosh family surely did not contribute to Apple's fortunes, in monetary terms, at all.

Greeting henties

"From all of" us seems an overstatement because members the hackintosh family surely did not contribute to Apple's fortunes, in monetary terms, at all.

Greeting henties
Yes we do, we buy the aps from the app store, and own Mac laptops and I phones icloud storage , we all have Ipods and itunes, watches as well, my kids still buy games and apps from the apple store, costs me a fortune

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back