Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
H55CM
CPU
I3-530
Graphics
Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 07.43.24.png

Hi, I have a Realtek 525a PCIE sd card reader on my HP laptop that there is no kext. But there is an icon on the menu bar to power it off. I want to find a way to write a script to turn it off (so I can run the script every time the laptop boots or come back from sleep). Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks!

I would suggest you look at creating an SSDT to disable/turn off the card reader when you run macOS. There are examples of this type of SSDT for unsupported graphics cards and EHCx USB controllers.

You would need to look in IORegistryExplorer to confirm the path for the card reader and use that in the SSDT to disable it.

If you add the 'if (_OSI ("Darwin"))' to the SSDT it should only disable the card reader for macOS and it should work as normal in Windows or Linux (assuming the correct drivers are installed).

Using an SSDT would not require you to run a Terminal command after each boot, as the SSDT would be added to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder and form part of your permanent setup.

I would also look to see what you have installed to add the Card Reader icon to your Menu bar, as icons don't appear on there own. Something must be installed to have the unsupported card reader icon appear.

I would suggest you look at creating an SSDT to disable/turn off the card reader when you run macOS. There are examples of this type of SSDT for unsupported graphics cards and EHCx USB controllers.

You would need to look in IORegistryExplorer to confirm the path for the card reader and use that in the SSDT to disable it.

If you add the 'if (_OSI ("Darwin"))' to the SSDT it should only disable the card reader for macOS and it should work as normal in Windows or Linux (assuming the correct drivers are installed).

Using an SSDT would not require you to run a Terminal command after each boot, as the SSDT would be added to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder and form part of your permanent setup.

I would also look to see what you have installed to add the Card Reader icon to your Menu bar, as icons don't appear on there own. Something must be installed to have the unsupported card reader icon appear.
I have followed those online tutorial for graphic cards. What they do is to mismatch the vendor or class-id. However the PCIE device can still be seen. This PCIE device has a very weird feature HotPlug=True. I can see it in the IOReg. I tried to set the value for it, did not seem to work. No kext was added, I am sure about it.

Can you download and install DPCIManager application, copy below or you can download a copy from Source Forge. Copy the App to your Applications folder and open it.
  1. Navigate to the PCI List tab in the DPCIManager app
  2. Stretch the app's window so you can see all the details and devices.
  3. Find your card reader.
  4. in the far left hand column there is a magnifying glass icon, click on the icon beside your card reader's Vendor ID.
  5. This should open a Finder window containing a kext, there may be a few kexts but one will be highlighted.
  6. The highlighted kext is loading against your card reader, when your system starts.
  7. On a rare occasion it will just suggest a kext, that is when nothing is associated with the device.
This is what the DPCIManager app looks like on my iMac1 system:

Screenshot 2020-11-13 at 15.58.02.png

I have not heard of a card reader being active without a native Apple or third-party kext being loaded. So hopefully this application will help you discover which kext is loading against your card reader.

Attachments

• DPCIManager_ML.zip
    1 MB · Views: 34
Can you download and install DPCIManager application, copy below or you can download a copy from Source Forge. Copy the App to your Applications folder and open it.
  1. Navigate to the PCI List tab in the DPCIManager app
  2. Stretch the app's window so you can see all the details and devices.
  3. Find your card reader.
  4. in the far left hand column there is a magnifying glass icon, click on the icon beside your card reader's Vendor ID.
  5. This should open a Finder window containing a kext, there may be a few kexts but one will be highlighted.
  6. The highlighted kext is loading against your card reader, when your system starts.
  7. On a rare occasion it will just suggest a kext, that is when nothing is associated with the device.
This is what the DPCIManager app looks like on my iMac1 system:

View attachment 495630

I have not heard of a card reader being active without a native Apple or third-party kext being loaded. So hopefully this application will help you discover which kext is loading against your card reader
Thanks for the software! I had this app installed. It is strange that no kext is loaded. But I think the reason I have a way to turn it off is that OS X treats it as a removable PCIE device (without knowing what it is). Anyway, now there is a working kext for 525a, I guess I can keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back